How would you make small metal copies of handheld objects?

• Thread starter LongApple
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Metal
In summary, the speaker wants to create a unibody, durable version of a device that is currently made with a metal hook loop that can easily be twisted and ripped out. They are considering using a different material, such as metal, and are open to making the hook thicker for added durability. The device is used for a medical purpose and needs to be safe for skin contact and able to stay in place for long periods of time without chaffing the skin. They are seeking advice on what materials would be suitable for this purpose, and are approaching the topic in a mature and scientific manner.
LongApple
upload_2015-2-1_1-11-26.png

I want to make a unibody, durable version of the above that won't chaffe skin and survives/resists getting distorted even if you try to twist the metal hook loop. Basically I have the above device. I pulled an twisted on the hook and the hook ripped out. I'm looking to create perhaps a metal or other material version of it maybe using caste out of the existing one I have.

What kind of service, website, or machine do I need to find to make a unibody version of the above?

It is okay to make the hook thicker if it gives it more durability. Doesn't have to be unibody as long as the hook stays in place and doesn't twist. And preferably it should not flake or leave bits of it coming off.

If you google TLC Tugger, you will know it's purpose but that leads to a bit of an awkward situation going to the materials lab at university, not being a material student, and asking if I can make this object. Let's just be mature about this, keep it scientific, and not talk about the purpose of the device- just know that it has to be safe medically with skin contact and being lodged in a certain place for many hours at a time.

Attachments

• upload_2015-2-1_1-11-11.png
    upload_2015-2-1_1-11-11.png
    43 KB · Views: 605
Engineering news on Phys.org
At least the upper part of the cone cannot be too slippery or it will fall out. It has to have some traction without chaffing skin.

I don't know about what kinds of plastics, metals, or other materials would be suitable. In my ideal world, it has some softness but cannot be damaged or torn (so it could be solid metal or could be another material that can be twisted but 100% always goes back ot original)

Again let's just stick to the science and engineering about this issue. I, for one, consider this a medical device

Related to How would you make small metal copies of handheld objects?

1. How do you make small metal copies of handheld objects?

Making small metal copies of handheld objects involves a process called metal casting. This involves creating a mold of the object using a material such as silicone or plaster, pouring molten metal into the mold, and allowing it to cool and solidify. The mold is then removed to reveal the metal copy of the object.

2. What materials are needed for creating small metal copies of handheld objects?

The materials needed for metal casting include the object to be copied, a mold-making material, such as silicone or plaster, a crucible for melting the metal, a heat source, and the metal itself. Tools such as tongs, ladles, and safety equipment may also be needed.

3. What types of metal can be used for making small metal copies of handheld objects?

Almost any type of metal can be used for metal casting, including aluminum, bronze, brass, and various types of steel. The type of metal used will depend on the desired appearance and properties of the final metal copy.

4. Are there any safety precautions to consider when making small metal copies of handheld objects?

Yes, safety precautions are very important when working with molten metal. Protective gear, such as heat-resistant gloves and eye protection, should be worn at all times. It is also important to work in a well-ventilated area and to have a fire extinguisher nearby.

5. Can small metal copies of handheld objects be made at home?

Yes, metal casting can be done at home, but it is important to follow safety guidelines and have the necessary equipment. It may also be helpful to seek guidance from experienced metal casters or take a class before attempting to make small metal copies of handheld objects at home.