Hubble parameter vs Scale factor's derivative

In summary: H^2 + \dot HThe acceleration of the expansion, \ddot a, is related to the second derivative of the scale factor, a, and can be calculated using the Friedmann equations. This quantity represents how the expansion rate is changing over time. The Hubble parameter, on the other hand, represents the current expansion rate and is given by the first derivative of the scale factor. The derivative of the Hubble parameter, \dot H, is related to how the expansion rate is changing, but it also takes into account the effect of the current expansion
Elnur Hajiyev
How does Hubble parameter and scale factor's derivative differ geometrically? I am reading S. Caroll's GR book. But I cannot get the full representation of these two parameters. On the book, it says
If we set two test particles at a fixed initial distance, and ask how much they have separated a short time thereafter, the answer is given by the Hubble parameter.
If, on the other hand, we pick some fixed source, and ask how it appears to move away from us with time, the answer is given by the change in the scale factor.
How can [itex]\dot{H}[/itex] and [itex]\ddot{a}[/itex] be opposite of each other on the same instance if both are representing the speed of expansion?

Physics news on Phys.org
The Hubble parameter is defined as ##H=\dot{a}/a##, where ##a## is the scale parameter in the fundamental observer's reference frame, where the FLRW metric takes the form
$$\mathrm{d} s^2=\mathrm{d} t^2 - a^2(t) \left (\frac{\mathrm{d} r^2}{1-k r^2} + r^2 \mathrm{d} \theta^2 + r^2 \sin \theta \mathrm{d} \phi^2 \right).$$

vanhees71 said:
The Hubble parameter is defined as ##H=\dot{a}/a##, where ##a## is the scale parameter in the fundamental observer's reference frame, where the FLRW metric takes the form
$$\mathrm{d} s^2=\mathrm{d} t^2 - a^2(t) \left (\frac{\mathrm{d} r^2}{1-k r^2} + r^2 \mathrm{d} \theta^2 + r^2 \sin \theta \mathrm{d} \phi^2 \right).$$
I know it. I need an explanation from a geometrical perspective.

Elnur Hajiyev said:
How can ##\dot{H}## and ##\ddot{a}## be opposite of each other

Because they're not the same quantity. We have

$$
\dot{H} = \frac{d}{dt} \frac{\dot{a}}{a} = \frac{\ddot{a}}{a} - \left( \frac{\dot{a}}{a} \right)^2 = \frac{\ddot{a}}{a} - H^2
$$

Elnur Hajiyev said:
if both are representing the speed of expansion?

They aren't; they are representing the acceleration (or deceleration) of expansion, but in different ways. The way I find it easiest to understand the difference is to consider exponential expansion, i.e., ##a = e^t## (in the simplest case). Then we have ##\dot{a} = \ddot{a} = e^t## as well. But we have ##H = 1## and ##\dot{H} = 0##. In other words, ##H## is measuring the (inverse) time constant of exponentiation, and ##\dot{H}## is measuring how that (inverse) time constant changes.

Contrast this with, for example, a pure matter-dominated critical density universe where ##a = t^{2/3}##. Then ##\dot{a} = (2/3) t^{-1/3}## and ##\ddot{a} = - (2/9) t^{-4/3}##. So we have ##H = (2/3) t^{-1}## and ##\dot{H} = - (2/3) t^{-2}##. So here ##H## and ##\dot{H}## both tend to zero, ##H## from above and ##\dot{H}## from below, and ##\ddot{a}## is negative the whole time.

In our current universe, which is dark energy dominated but still has significant matter density affecting the expansion rate, ##\dot{H}## is negative even though ##\ddot{a}## is positive, because the expansion is accelerating but the matter density is slowing down the acceleration somewhat; the function ##a(t)## is basically a combination of the two cases I gave above. As the universe continues to expand, the matter density will decrease while the dark energy density remains constant, and ##\dot{H}## will tend to zero from below, while ##H## will tend to a constant value determined by the dark energy density. But ##\ddot{a}## will be positive during all of this.

Likes Elnur Hajiyev and vanhees71
PeterDonis said:
Because they're not the same quantity. We have

$$
\dot{H} = \frac{d}{dt} \frac{\dot{a}}{a} = \frac{\ddot{a}}{a} - \left( \frac{\dot{a}}{a} \right)^2 = \frac{\ddot{a}}{a} - H^2
$$
They aren't; they are representing the acceleration (or deceleration) of expansion, but in different ways. The way I find it easiest to understand the difference is to consider exponential expansion, i.e., ##a = e^t## (in the simplest case). Then we have ##\dot{a} = \ddot{a} = e^t## as well. But we have ##H = 1## and ##\dot{H} = 0##. In other words, ##H## is measuring the (inverse) time constant of exponentiation, and ##\dot{H}## is measuring how that (inverse) time constant changes.

Contrast this with, for example, a pure matter-dominated critical density universe where ##a = t^{2/3}##. Then ##\dot{a} = (2/3) t^{-1/3}## and ##\ddot{a} = - (2/9) t^{-4/3}##. So we have ##H = (2/3) t^{-1}## and ##\dot{H} = - (2/3) t^{-2}##. So here ##H## and ##\dot{H}## both tend to zero, ##H## from above and ##\dot{H}## from below, and ##\ddot{a}## is negative the whole time.

In our current universe, which is dark energy dominated but still has significant matter density affecting the expansion rate, ##\dot{H}## is negative even though ##\ddot{a}## is positive, because the expansion is accelerating but the matter density is slowing down the acceleration somewhat; the function ##a(t)## is basically a combination of the two cases I gave above. As the universe continues to expand, the matter density will decrease while the dark energy density remains constant, and ##\dot{H}## will tend to zero from below, while ##H## will tend to a constant value determined by the dark energy density. But ##\ddot{a}## will be positive during all of this.
Thanks for your detailed answer. But I would like to see somewhat generalization in the explanation of this question. I mean, generally, how does Hubble parameter and derivative of the scale factor or derivative of Hubble parameter and second derivative of the scale factor differ from each other. I understand your examples related to these concepts, but still struggle to imagine them in the geometrical viewpoint.

It's fairly easy to see why [itex] H = \frac{\dot a}{a}[/itex]. Suppose some object is at a distance from you of x0 at time t=0 and all distances are growing by a factor of a(t). Then the distance to the object is given by x = x0 * a(t). So the velocity at which you see the object moving away from you is [itex] \dot x=x_0 \dot a(t)[/itex]. The Hubble constant is defined to be the ratio of the velocity of the object divided by the distance to the object, so [itex] H = \frac{\dot x(t)}{x(t)} = \frac{x_0 \dot a(t)}{x_0 a(t)} = \frac{\dot a}{a}[/itex].

Likes Elnur Hajiyev and vanhees71
Elnur Hajiyev said:
I understand your examples related to these concepts, but still struggle to imagine them in the geometrical viewpoint.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "in the geometrical viewpoint". ##H## and ##\dot{H}## are dimensionless as far as distance is concerned (their only dimensions are time, more precisely time^-1 for ##H## and time^-2 for ##\dot{H}##), so they can be thought of as fractional change. That is the key difference between them and ##\dot{a}## and ##\ddot{a}## conceptually, since the latter two have a dimension of distance in the numerator.

Likes vanhees71
PeterDonis said:
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "in the geometrical viewpoint". ##H## and ##\dot{H}## are dimensionless as far as distance is concerned (their only dimensions are time, more precisely time^-1 for ##H## and time^-2 for ##\dot{H}##), so they can be thought of as fractional change. That is the key difference between them and ##\dot{a}## and ##\ddot{a}## conceptually, since the latter two have a dimension of distance in the numerator.
I mean, if both of these quantities(##\dot{H}##,##\ddot{a}##) represent acceleration of the expansion, how can they differ in ther signs? Today's universe ##\dot{H}## is negative, while ##\ddot{a}## is positive. What do they mean separately? If the expansion of the universe is accelerating, how can ##\dot{H}## be negative?

Elnur Hajiyev said:
if both of these quantities(##\dot{H}##, ##\ddot{a}##) represent acceleration of the expansion, how can they differ in ther signs?

Because they are representing "acceleration of the expansion" in different ways.

In the case of ##\ddot{a}##, the representation is simple: positive ##\ddot{a}## means acceleration, negative ##\ddot{a}## means deceleration. So you only need to look at the sign to see which is happening.

In the case of ##H## and ##\dot{H}##, the representation is more complex: here acceleration means that ##H## is tending towards some positive value as ##t \rightarrow \infty##, whereas "deceleration" means that ##H## is tending towards zero as ##t \rightarrow \infty## (or, if we include the possibility of a closed universe, we will have ##H \rightarrow 0## as ##t \rightarrow T##, where ##T## is some finite time).

PeterDonis said:
here acceleration means that ##H## is tending towards some positive value as ##t \rightarrow \infty##, whereas "deceleration" means that ##H## is tending towards zero as ##t \rightarrow \infty## (or, if we include the possibility of a closed universe, we will have ##H \rightarrow 0## as ##t \rightarrow T##, where ##T## is some finite time).
Yeah, but what does it mean, H is tending towards zero or not? This is the part I have been confusing. Because it is mathematical description, and I have a difficulty in implementing it to real world.

Elnur Hajiyev said:
what does it mean, H is tending towards zero or not?

If ##H## is tending towards zero, there is no limit to how slowly the universe can be expanding; it can even stop expanding and start contracting (if ##H## reaches zero in a finite time).

If ##H## is tending towards some nonzero positive value, then the universe will end up expanding exponentially forever (since a constant ##H## corresponds to exponential expansion).

A key difference between these two scenarios (if we leave out the possibility of the universe starting to contract, and only consider ##H \rightarrow 0## vs. ##H \rightarrow H_{\infty} > 0## as ##t \rightarrow \infty##) is that in the former scenario, there is no event horizon in the universe. But in the latter scenario (exponential expansion), there is.

(NOTE: Edited to correct misstatement about event horizon.)

Last edited:
Likes Elnur Hajiyev
Elnur Hajiyev said:
Yeah, but what does it mean, H is tending towards zero or not? This is the part I have been confusing. Because it is mathematical description, and I am have a difficulty in implementing it to real world.
PeterDonis said:
If ##H## is tending towards zero, there is no limit to how slowly the universe can be expanding; it can even stop expanding and start contracting (if ##H## reaches zero in a finite time).

If ##H## is tending towards some nonzero positive value, then the universe will end up expanding exponentially forever (since a constant ##H## corresponds to exponential expansion).

A key difference between these two scenarios (if we leave out the possibility of the universe starting to contract, and only consider ##H \rightarrow 0## vs. ##H \rightarrow H_{\infty} > 0## as ##t \rightarrow \infty##) is that in the former scenario, any two comoving observers will eventually become causally connected (i.e., within each other's past light cones), and once they are, they will remain so forever. But in the latter scenario (exponential expansion), two comoving observers that are causally connected can become causally disconnected (i.e., outside each other's past light cones), and once they are, they will remain so forever.
So in our universe, both ##\ddot{a}## and ##\dot{H}## are positive, yes?

Elnur Hajiyev said:
So in our universe, both ##\ddot{a}## and ##\dot{H}## are positive, yes?

No, in our universe, ##\ddot{a}## is positive and ##\dot{H}## is negative, i.e., the Hubble parameter is decreasing,

George Jones said:
No, in our universe, ##\ddot{a}## is positive and ##\dot{H}## is negative, i.e., the Hubble parameter is decreasing,
And this is the confusing part for me. Peter has said, if H is tending towards some positiv value(##\dot{H}## is positive), two comoving observers will eventually be disconnected. I knew, particle horizon is shrinking over time, which means everything near us will be causally disconnected from us one day. Isn't it true?

Last edited:
Elnur Hajiyev said:
Peter has said, if H is tending toward some positive value

Yes.

Elnur Hajiyev said:
(##\dot{H}## is positive)

No. ##\dot{H}## is negative, because the current value of ##H## is larger (more positive) than the positive value towards which ##H## is tending. I explained this in post #4.

Likes Elnur Hajiyev
Elnur Hajiyev said:
particle horizon is shrinking over time, which means everything near us will be causally disconnected from us one day. Isn't it true?

Yes. But that has nothing to do with the sign of ##\dot{H}##. It has to do with the fact that ##H## is tending (from above) towards a nonzero positive value instead of towards zero.

PeterDonis said:
But in the latter scenario (exponential expansion), two comoving observers that are causally connected can become causally disconnected (i.e., outside each other's past light cones), and once they are, they will remain so forever.

This is impossible.

PeterDonis said:
Yes.
No. ##\dot{H}## is negative, because the current value of ##H## is larger (more positive) than the positive value towards which ##H## is tending. I explained this in post #4.
Yeah. Now it has become more clear to me. Thanks for sparing your time to write detailly answer the question.

George Jones said:
This is impossible.

Oops, you're right, I misstated it. I should have said there is an event horizon in a dark energy dominated universe and left it at that. :redface:

Related to Hubble parameter vs Scale factor's derivative

1. What is the Hubble parameter and how does it relate to the scale factor's derivative?

The Hubble parameter is a measure of the current expansion rate of the universe. It is defined as the ratio of the velocity of a galaxy to its distance from us. The scale factor's derivative, on the other hand, represents the rate of change of the universe's size over time. The Hubble parameter is directly proportional to the scale factor's derivative, meaning that as the universe expands, the Hubble parameter also increases.

2. How is the Hubble parameter vs scale factor's derivative used in cosmology?

The Hubble parameter vs scale factor's derivative is used in cosmology to study the expansion of the universe and its evolution over time. By measuring the Hubble parameter at different points in time, scientists can determine the rate of expansion of the universe and make predictions about its future. It is also used to study the composition and dynamics of the universe, including the role of dark energy and dark matter in its expansion.

3. What is the significance of the Hubble parameter vs scale factor's derivative in understanding the Big Bang Theory?

The Hubble parameter vs scale factor's derivative plays a crucial role in understanding the Big Bang Theory. According to this theory, the universe began as a singularity and has been expanding ever since. The Hubble parameter vs scale factor's derivative allows us to track the expansion of the universe and determine the age of the universe. It also supports the concept of an expanding universe, which is a key component of the Big Bang Theory.

4. Can the Hubble parameter and scale factor's derivative change over time?

Yes, the Hubble parameter and scale factor's derivative can change over time. The Hubble parameter is affected by various factors such as the density of matter and energy in the universe, while the scale factor's derivative is affected by the expansion rate of the universe. As these factors change, the Hubble parameter and scale factor's derivative will also change accordingly.

5. How do scientists measure the Hubble parameter and scale factor's derivative?

Scientists measure the Hubble parameter and scale factor's derivative using various methods, including observations of distant galaxies, the cosmic microwave background radiation, and the redshift of light from galaxies. These methods allow scientists to determine the velocity and distance of objects in the universe and calculate the Hubble parameter and scale factor's derivative accurately.