How would you find the magnetic field of a spinning nucleus?

In summary, the magnetization of an atom can be calculated using quantum mechanics by considering the properties of the atom such as mass, charge, and spin. For orbiting electrons, the magnetization can be determined using the formula \vec{M} = \frac{- \mu_{B}( \vec{L} + g_{s} \vec{S})}{\hbar}, where mu is the Bohr-magneton, L is angular momentum, S is spin, and g is the gyromagnetic ratio. A similar formula can be derived for atomic nuclei. To identify an unknown atom, one can use techniques such as emission spectroscopy or nuclear magnetic resonance. The possible values of L and S can be determined by applying
Crashwinder
I'm not sure if these are very clear questions, but here goes:

1. If a fairly large nucleus is set spinning, then it should generate a small magnetic dipole, right? I'm wondering, how would you calculate it's magnetic moment, using the properties of that particular nuclide (e.g. mass, charge, etc), the speed at which it's spinning, etc?

2. Same as above, except with a cation that has a given number of electrons.

Physics news on Phys.org
Crashwinder said:
I'm not sure if these are very clear questions, but here goes:

1. If a fairly large nucleus is set spinning, then it should generate a small magnetic dipole, right? I'm wondering, how would you calculate it's magnetic moment, using the properties of that particular nuclide (e.g. mass, charge, etc), the speed at which it's spinning, etc?

2. Same as above, except with a cation that has a given number of electrons.

Very good question.

Quantummechanics learns us that the magnetization M is equal to [tex]\vec{M} = \frac{- \mu_{B}( \vec{L} + g_{s} \vec{S})}{\hbar}[/tex] The mu represents the Bohr-magneton, L is angular momentum and S is the spin. The g represents the gyromagnetic ratio. This formula was check experimentally via the Stern and Gerlach experiment and the Zeemann-effect for the spin quantumnumber. Now, for a given atom we can derive the possible L and S values by applying the laws of quantummechanics. This formula is especially valid for the orbiting electrons that indeed are equivalent to a magnetic dipole which yields the magnetization M. The orbit-speed is incorporated in L.
An analoguous formula can be derived for an atomic nucleus. In order to identify an unknown atom , one can excite it and then register it's emission-spectrum coming from the emitted radiation when the atom de-excites. each atom has a different emission-spectrum so this is like looking at the pass-port of an unknown atom. Many other options (using the above explained theory predicted by QM) are possible. Eg : nuclar magnetic resonance, etc

regards
marlon

marlon said:
Very good question.

Quantummechanics learns us that the magnetization M is equal to [tex]\vec{M} = \frac{- \mu_{B}( \vec{L} + g_{s} \vec{S})}{\hbar}[/tex] The mu represents the Bohr-magneton, L is angular momentum and S is the spin. The g represents the gyromagnetic ratio. This formula was check experimentally via the Stern and Gerlach experiment and the Zeemann-effect for the spin quantumnumber. Now, for a given atom we can derive the possible L and S values by applying the laws of quantummechanics.
Sorry for being ignorant (my understanding of this stuff is first year university level), but how exactly would you derive those?

This formula is especially valid for the orbiting electrons that indeed are equivalent to a magnetic dipole which yields the magnetization M. The orbit-speed is incorporated in L.
An analoguous formula can be derived for an atomic nucleus. In order to identify an unknown atom , one can excite it and then register it's emission-spectrum coming from the emitted radiation when the atom de-excites. each atom has a different emission-spectrum so this is like looking at the pass-port of an unknown atom. Many other options (using the above explained theory predicted by QM) are possible. Eg : nuclar magnetic resonance, etc
I'm afraid i don't understand how i should apply this information, i would greatly appreciate an example or two.

Related to How would you find the magnetic field of a spinning nucleus?

1. How does the spin of a nucleus affect its magnetic field?

The spin of a nucleus refers to the rotation of its internal particles, which creates a magnetic dipole moment. This dipole moment produces a magnetic field, with the strength and direction depending on the spin state of the nucleus.

2. What is the most common method for measuring the magnetic field of a spinning nucleus?

The most common method is through nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy. This technique uses radio waves to excite the nuclei and measure the absorbed energy, which is directly related to the strength of the magnetic field.

3. Can the magnetic field of a spinning nucleus be manipulated?

Yes, the magnetic field of a spinning nucleus can be manipulated through the use of external magnetic fields. This can be achieved through techniques such as NMR imaging or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), which are used in medical and scientific research.

4. How does the chemical environment of a nucleus affect its magnetic field?

The magnetic field of a spinning nucleus can be affected by its chemical environment, as the surrounding electrons can shield or enhance the magnetic field. This phenomenon is known as the chemical shift and is used to identify different types of atoms in NMR spectroscopy.

5. What are some other ways to measure the magnetic field of a spinning nucleus?

Aside from NMR spectroscopy, other methods for measuring the magnetic field of a spinning nucleus include electron paramagnetic resonance (EPR) spectroscopy and nuclear quadrupole resonance (NQR) spectroscopy. These techniques are often used in the study of materials with unpaired electrons or inorganic compounds.