How would look like Earth like planet with higher water cover

In summary: The surface would be constantly shifting and reshaping, much like it does now in places like the Gulf of California, which has seen a rise in sea level of 5 metres in the past ~40,000 years. In summary, a water world with higher sea level would result in a planet with different features than Earth. The climate and erosion may be different, and there could be new features like mountain ranges.
Czcibor
I started to wonder how would look like a planet similar to the Earth but with ocean level higher by a kilometre or two. I know that it should make climate milder and more humid. I have however a geological question - would such water level affects continental plates?

Should I assume:
a) that the planet would look roughly like the Earth but with just higher water level (with big partially submerged continents)
b) that would affect plate tectonic and cause some plates to be almost proportionally taller so difference between continental shelf and ocean depths would be higher

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Two kilometres :bugeye: all that would be left of land is a few mountain ranges! This was the best picture I could find that annoyingly doesn't have much of a key but everything that's blue, green or yellow would be underwater in your model http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/imagegallery/image_feature_1545.html

EDIT: This would probably be better to post on the Earth sciences section rather than astronomy.

I thought about a rocky exoplanet with similar composition. I can find myself a map and just make the modification. I was more interested whether higher sea level should affect plate tectonic or not.

The question invokes a complicated analysys that cannot be answered by a brief one line answer. I guess you are asking about what would the world look like after millions of years.
The lighter continents (plates) float on a denser material below. Two plate meeting result in an uplift or crumpling of one plate, and we get mountain ranges. Erosion tries to break the mountain ranges down.

So you have to ask:
Would extra pressure on the sea floor by the extra water depth push the plates higher?
Would the climate result in less or more erosion?
Would there be more precipitaion? And more erosion.
In a milder climate would freezing and melting of water, an important aspect of erosion, have less of an aspect?

I do not think there is a simple answer.

I mean mostly 1 question, that is the one that would make the most crucial difference.

Water Worlds...

I'd guess you're thinking of the hypothetical exo-planets dubbed 'water worlds', but not quite fully flooded...

There's been times and areas on Earth that may give some clues.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_level (YMMV ;-)
"While the Mediterranean was forming during the past 100 million years, the average ocean level was generally 200 metres above current levels."

That does not allow for tidal and storm-surge ranges.

Also, glacial cycles seem to have swung 'our' sea levels from plus 70 metres to minus 150 metres, give or take some isostasis. The low-stand was enough to expose Behring Straits, a vast area off SE Asia aka 'Sunda-land' and much of area between UK and Europe aka 'Doggerland'...

At the other extreme, tectonic rather than Milkanovich, there's the 'Western Interior Seaway'
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Interior_Seaway
... With wide, open water between the 'Gulf', Hudson Bay and Alaska...

My guess is that you may get 'Ring of Fire' mountain ranges, hot-spot island chains per Iceland and Hawaii, plus flood-basalt plateaus, eg per Deccan Traps and Columbia area
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flood_basalt

A lot of 'land map' may depend on the existence of a 'coral reef' analog to stabilize sand-banks and volcanic shores...

Last edited:

Related to How would look like Earth like planet with higher water cover

1. How would a planet with higher water cover affect its landmass?

A planet with higher water cover would have significantly less landmass than Earth, as the water would cover a larger portion of the surface. This would result in fewer continents and larger oceans compared to Earth.

2. Would there still be habitable land for humans on a planet with higher water cover?

It is possible that there could still be habitable land for humans on a planet with higher water cover, but it would likely be limited to smaller islands or coastal regions. The rest of the land would likely be too submerged to support human life.

3. What would the climate be like on a planet with higher water cover?

The climate on a planet with higher water cover would be greatly influenced by the increased water content. The higher levels of water vapor in the atmosphere would lead to more intense and frequent precipitation, and the large bodies of water would also have a moderating effect on temperatures.

4. How would the higher water cover affect the planet's biodiversity?

The higher water cover would likely have a significant impact on the planet's biodiversity. Many species that rely on land habitats would struggle to survive, while aquatic species would thrive. The diversity of marine life would be much greater than on Earth.

5. Could a planet with higher water cover support human life?

It is possible that a planet with higher water cover could support human life, but it would require significant adaptations. Humans would need to rely heavily on aquatic resources for food and find ways to live in and around the water. The climate and terrain would also present challenges for human survival.