How would menstrual cycle be affected if one ovary fails?

In summary, a study showed that women who had one ovary removed were still menstruating at a later assessment, 14-18 years post surgery. However, this may not apply to everyone as it depends on the individual's overall health and any underlying diseases. In cases of premature ovarian failure, where one ovary fails while the other is healthy, the menstrual cycle may still continue regularly if enough estrogen is produced. But in cases where the ovary fails due to another disease, it may cause disruptions in the menstrual cycle. It is best to consult with a physician for individualized advice.
physicist007
How would the menstrual cycle of a woman be affected if one of the ovaries fails( or removed surgically)?

Biology news on Phys.org
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10221214

Since this uses a lot of medical terms: 9 out of 12 living women (12 of an original group of 14) had one ovary removed, were still menstruating at a later assessment, 14-18 years post surgery. Women with PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome) usually have awful periods, are often infertile (may not ovulate) and typically are very hirsute, some to the point of having to shave daily. The removal of a single ovary was an attempt to help the POCS symptoms.

So, this may or may not apply to the person for whom your question was asked.

We do not provide medical advice here. And outcomes from these kinds of things are best discussed with a physician.

PCOS personal exposition: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...e-Beznec-opens-Polycystic-Ovary-Syndrome.html

Edit: some day I will be able to type and spell at the same time...

Last edited:
Likes Evo
I don't know that much about this group of hormones, but there are a lot of feedback mechanisms in endocrinology.
Theoretically, this could easily make corrections as long as a something is still available to regulate (one ovary in this case and the hormones it produces).

Example of endocrine regulation:
My thyroid has been largely destroyed by an auto-immune disease (Hashimoto's thyroiditis) against it.
One of the indicators of this was a 32x increase in the upstream activator hormone (TSH: Thyroid Stimulating Hormone) for thyroxin, the thyroid hormone.
The levels of levo-thyroxin I am taking was calibrated to my body's needs by taking different size doses and measuring TSH until it returned to normal levels. Took a few weeks to get it correct.

With premature ovarian failure (POF) the period is often absent for more than 4 months before aged 40. Secondary ammorhea, premature depletion of follicles, may precede total absence. This is rare, affecting 1% of the female population. It can occur as a secondary symptom to other diseases. It's often accompanied by symptoms similar to those in menopause. However, if one ovary is, for some reason, failing while the other is healthy, then it's possible enough estrogen is being produced that the menstrual cycle remains regular. I think that in the case of one ovary "failing", then it is on account of another disease, not POF.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3973172/

jim mcnamara said:
So, this may or may not apply to the person for whom your question was asked.
Hey, while i was studying one day I read that each month one ovum is secreted by each ovary, alternatively after every 28 days, so a question stroke me that what would happen if of ovary of any females fails to produce ovary or is removed surgically, will the menstrual cycle continue unaffected, or will the cycle be discontinuous repeating every 56 days?

Related to How would menstrual cycle be affected if one ovary fails?

1. What is the role of the ovaries in the menstrual cycle?

The ovaries are responsible for producing and releasing the hormones estrogen and progesterone, which are essential for regulating the menstrual cycle. They also house and release the eggs that are needed for fertilization.

2. How does one ovary failing affect the menstrual cycle?

If one ovary fails, it can disrupt the balance of hormones and affect the regularity of the menstrual cycle. This can lead to irregular periods, missed periods, or even the complete absence of periods.

3. Can the other ovary compensate for the failed ovary?

Yes, the remaining ovary can compensate for the failed ovary by increasing its production of hormones and releasing eggs more frequently. However, this compensation may not always be enough to maintain a regular menstrual cycle.

4. Are there any other health implications of one ovary failing?

In addition to affecting the menstrual cycle, one ovary failing can also increase the risk of ovarian cysts and may indicate underlying health conditions such as polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) or endometriosis.

5. What are the treatment options for one ovary failing?

The treatment for one ovary failing will depend on the underlying cause and individual circumstances. Options may include hormone therapy, surgery to remove any ovarian cysts, or fertility treatments if pregnancy is desired.