Hydrogen and it's Specific Heat.

In summary, hydrogen is known for its high specific heat capacity, but its highly flammable nature makes it tricky to use in certain applications. It is sometimes used as a coolant in large electrical generators, but precautions must be taken due to its potential to ignite when mixed with oxygen and a spark is present.
Amit Kumar
Hello,

I had a few questions regarding hydrogen.
I know for a fact that hydrogen has a high value of specific heat.
My questions are:
1). Isn't hydrogen supposed to be a good coolant, and if it is is it actually used ?
2). If it is a good coolant how does it work as a fuel ?

I hope these questions make sense, and thanks in advance.

Science news on Phys.org
Amit Kumar said:
Hello,

I had a few questions regarding hydrogen.
I know for a fact that hydrogen has a high value of specific heat.
My questions are:
1). Isn't hydrogen supposed to be a good coolant, and if it is is it actually used ?
2). If it is a good coolant how does it work as a fuel ?

I hope these questions make sense, and thanks in advance.
It's tricky using elemental hydrogen in many applications because it is highly flammable in the presence of oxygen and open flames, static electricity, etc.

Hydrogen's physical properties, like specific heat capacity, are separate from its chemical characteristics. Whether or not hydrogen is a good coolant has nothing to do with whether it will ignite if mixed with oxygen and a spark is made. :))

Here's what happens:

OB-JO765_0814hi_G_20100814162559.jpg

Likes Vanadium 50

Related to Hydrogen and it's Specific Heat.

1. What is the specific heat of hydrogen?

The specific heat of hydrogen is approximately 14.304 J/g·K at standard temperature and pressure. This means that it takes 14.304 joules of energy to raise the temperature of 1 gram of hydrogen by 1 Kelvin.

2. How does the specific heat of hydrogen compare to other elements?

Hydrogen has a relatively low specific heat compared to other elements. This is due to its small atomic mass and simple molecular structure, which allows for less energy to be absorbed per unit mass.

3. How does the specific heat of hydrogen change with temperature?

The specific heat of hydrogen increases slightly as temperature increases. This is because at higher temperatures, the rotational and vibrational energy levels of hydrogen atoms become more accessible, leading to a greater heat capacity.

4. What is the significance of hydrogen's high specific heat?

Hydrogen's high specific heat makes it an excellent coolant for high-temperature applications, such as in nuclear reactors or rocket engines. It also plays a crucial role in regulating Earth's climate, as it is a major component of water and helps to moderate temperature changes.

5. How is hydrogen's specific heat measured?

The specific heat of hydrogen is typically measured using calorimetry, which involves measuring the amount of heat absorbed or released by a substance as its temperature changes. This can be done using specialized equipment such as a bomb calorimeter or a differential scanning calorimeter.