HP Air Bottle Sizing for 4.19m³ Tank at 10 Bar

• Thread starter Nasir6992
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air Sizing
In summary: By multiplying the tank pressure (10 bar) by the required PSI (0.5 bar) he will get the total air needed (7.33 bar).
Nasir6992
Senario-1

I have a tank of Volume = 4.19 Cubic meter which is filled with water. I want to empty the tank by giving a HP air blow at 10 Bar. How much air is required to empty the tank completely.
If someone can give any formula or any reference that can help me.

Senario-2

I have a tank of Volume = 4.19 Cubic meter which is filled with water and the tank is dipped in water at a depth of 5 meter depth. I want to empty the tank by giving a HP air blow at 10 Bar. How much air is required to empty the tank completely.

If someone can give any formula or any reference that can help me.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Scenario 1.
Don't understand.
scenario 2
1 bar = 10 meters of water, so you will need 0.5 bar (1.5 bar absolute) to empty the tank. Your air source is 10 bar (11 bar absolute) so your air supply wil expand by 11/1.5 = 7.33. Your water tank is 4.19 cubic meter, so you will need 4.19/7.33 = 0.57 cubic meters of air at 10 bar (11 bar absolute).

You simply need the volume of air to fill the tank at the pressure you are displacing the water to.

So for a 4.19 cubic meters of water at 1 bar is displaced by 4.19 cubic meters of air at 1bar. Now if the water is being displaced to a higher height than the bottom of the tank, or at a higher pressure then you need to account for the difference.

Now what I mentioned is the truth from a physics standpoint. From an engineering standpoint you are not going to get the tank empty with the volume of air required to empty it because the air will tunnel out to the drain at the bottom causing the water to start spraying at the end instead of a solid stream. If you want to get an idea of how much air you are going to need to run some sort of fluid simulations taking into account the size and shape of your tank as well as the way you introduce the air to blow the tanks. Alternatively you can just live with a small amount of water in the bottom and blow the tanks slowly.

chayced said:
You simply need the volume of air to fill the tank at the pressure you are displacing the water to.QUOTE]
The tank is 5 meters deep so he needs 0.5 bar psig in the tank to get the water out the bottom. His pressurized air tank is pressurized to 10 bar.

Related to HP Air Bottle Sizing for 4.19m³ Tank at 10 Bar

1. How is HP air bottle sizing determined for a 4.19m³ tank at 10 bar?

The HP air bottle sizing for a 4.19m³ tank at 10 bar is determined by considering the volume of the tank and the pressure it needs to maintain. This calculation involves the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure and volume of a gas are inversely proportional when the temperature and amount of gas are held constant.

2. What is the ideal pressure for a 4.19m³ tank?

The ideal pressure for a 4.19m³ tank can vary depending on the intended use and contents of the tank. However, for most applications, a pressure of 10 bar is considered to be safe and efficient.

3. Can the HP air bottle sizing be adjusted for different tank sizes?

Yes, the HP air bottle sizing can be adjusted for different tank sizes. The calculation involves using the same principles of the ideal gas law, but adjusting for the specific volume and pressure of the different tank.

4. How does the HP air bottle sizing affect the performance of the tank?

The HP air bottle sizing is crucial for the performance of the tank as it determines the amount of compressed air that can be stored and used. If the sizing is too small, the tank may not have enough air to meet the desired pressure and volume requirements. On the other hand, an oversized HP air bottle may result in unnecessary weight and cost.

5. Are there any safety considerations when determining HP air bottle sizing for a tank?

Yes, there are safety considerations when determining HP air bottle sizing for a tank. It is essential to ensure that the tank can safely handle the pressure and volume of compressed air. It is also crucial to follow proper installation and maintenance procedures to prevent accidents or malfunctions.