Huge problem on hydraulic lifts

• Thread starter mrjoe2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hydraulic
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about a hydraulic lift at a car repair shop and how much air pressure force must be increased to lift the car by 2.0m. The textbook equation is provided but the person asking the question uses a different equation based on the logic of previous pages. However, their approach yields a smaller number than the textbook equation, causing confusion. The conversation ends with a discussion about the force needed to lift the liquid and finding the change in force.
mrjoe2

Homework Statement

the hydraulic lift at a car repair shop is filled with oil. the car rests on a 25cm diameter piston. to lift the car, compressed air is used to push down on a 6cm diameterpiston. By how much must the air pressure force b eincreased to life the car 2.0m.

Homework Equations

DeltaF = pg(A1+A2)h where p is the density (900 for oil) and h is the height

The Attempt at a Solution

please read this: I didnt use the above equation because it was just stated in the textbook with no logic, so i used another equation derived from the logic of previous pages. We know F1/A1 = F2/A2 to keep the car up without lifting it a certain height, and to lift it a certain height, the equation is F1/A1 = F2/A2 + pgh where p is density and h is height. these equation are given in the textbook as well and they make sense. so to find the change in pressure, don't you just arrange the two equations for F1 and subtract them? Why is this wrong!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have effectively increased the load by the weight of the column of oil.
You know that the pressure in both pistons must be the same

mgb_phys said:
You have effectively increased the load by the weight of the column of oil.
You know that the pressure in both pistons must be the same

I have not effectively done this because my answer is incorrect! the answer using their equation of DeltaF=pg(A1 + A2)h yeilds 920N while mine yields a MUCH smaller number. can you tell me how my approach is effective?

Isn't it just the pressure at the bottom of the extra oil column?
Pressure in a column of incompressible liquid = [tex]\rho[/tex] g h
= 900 kg/m^3 * 9.8 m/s^2 * 2m = 17 640 kg/m/s^2 = 17.6kPa

mgb_phys said:
Isn't it just the pressure at the bottom of the extra oil column?
Pressure in a column of incompressible liquid = [tex]\rho[/tex] g h
= 900 kg/m^3 * 9.8 m/s^2 * 2m = 17 640 kg/m/s^2 = 17.6kPa

yea that is what i got and i multiplied it by the area of the force pushed to get the change in the force. its not working and i am yielding a change of 49.9212N as you would be as well. the answer given is 920N! please help! my exam in in a couple hours!

Not sure what that means - "air pressure force" isn't very clear.
The force to lift the liquid is, mass * g = rho g h * area
900 kg/m^3 9.8 * 2 * 0.125m^2 pi = 865.9N

If you used the sum of the areas
900 kg/m^3 9.8 * 2 * (0.125m^2 pi + 0.03m^2 pi) = 917N but I don't see how this is justified.

Related to Huge problem on hydraulic lifts

1. What is the most common problem with hydraulic lifts?

The most common problem with hydraulic lifts is leakage of hydraulic fluid, which can lead to decreased performance and potential safety hazards.

2. How can I prevent hydraulic lift problems?

To prevent hydraulic lift problems, it is important to regularly inspect and maintain the lift, including checking for leaks, replacing worn parts, and following recommended maintenance schedules.

3. What are the signs of a hydraulic lift problem?

Signs of a hydraulic lift problem may include decreased lifting capacity, slow or jerky movements, unusual noises, and visible leaks.

4. Can I fix a hydraulic lift problem on my own?

It is not recommended to attempt to fix a hydraulic lift problem on your own unless you are a trained professional. Improper repairs can lead to further damage and safety hazards.

5. How often should I have my hydraulic lift serviced?

The frequency of servicing a hydraulic lift may vary depending on usage and manufacturer recommendations. Generally, it is recommended to have a professional service the lift at least once a year.