Human Bone Youngs Modulus and Load Question

In summary, a human bone with a young's modulus of 10^10 N m^-2 can sustain a maximum load of 30000N when its cross-sectional area is 3cm^2 and compressive strain does not exceed 1%. The formula for calculating this load is F = Y * (change in length / original length) * cross-sectional area, with Y representing the young's modulus. It is important to note that the units for Y and the cross-sectional area must be in N m^-2 and m^2, respectively, in order to get the correct answer in Newtons.
ElBell

Homework Statement

A human bone has a youngs modulus of 10^10 N m^-2. It fractures when the compressive strain exceeds 1%. What is the maximum load that can be sustained by a bone of cross sectional area 3cm^2?

Homework Equations

?

F= Y*(change in length/ original length)* cross sectional area

The Attempt at a Solution

F= (10*10^10)* (1/100)* (3^2)

I then get the answer 9* 10^8

I don't understand what units I am supposed to use...and if this answer appears correct or not.

Can anyone shed any light? Have I done this correctly?

TIA! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
you can't use cm^2 your constant is in N/m^2, also you don't square it...

i get 30000N Newtons is the unit from your actual question
ps Y is 10^10 not 10*10^10 could be a typo??

When I take onboard the tips you have given me, I get the same answer as you! I thought (10* 10^10) was the same as (10^10)?

Anyway, I also received an answer of 30000.

Is that the final answer? Do I need to do something with the results? Isnt that too big?

not really sure what you mean, that is the answer... units of force are Newtons. and who did you receive an answer form... teacher?

No I didnt receive an answer from teacher, I formulated it myself but it appears I didnt get it right!

Thanks so much for your help, I know I am lacking the basic knnowledge for this but I am doing my best :)

Related to Human Bone Youngs Modulus and Load Question

1. What is the Young's Modulus of human bones?

The Young's Modulus of human bones varies depending on the specific bone and its location in the body. On average, the Young's Modulus ranges from 10 to 30 GPa (Gigapascals).

2. How does the Young's Modulus of bones change with age?

The Young's Modulus of bones decreases with age due to factors such as decreased bone density and changes in bone composition. This can make bones more prone to fractures and can impact their ability to withstand loads.

3. What is the relationship between load and Young's Modulus of bones?

The Young's Modulus of bones is a measure of their stiffness or ability to resist deformation under a load. As the load increases, the bones will experience greater stress and strain, which can lead to fractures if the load exceeds their strength.

4. How does exercise impact the Young's Modulus of bones?

Regular exercise can improve the Young's Modulus of bones by stimulating bone growth and increasing bone density. This can make bones stronger and more resistant to fractures.

5. What factors can affect the Young's Modulus of bones?

The Young's Modulus of bones can be influenced by various factors such as genetics, age, diet, exercise, and certain medical conditions. Additionally, the Young's Modulus can vary between individuals and different types of bones in the body.