Can anyone tell me why clouds float and dont fall down?

• Thread starter bozo the clown
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fall Float
In summary, clouds float because the droplets of water that make them up are very small and easily supported by rising air. When the droplets get too big, they fall as rain. However, the amount of moisture in clouds can vary and may also include ice crystals, which may affect their ability to float. There may also be different conditions in different types of clouds.
bozo the clown
Can anyone tell me why clouds float and don't fall down ? tx

Physics news on Phys.org
Because the droplets of water are so small their terminal velocity is essentially zero. They are easily supported by rising air. When the droplets get too big, they do fall--as rain.

Last edited:
There is/was a website associated with Scientific American which invited people to ask questions to the experts. Years ago I sent a question to them, but it never appeared at the website and I never got a reply. Maybe somebody here knows the answer.

When a storm moves west-to-east across a continent, does a typical molecule in the air over the west coast get pushed all the way to the east coast, or does it merely move east for minutes or hours, whereupon it gets left behind the storm front?

Doc Al said:
Because the droplets of water are so small their terminal velocity is essentially zero. They are easily supported by rising air. When the droplets get too big, they do fall--as rain.

I thought most of the moisture present in clouds was in the form of ice crystals of various geometric shapes. This would present a much larger surface area to mass ratio over spherical droplets, making them even easier to support.

But this isn't my field, and I might be completely wrong (or just saying the same thing in different terms) or there might be so amny different conditions in different kinds of clouds.

1. Why do clouds float in the sky?

Clouds float in the sky because they are made of tiny water droplets or ice crystals that are suspended in the air. These particles are much lighter than the air molecules around them, causing them to rise and float in the atmosphere.

2. How do clouds stay up in the air without falling down?

The water droplets or ice crystals in clouds are constantly moving and colliding with each other. This movement creates a force called updraft, which pushes the particles higher and keeps them from falling to the ground.

3. Why don't clouds fall down like rain?

The size of the water droplets or ice crystals in clouds is very small, so they are easily lifted and carried by air currents. As they move higher in the atmosphere, they continue to grow in size until they become too heavy and fall to the ground as rain, snow, or other forms of precipitation.

4. What factors determine the height at which clouds float?

The height at which clouds float is determined by the temperature, humidity, and air pressure in the atmosphere. Generally, the colder the temperature, the higher the clouds will float. Humidity and air pressure also play a role in determining cloud height.

5. Do all clouds float at the same height?

No, different types of clouds can float at different heights in the atmosphere. For example, cumulonimbus clouds, which are associated with thunderstorms, can reach heights of 20,000 feet or more, while stratus clouds, which are flat and layered, typically float at lower altitudes.