Calculus Finals Review: Seeking Tutoring/Help

In summary: The first guy is just a distance of (2.25t) away, the second guy is a distance of (3.8cost t) away, right? So the distance between them would be sqrt((2.25t)^2+(3.8cost t)^2). So the derivative of that is 3.8sin35. Is this wrong calculating?I just figured out my mistake. sqrt((2.25t)^2+(3.8cost t)^2) != 3.8sin35.The actual distance is sqrt((3.8sin35)^2+(2.25t)^2+(3.8cost t)^2). So I have to apply the chain rule, which will
hodeez
Ok, so I have my Calculus Finals this coming Thursday, and I hope I receive some "tutoring" or review. The teacher sent out a review sheet via email, and I mirrored it www.hodeez.com/max3_finals.doc[/URL]

Just need a little/some help on 1,4,6,7,10 and the long problem.

Of course I know the rules and I'll show you my work first, but as of right now, I'm at work and my cable @ home keep disconnecting me. So I'll brief what I can get by today hopefully :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
For Prob 4

f(x)= |2x+3|-|x-4|

draw the no line
Code:
------------------------------------------------------------
                     |           |           |
x                  -3/2          0           4
                       |                     |
f(x)= -(2x+3)-{-(x-4)} | 2x+3 -{-(x-4)}      | 2x+3 -(x-4)     
                       |                     |
Code:
for   x<-3/2 u have   |2x+3|=-(2x+3)  & |x-4|= -(x-4)
-3/2<=x<4             |2x+3|= (2x+3)  & |x-4|= -(x-4)
      x>=4            |2x+3|= (2x+3)  & |x-4|=  (x-4)
now i believe u can recombine the above in specified interval to get f(x)

For problem 1 [tex] \frac{df(x)}{dx}= 0 \text{ as the tangent is horizontal say at point x=t}[/tex]

u will get Quadratic Equation find the roots to 3 decimal place

Last edited:
For the problem 6 find -dx/dy which will be the slope of the normal

For problem 7

Apply the formula [tex]\frac{d (\frac{u}{v})}{dx}=\frac{ v\frac{du}{dx}-u\frac{dv}{dx}}{v^2}[/tex]
here u and v are u=cosx and v= sqrt(2x-3)

Originally posted by himanshu121
For the problem 6 find -dx/dy which will be the slope of the normal

For problem 7

Apply the formula [tex]\frac{d (\frac{u}{v})}{dx}=\frac{ v\frac{du}{dx}-u\frac{dv}{dx}}{v^2}[/tex]
here u and v are u=cosx and v= sqrt(2x-3)

from what I am understanding, (6) you want me to find the reciprocal negative of the derivative of the original equation? OR find the implicit differentiation and then plugging in the (2,1)

(7) = seems like the division rule, how did i ever miss that? [zz)]

thanks for the replies, I am going to look more indepth into the answers you gave me. :smile:

Giving Hints for long problem

lim(x->3)f(x)=f(3)
i.e f(3-h)=f(3+h) for h->0 and h>0

and [tex] f'(x)=\lim_{h \rightarrow 0}\frac{f(x+h)-f(x)}{h}[/tex]
u can substitute x= 4 here and so on

For problem 1 [tex] \frac{df(x)}{dx}= 0 \text{ as the tangent is horizontal say at point x=t}[/tex]

u will get Quadratic Equation find the roots to 3 decimal place
DOH! another simple one over looked

I must say all are simple

from what I am understanding, (6) you want me to find the reciprocal negative of the derivative of the original equation? OR find the implicit differentiation and then plugging in the (2,1)

u can do it either way

Giving Hints for long problem

lim(x->3)f(x)=f(3)
i.e f(3-h)=f(3+h) for h->0 and h>0

and [tex] f'(x)=\lim_{h \rightarrow 0}\frac{f(x+h)-f(x)}{h}[/tex]
u can substitute x= 4 here and so on

im quite consfused on the way you are approaching it. I am thinking, if its continuous the 1st piece must match the 2nd piece @ 3 and then i set it up for k/3+2=k-3-1 and then solved for k which = -9 , then the slope must equal so I am finding the deriv of both pieces and then trying to make them equal again.

May you check this (#9):

y'' = -3(sin^2(x))*(cos^2(x))
and then plug in pi/6 = 180/6 = 30, yes?

For long problem 2

Take the first hiker along x-axis and other at an angle of 35 deg
After time t its(1 hiker)coordinate will be(2.25t,0) and for second hiker it would be (3.8cos35 t,3.8sin35 t}.

Now apply the distance formula and and differentiate it to get ur answer substitute for t=5.4/2.25

Also it could have been done easily be relative velocity concept but i feel that u have to give Calculus exam right

may i know how u reach at y'' = -3(sin^2(x))*(cos^2(x))

it is incorrect Pls show me ur steps
though pi/6=30 is correct

may i know how u reach at y'' = -3(sin^2(x))*(cos^2(x))

it is incorrect Pls show me ur steps
though pi/6=30 is correct
y'= 3(sin(x))(cos(x))
y''= 3 * product rule (sin(x))(cos(x))
= 3 * (sin(x))*(-sin(x))+(cos(x))(cos(x))
= -3(sin^2(x))*(cos^2(x))

look
[tex]y=sin^3x \Rightarrow y'=3sin^2x (cosx)[/tex]

u got y' wrong in ur reply

For long problem 2

Take the first hiker along x-axis and other at an angle of 35 deg
After time t its(1 hiker)coordinate will be(2.25t,0) and for second hiker it would be (3.8cos35 t,3.8sin35 t}.

Now apply the distance formula and and differentiate it to get ur answer substitute for t=5.4/2.25

Also it could have been done easily be relative velocity concept but i feel that u have to give Calculus exam right

is the answer 56.52 rounded?

I used the Cosine Formula for triangles.

Also, I am interested in hearing your relative velocity concept. =)

look
[tex]y=sin^3x \Rightarrow y'=3sin^2x (cosx)[/tex]

u got y' wrong in ur reply

wow, that would have caused havok on the final

Again how u reached the answer for hiker prob it is incorrect

The method, I'm sure is correct, because that is the method we were taught to use. But my mechanics are probably incorrect. I'm using the Google calculator as I don't have my graphing calculator right now.

Yup i know the method using the cosine formula is correct u need to recheck ur steps u might be making small errors in calulating

[tex]cos35 = \frac{(2.25t)^2+(3.8t)^2-x^2}{2*2.25*3.8 t^2}[/tex]

After little rearrangement

[tex]x^2=5.495000043t^2[/tex]
so u will get x=2.344141643t

Yup i know the method using the cosine formula is correct u need to recheck ur steps u might be making small errors in calulating

[tex]cos35 = \frac{(2.25t)^2+(3.8t)^2-x^2}{2*2.25*3.8 t^2}[/tex]

After little rearrangement

[tex]x^2=5.495000043t^2[/tex]
so u will get x=2.344141643t

My formula is C= A^2+B^2-cos(c)*A*B
Is that the correct form?

But 2.344 seems too way out of proportional

u have again quoted the wrong formula the formula which i have quoted previously is authentic

Originally posted by hodeez
My formula is C= A^2+B^2-cos(c)*A*B
Is that the correct form?

But 2.344 seems too way out of proportional

I see my error, I forgot to square the C and derive it, so then I would have to divide the right side by C... Gotta run to the store for my co-workers, so I'll be right back to figure that out :smile:

hope i got this

Attachments

• 2.gif
    2.gif
    2.3 KB · Views: 475
OH NO! the 2!

ugh, i think i understand the concept, so let's recede back to the short answers! :wink:

Originally posted by hodeez
OH NO! the 2!

As far it goes I analyze you , Ur concepts seems to be Ok But your calmness and correctiveness to do a problem is absent u are just making mistakes in formula or small mistakes which are turning out otherwise.

I Advice u to remember the formula(s)with proper definition and Pls do and apply the formula with extreme care.I believe a lot of practice with these problems will help u to get good grade/marks

Before leaving i give u another advice
The besy way to improve with these kind of a non conceptual errors
is to note down the errors which u have make and then try not to repeat those error

No worries, I usually achieve 90+ marks and the first one to leave the classroom/finish the test. I hate checking =_=

Can't seem to solve Long problems #1.

All I got was a) which is K=9(?) to make it continuous. But to use the H method for B got me all confused!

[tex]f'(4)=\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{f(4+h)-f(4)}{h}[/tex]

[tex]f'(4)=\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\frac{9}{4+h}-\frac{9}{4}}{h}[/tex]
[tex]f'(4)=\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}-\frac{9h}{4h(4+h)}[/tex]

so f'(4)=-9/16

thanks himanshu, but i seem to have got it in school, before i got a chance to see your answer. Even so, the problem was logically incorrect ( f'(4) was suppose to be f'(3)). I should be 85+ for my finals. thanks.

1. What topics should I focus on for my calculus finals?

The topics you should focus on for your calculus finals are the ones that you struggled with the most throughout the semester. This could include topics such as derivatives, integrals, limits, and applications of calculus. It is also important to review any key formulas and concepts that will be covered on the exam.

2. How can I prepare effectively for my calculus finals?

To prepare effectively for your calculus finals, it is important to start studying early and consistently. Make sure to review your notes and practice problems regularly. It can also be helpful to work on practice exams or problems from your textbook. Seeking tutoring or help from a classmate or teacher can also be beneficial.

3. What are some common mistakes students make on calculus finals?

Some common mistakes students make on calculus finals include not showing enough work, not understanding the concepts behind the problems, and making careless errors. It is important to carefully read and understand each question, show all steps and work, and double-check your answers for any mistakes.

4. How can I improve my calculus grade before the final exam?

To improve your calculus grade before the final exam, you can try working on extra practice problems, seeking help from a tutor or teacher, or attending review sessions. It is also important to make sure you understand the material and are not just memorizing formulas or procedures.

5. What resources are available for calculus finals review?

There are many resources available for calculus finals review, including online practice problems and tutorials, review books, study groups, and tutoring services. Your teacher or school may also offer review sessions or study guides. It is important to find the resources that work best for you and use them consistently to prepare for your exam.