How would I graph this in my TI-83?

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for graphing the equation |y| = 7-x and finding the branches of the graph. The methods mentioned include graphing x on the vertical axis and y on the horizontal axis, using parametric plot, and graphing two lines to create a V or inverted V shape. The conversation also suggests testing the equation with known points to determine which branches to include in the graph.
hyde2042

Homework Statement

|y| = 7-x

The closest I can do is y=abs(7-x), but this just gives me a straight line along the y axis. Thank you for your time.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
hyde2042 said:

Homework Statement

|y| = 7-x

The closest I can do is y=abs(7-x), but this just gives me a straight line along the y axis. Thank you for your time.
In this case x is a function of y, rather than y being a function of x.

You can either:
(1). Graph x on the vertical axis & y on the horizontal axis by switching x & y in your equation, then solve for y.

(2). Do a parametric plot: Let yt = t and xt = 7 - abs(t), because x = 7 - |y|. Have t go from -20 to 20.​

hyde2042 said:

Homework Statement

|y| = 7-x

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

You could graph two lines: y = 7 - x and -y = 7 - x [better known as y = x - 7]

This would give to two intersecting lines making a large X

You only want two if the branches.

You want either the V, the inverted V [can't type it upside down] or the left hand two [>] or the right hand two [<].

You could test the original expression by chosing a known point on each of the sections, to check which two you want, if you can't think of any other way of doing it.

Ah. THank you guys. I wish I thought of those methods.

To graph this equation on a TI-83 calculator, you can follow these steps:

1. Press the "Y=" button to access the graphing menu.
2. Enter the equation by typing in "abs(7-x)" in the first line.
3. Press the "WINDOW" button to adjust the window settings. You may need to change the x and y ranges to see the full graph.
4. Press "GRAPH" to see the graph of the equation.
5. You should see a V-shaped graph with the vertex at (7,0) and the arms extending towards the positive and negative x-axis.
6. You can also use the "TRACE" function to find specific points on the graph by pressing the left and right arrows to move along the graph.
7. To clear the graph and enter a new equation, press "Y=" and then "CLEAR" before entering the next equation.

Related to How would I graph this in my TI-83?

1. How do I enter data into my TI-83 calculator to create a graph?

To graph data on your TI-83 calculator, you will need to first enter the data values into lists. Press the "STAT" button and then select "1:Edit" to access the lists. Enter the data values into the appropriate list, and then press "2nd" and "Y=" to access the "STAT PLOT" menu. Select the type of graph you want to create and press "GRAPH" to view the graph.

2. Can I change the scale of my graph on the TI-83 calculator?

Yes, you can change the scale of your graph on the TI-83 calculator. To do so, press "WINDOW" and then use the arrow keys to adjust the values for the "Xmin", "Xmax", "Ymin", and "Ymax" parameters. You can also change the number of tick marks and the scale of the tick marks by adjusting the "Xscl" and "Yscl" values.

3. How do I plot multiple graphs on the same grid using my TI-83 calculator?

To plot multiple graphs on the same grid, you will need to turn on the "STAT PLOTS" for each graph you want to see. Press "2nd" and "Y=" to access the "STAT PLOT" menu, and then select the type of graph you want to add. Repeat this process for each additional graph you want to plot. Then, press "GRAPH" to view all of the graphs on the same grid.

4. How can I change the appearance of my graph on the TI-83 calculator?

You can change the appearance of your graph on the TI-83 calculator by adjusting the "TRACE" settings. Press "TRACE" and then use the arrow keys to move along the graph. Press "ZOOM" to adjust the viewing window and "TRACE" again to continue tracing the graph. You can also change the line style and color of the graph by pressing "FORMAT" and selecting "3:Line" or "4:Color".

5. Is it possible to save my graph on the TI-83 calculator?

Yes, you can save your graph on the TI-83 calculator. Press "2nd" and "Y=" to access the "STAT PLOT" menu, and then select "5:Copy". This will create a copy of your graph in the "Y=" menu. You can also save your graph as an image by pressing "2nd" and "PRGM" to access the "I/O" menu, and then selecting "8:Disp". This will display your graph on the screen, and you can press "ENTER" to save it as an image.