Huygen Wavefront: Drawing a Tangent to Wavelets

• Thread starter gracy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wavefront
In summary: If you show only two wavelets then you will not get cancellation in other directions - you will have a circular resultant wavefront with amplitude variation with angle (Young Slits idea).
gracy
One rule of huygen theory isfollowing
The new wavefront is https://www.boundless.com/definition/tangent/ to the wavelets.
ReflRefr.gif

If we look at reflection,to draw new wavefront we should draw tangent to the wavelets.should the two blue wavelets touch each other?Cannot we draw tangent to these blue wavelets even when they are not touching each other to get the new wavefronts?

Physics news on Phys.org
gracy said:
Cannot we draw tangent to these blue wavelets even when they are not touching each other to get the new wavefronts?
I am saying that
upload_2015-2-17_15-20-39.png

Is it right?The two wavelets are not touching each other at any point,so will the tangent give the new wavefront?

It's only the tangents for both /all wavelets that tell you where you get additive interference. If you take arbitrary tangents, the wavelets will not interfere constructively to form a wavefront. (Is that what was worrying you?)
It is only another statement of the Fermat Principle.

sophiecentaur said:
It's only the tangents for both /all wavelets that tell you where you get additive interference
Is my tangent(the tangent I have drawn in my picture)going to give me new wavefront?

gracy said:
Is my tangent(the tangent I have drawn in my picture)going to give me new wavefront?
How can it, if it does not end up in phase with all the others, from the other wavelets?
There is only one direction in which this happens.

sophiecentaur said:
How can it, if it does not end up in phase with all the others, from the other wavelets?
But in my animation ,tangent to only two wavelets is giving new wavefront.

gracy said:
But in my animation ,tangent to only two wavelets is giving new wavefront.
You have not shown two tangents, parallel to each other, in your diagram. If they are not parallel, then they will be sweeping in and out of phase as they travel outwards and there will be no wave formed. The only direction which a wave will form and be sustained is in the direction that the laws of reflection predict.
I had a similar problem to you, when I fought this thing initially (way back in history).

There is another point. If you show only two wavelets then you will not get cancellation in other directions - you will have a circular resultant wavefront with amplitude variation with angle (Young Slits idea). The reflection laws only give the maximum amplitude direction and ignore diffraction effects. i.e. it assumes a very wide reflector and ignores the effect of the restricted aperture.

Last edited:

Related to Huygen Wavefront: Drawing a Tangent to Wavelets

1. What is a Huygen wavefront?

A Huygen wavefront is a geometric construction used to visualize and understand the propagation of waves. It is based on the principle that each point on a wavefront acts as a source of secondary spherical wavelets, which in turn create a new wavefront tangent to the original one.

2. How is a tangent drawn to wavelets using the Huygen wavefront construction?

To draw a tangent to wavelets using the Huygen wavefront construction, we first draw a series of secondary wavelets emanating from each point on the original wavefront. Then, we draw a line connecting the peaks of these wavelets, which will represent the tangent to the original wavefront.

3. What is the significance of drawing a tangent to wavelets?

Drawing a tangent to wavelets allows us to visualize the direction of wave propagation and understand how wavefronts move and interact with each other. It also helps in predicting the behavior of waves in different mediums and conditions.

4. What are some real-life applications of the Huygen wavefront construction?

The Huygen wavefront construction has various real-life applications, such as in optics to understand the behavior of light, in seismology to study earthquake waves, and in acoustics to analyze sound waves. It is also used in radar and sonar technology to track the movement of objects.

5. Are there any limitations of the Huygen wavefront construction?

While the Huygen wavefront construction is a useful tool for visualizing wave propagation, it is based on simplifying assumptions and does not always accurately represent the behavior of waves in complex situations. Additionally, it is limited to waves that propagate in a straight line and do not experience diffraction.