Hydrogen Atom; energy state transitions

In summary: Start by finding the correct formula. The formula for the energy levels has an n^2 in the denominator, not the numerator.
hhhmortal

Homework Statement

A hydrogen atom is initially in the state n=3. Subsequently it falls to its ground state with the emission of a photon. If the photon energy is ћω , then what is the ground state energy?

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using E= h².n²/8ma².

and got -9ћω/8

I wasn't to sure how to go about with this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Uh, how did you get a negative ground state energy using that formula?

Dick said:
Uh, how did you get a negative ground state energy using that formula?

Not too sure. I think that formula would just give you the energy of the level, but doesn't the electron in that level require that amount of energy to be ionised, hence the negative sign.

hhhmortal said:
Not too sure. I think that formula would just give you the energy of the level, but doesn't the electron in that level require that amount of energy to be ionised, hence the negative sign.

You are right about that. And in fact, I think your answer is right. On the other hand the formula you gave for E is wrong. Why do you try and write down a clear derivation of your result?

Dick said:
You are right about that. And in fact, I think your answer is right. On the other hand the formula you gave for E is wrong. Why do you try and write down a clear derivation of your result?

I'm not too sure, I think I just used that equation then I canceled out certain terms and multiplied it by ћω. This is wrong, but I can't find the right way of doing it.

hhhmortal said:
I'm not too sure, I think I just used that equation then I canceled out certain terms and multiplied it by ћω. This is wrong, but I can't find the right way of doing it.

Start by finding the correct formula. The formula for the energy levels has an n^2 in the denominator, not the numerator. How can you be 'not to sure' of how you got the answer?!

Related to Hydrogen Atom; energy state transitions

1. What is a hydrogen atom?

A hydrogen atom is the simplest and most abundant atom in the universe. It consists of one proton in the nucleus and one electron orbiting around it.

2. What are energy state transitions in a hydrogen atom?

Energy state transitions refer to the movement of an electron between different energy levels in a hydrogen atom. This occurs when the electron absorbs or emits energy in the form of photons.

3. How do energy state transitions affect the properties of a hydrogen atom?

The energy state transitions determine the spectral lines of hydrogen, which are used to identify its presence in stars and other objects. They also affect the reactivity and chemical properties of the atom.

4. What is the significance of the energy levels in a hydrogen atom?

The energy levels in a hydrogen atom are quantized, meaning that only certain values are allowed. This has important implications in understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules, as well as in modern physics and quantum mechanics.

5. How are energy state transitions in a hydrogen atom related to the concept of emission and absorption spectra?

Energy state transitions in a hydrogen atom result in the emission or absorption of photons, which can be detected as spectral lines in the electromagnetic spectrum. These lines are unique to each element and can be used to identify the presence of hydrogen in various environments.