Hydraulic Diameter: Calculate & Understand It

In summary, the hydraulic diameter is a calculation used for determining the Reynolds number and heat transfer coefficient. It is equal to the cross-sectional area of the flow divided by the wetted perimeter. The size of the rectangular tubes may vary, but the total area of the opening should be calculated to accurately determine the hydraulic diameter.
leonita
Hi, I just confuse how to know this hydraulic diameter, would you mind to help me?
hydraulic diameter is for reynold calculation then heat transfer coefficient.
Thank you

Attachments

• tanya reynold.png
    tanya reynold.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 492
  • hydraulic diameter.png
    hydraulic diameter.png
    67.8 KB · Views: 567
Last edited by a moderator:
The hydraulic diameter is the cross-sectional area of the flow divided by the wetted perimeter. The basic form is: D(h)= 4*A / P(w). For a circle, that just becomes D(h) = D, for other shapes it varies. Here's a page from Engineering Toolbox: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/hydraulic-equivalent-diameter-d_458.html

I'm not sure what level of work this is though. It could be as simple as figuring out the hydraulic diameter of that geometry, but it could also require you to account for possible phenomena like "vena contracta"; though most likely not.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. In my case, I used Hydraulic Diameter of Rectangular Tubes or Ducts.
However, the size of the rectangular tubes is different (decreasing). We can see it in the picture above.
In the first, size is 1.5 cm x 2.6 cm then it will decrease until 0.3 cm x 2.6 cm.
Do you have any suggestion?
Thank you

The definition uses the "cross sectional area".
Can you think of a way to calculate the total area of the opening (including the triangular/trapezoidal areas on the ends)?

Related to Hydraulic Diameter: Calculate & Understand It

1. What is hydraulic diameter?

Hydraulic diameter is a measure of the effective cross-sectional area of a duct or pipe through which a fluid flows. It is used to represent the size of a non-circular duct or pipe with a circular equivalent, making calculations and comparisons easier.

2. How is hydraulic diameter calculated?

Hydraulic diameter is calculated by dividing four times the cross-sectional area of the duct by the wetted perimeter, or the length of the duct's interior wall that comes into contact with the fluid. The resulting value is then squared and divided by the cross-sectional area.

3. What is the significance of hydraulic diameter?

Hydraulic diameter is used to characterize the flow of fluids in non-circular ducts or pipes, making it an important parameter in many engineering and scientific applications. It is also used to determine the Reynolds number, which is a dimensionless quantity used to predict flow patterns and turbulence.

4. What are the units of hydraulic diameter?

The units of hydraulic diameter depend on the units of the cross-sectional area and wetted perimeter. For example, if the cross-sectional area is measured in square meters and the wetted perimeter is measured in meters, then the hydraulic diameter will have units of meters.

5. Can hydraulic diameter be negative?

No, hydraulic diameter cannot be negative. It is a measure of size and must always have a positive value. If the calculated value for hydraulic diameter is negative, it is likely due to an error in the calculation or incorrect input values.