Hubble constant and Entropy v2

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the expansion of the universe, entropy, time, and evolution. The topic is related to a recent discourse by Chaisson from Harvard/Tufts on the "Rise of Complexity in Cosmic Evolution". The original question asked about the connection between the constant of expansion and the cause of entropy. There is also mention of Verlinde's Entropic Gravity and the belief that it has a deep physical and theoretical foundation. The speaker is rechecking and rewording their original question to determine the mainstream or fringe status of Chaisson's ideas. The conversation also touches on the role of the cosmological constant in allowing for the formation of complex structures. The speaker references a quote from Chaisson
Jimster41
Is there agreement here regarding the relationship between expansion of the universe from its initial conditions, entropy (2nd law), time, (and more tenuously perhaps) "evolution"?

I asked a question awhile back that was too specific I think that tried to tie the constant of expansion to the "cause" of entropy.

This is related to this Chaisson's (Harvard/Tufts) recent discourse on the "Rise of Complexity in Cosmic Evolution". My original question, I now realize was due to stewing on his fundamental natural association of these things - which I encountered in an earlier discourse, and was strongly influenced by. I had assumed that there was a deep and detailed physical, theoretical underpinning to his argument. Partly why Verlinde's Entropic Gravity seemed so compelling. I thought that was sort of it-ish.

I'm rechecking, rewording my original, to just find out how fringe or mainstream Chaisson's ideas are. So "of course" or "obviously", or "yeah, if only we knew what it was", or "whatever gave you that crazy idea", or "yeah, that guy is a crackpot" is the kindof thing I'm after, since it is clearly a wide landscape.

I can understand if some might feel this borders on the philosophy, but my estimate is that it surely must be on the appropriate side. If the answer here is, "that's not about physics", then that is also useful information.

Space news on Phys.org
One thing is - presumably - that the CC must be low enough to allow for complex structures to arise. It pulls apart everything when ##T>1/\sqrt{\Lambda}## more or less, so any structure which hasn't had time to form by then cannot arise after that. I would expect too high a CC to even prevent nucleosynthesis, not to speak of the formation of stars, planets, and more.

wabbit said:
One thing is - presumably - that the CC must be low enough to allow for complex structures to arise. It pulls apart everything when ##T>1/\sqrt{\Lambda}## more or less, so any structure which hasn't had time to form by then cannot arise after that. I would expect too high a CC to even prevent nucleosynthesis, not to speak of the formation of stars, planets, and more.

Great quote from Chaisson's book re.

"organized systems of a physical, biological, or cultural kind everywhere apparently optimize (per unit volume or mass) the flux of energy passing through them. By "optimum" is meant an intermediate range in energy flow, below which the energy flow is too small to affect order and above which is so large as to destroy order." p.33 "Cosmic Evolution: The Rise of Complexity in Nature" Harvard University Press, London 2001.

The notion of how it is that complexity can form, or that the wild potentiality of the physics allows it, also came up in a couple of other places (the question of how DNA, or where E.T. For instance). To me there is just this fascinating puzzle of how that gradient "action" of matter and energy occurs. I keep thinking that we have well developed models for evolutionary processes in macroscopic systems (biologics). It seems like those must somehow derive from the physics, and that perhaps they describe in somewhat novel terms the same physics at the microscopic level.

I've got to read that Chaisson stuff : ) which book/articles would you recommend ?

Otherwise, evolution is a general mechanism, I don't see what would limit it to living systems. That quote reminds me of another book about complex systems I read quite some time ago, but I can't remember which one - or perhaps it's actually the same one and I forgot the auhor :)

Last edited:
Sorry man, I sound like this guys agent, or something. No agenda, I swear.
What happened was I stumbled across this one a number of years ago only lately have I realized how profoundly affected my efforts to understand things (for better or worse.). So recently revisiting his stuff - trying to figure out if it's fit to eat...:confused:. My initial impressions are ... that I could have done worse.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0595007910/?tag=pfamazon01-20Recently started this one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0674009878/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, some good reading ahead of me it seems : )

Related to Hubble constant and Entropy v2

What is the Hubble constant?

The Hubble constant, also known as H0, is a measure of the rate at which the universe is expanding. It is named after astronomer Edwin Hubble, who first discovered the expansion of the universe in the 1920s.

How is the Hubble constant calculated?

The Hubble constant is calculated by measuring the redshift of galaxies, which is the shift in their light towards the red end of the spectrum. This redshift is caused by the expansion of the universe, and the greater the redshift, the faster the galaxy is moving away. By measuring the redshift of many galaxies and using other observational data, scientists can calculate the Hubble constant.

Why is the Hubble constant important?

The Hubble constant is important because it tells us how fast the universe is expanding and how old it is. It also helps us understand the overall structure and evolution of the universe.

What is entropy v2?

Entropy v2, also known as the second law of thermodynamics, is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. Entropy is a measure of disorder or randomness in a system, and this law explains why things tend to move from a state of order to a state of disorder.

How is entropy v2 related to the Hubble constant?

Entropy v2 is related to the Hubble constant because the expansion of the universe is causing an overall increase in entropy. As the universe expands, matter and energy become more spread out and less organized, increasing the overall disorder or entropy of the universe. This relationship helps scientists better understand the evolution and fate of the universe.