HR-diagram: Describing the sun's life cycle

In summary, the sun will go through 4 different sequences on the HR diagram: main sequence, red giant area, white dwarf area, and beyond. The sequence in which it is currently located is the main sequence.
MarieO
We are asked to describe the sun's life in 4 different sequences of the HR-diagram. The second one is in main sequence, third one is in the red giant area, and the last one is in the white dwarf area. The first one is the one I cannot understand. I recreated where the numbers are on a new HR-diagram: http://i.imgur.com/H3nqvQA.jpg?1

I know that all stars that have just been born/can be defined as a star, will come to the main sequence. Since they're using hydrogen as a fuel. I also know that a brown dwarf would be far down outside the diagram, and I would assume that the sun was more like a brown dwarf before it eventually became a star. So I don't understand why there is on just ''out there''.. Maybe it's a trick question? My teacher has not asked any trick questions before so I find it a little strange.. I would very much appreciate it if anyone could help me understand!:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
MarieO said:
We are asked to describe the sun's life in 4 different sequences of the HR-diagram. The second one is in main sequence, third one is in the red giant area, and the last one is in the white dwarf area. The first one is the one I cannot understand. I recreated where the numbers are on a new HR-diagram: http://i.imgur.com/H3nqvQA.jpg?1

I know that all stars that have just been born/can be defined as a star, will come to the main sequence. Since they're using hydrogen as a fuel. I also know that a brown dwarf would be far down outside the diagram, and I would assume that the sun was more like a brown dwarf before it eventually became a star. So I don't understand why there is on just ''out there''.. Maybe it's a trick question? My teacher has not asked any trick questions before so I find it a little strange.. I would very much appreciate it if anyone could help me understand!:smile:
A brown dwarf never achieves sufficient mass to sustain hydrogen fusion in its core.

OTOH, a star like the sun takes a while to accumulate enough mass to begin fusion reactions in its core. Presumably, this mass accumulation phase is what's occurring during 1-2 on your HR diagram.

Likes MarieO
SteamKing said:
A brown dwarf never achieves sufficient mass to sustain hydrogen fusion in its core.

OTOH, a star like the sun takes a while to accumulate enough mass to begin fusion reactions in its core. Presumably, this mass accumulation phase is what's occurring during 1-2 on your HR diagram.

Okay, thank you! :)

Related to HR-diagram: Describing the sun's life cycle

1. What is an HR-diagram?

An HR-diagram, also known as a Hertzsprung-Russell diagram, is a graphical representation of stars based on their luminosity (or brightness) and temperature. It is used to study the life cycle of stars and classify them into different stages.

2. How does an HR-diagram describe the sun's life cycle?

The HR-diagram shows where the Sun falls in terms of luminosity and temperature compared to other stars. This helps us understand where the Sun is in its life cycle, from its birth as a protostar, to its main sequence stage, and eventually to its death as a white dwarf.

3. What information can we gather from an HR-diagram?

An HR-diagram can tell us about the star's size, mass, and temperature, which are all important factors in understanding its life cycle. It can also show us how stars evolve over time and how they are classified into different types.

4. What does the main sequence on an HR-diagram represent?

The main sequence is the diagonal band on the HR-diagram that represents where the majority of stars fall. This is where the Sun is currently located and where it will spend most of its life in a stable state, fusing hydrogen into helium in its core.

5. Can we use an HR-diagram to predict the future of the Sun?

Yes, we can use an HR-diagram to predict the future of the Sun. Based on its position on the diagram, we can estimate how much longer it will remain in its main sequence stage before it expands into a red giant and eventually becomes a white dwarf.