HTML Code for Firefox to Stop Right-Click Copying

In summary: Thanks for your time.In summary, the person wrote a script to disable right click on a website, and also mentioned that all the content on the website has been downloaded to the browser, so there is no way to prevent someone from copying the entire page.
MartinJH
I realize HTML isn't strictly a 'coding language' or so I've heard.
I have a good friend who has a site he needs to prevent users from 'right clicking and copy'.
Its a guitar tab site and he has spent relentless hours transcribing a band whos songs are far from easy. So to prevent, to a certain degree, unrightful copying he needs the code to prevent this, specifically in Firefox. So if anyone has this or a source, we both would be very grateful.
Thanks

Technology news on Phys.org
All sorted now.
I thought you needed to call a .js file but you can do it all within html with this code:

Code:
<SCRIPT TYPE="text/javascript">
<!--
//Disable right click script
//visit http://www.rainbow.arch.scriptmania.com/scripts/
var message="Sorry, right-click has been disabled";
///////////////////////////////////
function clickIE() {if (document.all) {(message);return false;}}
function clickNS(e) {if
(document.layers||(document.getElementById&&!document.all)) {
if (e.which==2||e.which==3) {(message);return false;}}}
if (document.layers)
{document.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEDOWN);document.onmousedown=clickNS;}
else{document.onmouseup=clickNS;document.oncontextmenu=clickIE;}
document.oncontextmenu=new Function("return false")
// -->
</SCRIPT>

You can't. There is nothing you can do to stop an industrious visitor from grabbing stuff from a site, except for not putting it up.

As for that JavaScript, NoScript will bypass that.

You were correct in believing that HTML is not a coding language. It bears no real relation to coding languages, it is a "markup language" that has to be interpreted by a browser. It DOES, as you found, allow embedded coding in the form of javascript.

MartinJH said:
All sorted now.
I thought you needed to call a .js file but you can do it all within html with this code:

Code:
<SCRIPT TYPE="text/javascript">
<!--
//Disable right click script
//visit http://www.rainbow.arch.scriptmania.com/scripts/
var message="Sorry, right-click has been disabled";
///////////////////////////////////
function clickIE() {if (document.all) {(message);return false;}}
function clickNS(e) {if
(document.layers||(document.getElementById&&!document.all)) {
if (e.which==2||e.which==3) {(message);return false;}}}
if (document.layers)
{document.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEDOWN);document.onmousedown=clickNS;}
else{document.onmouseup=clickNS;document.oncontextmenu=clickIE;}
document.oncontextmenu=new Function("return false")
// -->
</SCRIPT>

And how do you prevent someone from saving the entire webpage to disk ?
Like jhae said , you can go only so far to interfere into someone's browser.
The fact that the browser contains the content means that the data is already downloaded to the external party

GJBRKS said:
And how do you prevent someone from saving the entire webpage to disk ?
Like jhae said , you can go only so far to interfere into someone's browser.
The fact that the browser contains the content means that the data is already downloaded to the external party
I wouldn't want to waste my time trying to prevent that and has never been a thought :).This is/was not a full attempt to prevent users from unrightfully copying something I must make that clear :).
I haven't said I want to prevent users from saving the entire content, if they want to do that then who can stop them. Above, I have merely said id like to prevent it to a certain degree from users who are not knowledgeable in that aspect.
Its a small measure to reduce the amount of users from directly copying something. I realize it is a waste of time since you can view the source code and grab what you like that way.
I understand there are more script kiddies these days and people who do know what they are doing and are able to get what they want but this isn't there to hinda there progress.

Last edited:

Related to HTML Code for Firefox to Stop Right-Click Copying

1. What is the purpose of using HTML code to stop right-click copying in Firefox?

The purpose of using HTML code to stop right-click copying in Firefox is to prevent users from easily copying and pasting content from your website without permission. This can help protect your content and intellectual property.

2. How does the HTML code for stopping right-click copying work?

The HTML code for stopping right-click copying works by disabling the default context menu that appears when a user right-clicks on a webpage. This prevents them from accessing options such as "copy" and "paste" which are commonly used for copying content.

3. Will using this HTML code prevent all forms of copying on my website?

No, using HTML code to stop right-click copying will not prevent all forms of copying on your website. It can be easily bypassed by users who know how to view the page source or use keyboard shortcuts. However, it can act as a deterrent for casual users.

4. Can I customize the message that appears when a user tries to right-click on my webpage?

Yes, you can customize the message that appears when a user tries to right-click on your webpage by using JavaScript in addition to the HTML code. This can provide a more specific and personalized message for your website.

5. Is it recommended to use HTML code to stop right-click copying on my website?

The decision to use HTML code to stop right-click copying on your website is ultimately up to you. Some argue that it can impede user experience and accessibility, while others believe it is necessary to protect their content. Consider your specific needs and the potential impact on your users before implementing this code.