HUP and the effects of measuring a particle

In summary, the interaction between a photon and a particle can affect its direction and mass, potentially influencing its position and momentum. It is uncertain if it would also affect the particle's speed. Regarding the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, the interaction may not directly impact the momentum uncertainty, as it is primarily a statement about the wavefunction. However, there may be indirect links that have not been fully explored.
Fiziqs
If I want to measure the position of a particle, and to do so I bombard it with a photon. What attributes of the particle will this interaction affect?

I would think that it could affect both the particle's direction and its mass, which in turn would have an effect on both its position and its momentum. But what I'm not certain of is whether it would affect the particle's speed. I wouldn't think so, but I'm not sure

As far as HUP is concerned, what are the important attributes that the interaction would affect. Direction? Mass? Speed? Anything else?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first part of your question: it's a tough one, since it depends on how idealized the situation is you're describing. I presume you're talking about non-relativistic quantum theory? In that case the (rest) mass and spin (the total spin, not the projection) of a particle is invariable. Also the charge cannot change. For the rest I cannot think of any quantities that definitely won't change, but maybe I haven't given it enough thought just yet. On first sight I would characterize all the variables that can change as those kinematical in nature.

As for the HUP: although it is often said, it's never been theoretically argued that the HUP has anything to do with the measuring process itself, i.e. the uncertainty in momentum is not due to the the fact that the momentum of a particle changes when undergoing a position measurement, although it is often claimed in wishy washy books. The HUP is actually a statement about the wavefunction. I'm not saying that in a roundabout way the HUP can't be linked to what you're implying, I'm just saying I have never seen it done (again, in a non-wishy-washy way).

Related to HUP and the effects of measuring a particle

1. What is the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle (HUP)?

The HUP is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute precision at the same time. This is due to the wave-particle duality of quantum particles, where measuring one property affects the other.

2. How does measuring a particle affect its state?

When a particle is measured, it interacts with the measuring device and causes a disturbance in its state. This can lead to a change in its position, momentum, or other properties. The more precisely one property is measured, the more uncertain the other properties become.

3. What are the practical implications of the HUP?

The HUP has important implications in various fields, such as quantum computing, cryptography, and microscopy. It sets a limit on how accurately certain measurements can be made and affects the precision of technological devices that rely on quantum phenomena.

4. Can the HUP be violated or overcome?

No, the HUP is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics and has been extensively tested and proven to hold true. It cannot be violated or overcome, but its effects can be minimized by using advanced measurement techniques and technologies.

5. Is there any way to fully understand the behavior of quantum particles?

The behavior of quantum particles, including the effects of measuring them, can be described and predicted using mathematical models and theories. However, it is not possible to fully understand or visualize their behavior based on our everyday experiences and intuition.