Humans have true 4D spatial vision

• Thread starter Mortimer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    4d Vision
In summary, humans have full 4D spatial vision, meaning that they are able to observe all four dimensions (three spatial dimensions and one temporal dimension) of objects. This is in contrast to a truly 3D spatial vision, where only a single point of an object is visible with a time-coordinate that coincides with the observer's. The concept of time dilation, which suggests that time passes more slowly for objects in motion, is based on a misunderstanding of the meaning of time and the fact that there is no absolute time. Therefore, objects in motion do not vanish in the past, as they are constantly moving through the present and future, and we are able to measure multiple points of a moving object at once.
Mortimer
Humans have full 4D spatial vision

Consider this:
1) objects in motion show non-simultaneities along the direction of motion (the "temporal distance" between the endpoints is [tex]\gamma vl/c^2[/tex])
2) objects in motion show time dilation (the "temporal velocity" runs slow with a factor [tex]1/\gamma[/tex])

If our spatial vision would have been truly 3D:
1) implies that we would only see(*) a single point of the object with precisely the time-coordinate that coincides with ours.
2) implies that moving objects would vanish in the past alltogether.

Those things obviously don't happen so we have full 4D spatial vision, i.e. we can observe all 4 dimensions in its entirety.

(*) With "see" in this context I mean the usual "instant observation" of events as often used in relativistic thought experiments.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you see things that do not have the same time-cordinates as yourself in your own frame of reference (not taking into account the time it takes time to travel from them to you)?

Yes you can. Its even so that every moving thing around you has different time coordinates compared to yourself.

Last edited:
Mortimer said:
Consider this:
1) objects in motion show non-simultaneities along the direction of motion (the "temporal distance" between the endpoints is [tex]\gamma vl/c^2[/tex])
2) objects in motion show time dilation (the "temporal velocity" runs slow with a factor [tex]1/\gamma[/tex])

1) implies that we would only see(*) a single point of the object with precisely the time-coordinate that coincides with ours.

Those things obviously don't happen so we have full 4D spatial vision, i.e. we can observe all 4 dimensions in its entirety.

(*) With "see" in this context I mean the usual "instant observation" of events as often used in relativistic thought experiments.

Your conclusion is based on a misinterpretation of the meaning of time dilation (assuming I understand what you really mean). There is no absolute time. Time has no meaning except in relation to physical processes. Time is always defined in terms of physical processes. The time coordinate is different from the spatial coordinate--the spatial coordinate is defined in terms of the spatial relationship between two objects, not in terms of the interaction between them. I'm not being very clear at all.

I'll simply respond to each point you make:

1a)not sure what you mean, but its been a while since I've touched a relativity text.
2a) Temporal velocity is a meaningless term, its not even a term. Time passes more slowly for an object in motion, but the object in motion thinks that it is the stationary observer who's clock is moving slowly. There is no difference, because there is no absolute motion or absolute space.

1a)No. We don't see objects at all. We see photons that have been emitted from or reflected by these objects. Those photons are in the same 'time coordinate' as ourselves, yes. But what where we think an object is based on sight is independent of where it actaully is, we don't really 'see' objects at all. We see where they were when the photon striking our retina left them. That photon is in the same time coordinate as us.
2b) huh? Where do you get this? Its sound like you're envisioning some absolute clock and since we're running faster than them, they slip behind us in time. No, there is no absolute time. Ten seconds for them, ten years for us, and then we shake hands. They think its been ten second, we think its been ten years. But they have not 'slipped into the past'.

Your conclusions seem to be based on a loose conception of an absolute time, something which does not exist.

Mortimer said:

This sounds correct to me. We only see a single point of a 4 Dimensional object and we do not see objects in the past. We only remember objects from the past.

Vision is more a 3 dimensional representation of 2 dimensional images. Vision is not 4 dimensional.

franznietzsche said:
We don't see objects at all. We see photons that have been emitted from or reflected by these objects.
Granted. Forget about photons altogether and read "measure" wherever I said "see".
franznietzsche said:
1a)not sure what you mean, but its been a while since I've touched a relativity text.
That's a pitty because this is the essential point. We measure time coordinates as a rising or descending function of the spatial coordinate along the direction of motion in an object that moves while we measure these time coordinates to be constant when the object is in rest. We are able to measure multiple points of this object at a single instant in our time (by using multiple clocks on a measuring rod), despite the fact that the timecoordinates of the moving objects do not coincide (or only at one clock). See picture. So we measure the past, present and future of the object all at once.

Attachments

• time.jpg
    time.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 656
ah physics in a psychological world.

Related to Humans have true 4D spatial vision

1. What is 4D spatial vision?

4D spatial vision refers to the ability of humans to perceive and understand objects and their movements in three-dimensional space, as well as their position in time. This means that our vision allows us to see objects as they move and change in their environment, in addition to their physical location.

2. How is 4D spatial vision different from regular vision?

Regular vision, also known as 3D vision, allows us to see objects in three dimensions. However, 4D spatial vision adds the dimension of time, allowing us to perceive and understand the movement and changes of objects in our environment.

3. Is 4D spatial vision a common trait among humans?

Yes, 4D spatial vision is a common trait among humans. It is an innate ability that most people possess, although the degree and accuracy of this vision may vary from person to person.

4. How does 4D spatial vision benefit humans?

4D spatial vision is essential for our survival and daily functioning. It allows us to navigate and interact with our surroundings, accurately judge distances and motion, and perceive depth and perspective in our vision. It also helps us to anticipate and react to potential dangers or changes in our environment.

5. Can 4D spatial vision be improved or enhanced?

While 4D spatial vision is an innate ability, it can be improved and enhanced through practice and training. Activities such as video games, sports, and spatial puzzles can help develop and refine this skill. Additionally, certain vision therapies and exercises can also improve 4D spatial vision.