Hydrogen atom at finitine temperature

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the partition function in describing atoms at finite temperatures. The question is raised about the accuracy of using the ordinary partition function and whether there is a better method. The topic also involves evaluating the partition function for a specific value and the probability of finding the atom in different states. It is noted that this topic involves both classical physics and quantum mechanics, with the latter being the dominant aspect. The statement is made that partition functions are not introduced in thermodynamics.
Gavroy
hi

i asked myself, is it correct to use the ordinary partition function and cut it off at some value to describe the atom at some finite temperature? or is there a better way to do this calculation?

and if i evaluate the partition function for let me say n=2. does this mean, that the probability of finding the atom in the states 2s, 2px, 2py, 2pz is the same for each state or are there any differences?

Science news on Phys.org
How is this classical physics?

well it is both: quantum mechanics and thermodynamics.

but i guess, the last one is the dominant part here...

Partition functions are not introduced in Thermodynamics.

I would say that it is not appropriate to use the ordinary partition function and cut it off at some value to describe the hydrogen atom at finite temperature. This is because the ordinary partition function assumes that the energy levels are continuous, which is not the case for the hydrogen atom. Instead, a more accurate approach would be to use the discrete partition function, which takes into account the discrete energy levels of the hydrogen atom.

When evaluating the partition function for a specific energy level, such as n=2, it is important to note that the probability of finding the atom in each state (2s, 2px, 2py, 2pz) is not necessarily the same. This is because each state has a different energy and therefore a different probability of being occupied at a given temperature. It is important to consider the energy levels and their corresponding probabilities when studying the behavior of the hydrogen atom at finite temperature.

Related to Hydrogen atom at finitine temperature

1. What is a hydrogen atom at finite temperature?

A hydrogen atom at finite temperature refers to the state of a single hydrogen atom when it is not at absolute zero temperature (0 Kelvin), but rather at a temperature greater than 0 Kelvin. At this state, the atom is still in motion and has kinetic energy.

2. How does temperature affect a hydrogen atom?

The temperature of a hydrogen atom affects its energy and motion. As the temperature increases, the atom gains more energy and moves faster, resulting in increased collisions and interactions with other particles.

3. What is the behavior of a hydrogen atom at finite temperature?

At finite temperature, a hydrogen atom exhibits a range of behaviors depending on the temperature. At low temperatures, the atom will move slowly and have a small amount of energy, while at high temperatures, the atom will move rapidly and have a higher amount of energy.

4. How is the energy of a hydrogen atom related to temperature?

The energy of a hydrogen atom is directly proportional to temperature. As the temperature increases, the energy of the atom also increases. This is due to the fact that temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles.

5. Can a hydrogen atom reach absolute zero temperature?

No, a hydrogen atom (or any particle) cannot reach absolute zero temperature as it would require the complete absence of any molecular motion, which is not possible according to the laws of thermodynamics. However, scientists have been able to cool atoms to extremely low temperatures, close to absolute zero.