How would differentiation, as an operator, be classified as a group? Or could it?

In summary, group theory can be applied to differentiation by considering it as an unary operator and defining it as a function from a set of functions to another set of functions. This allows for a different type of group operation, such as function composition. However, some restrictions may need to be applied to ensure the group properties hold.
TylerH
I'm learning about group theory and wanted to apply it to something other than + and *, and I'm having trouble understanding how it can be applied to differentiation. I can see that integration would be the inverse, but is it binary of unary? Since you would write it as d(f), it appears unary, but you also have to know what variable to differentiate with respect to... Do you see the paradox?

I also noticed it is distributive but I don't think it's associative...

Physics news on Phys.org

What about the sets it operates on, how could you make a set with elements that are expressions? (maybe I should study set theory some more...)

TylerH said:
I'm learning about group theory and wanted to apply it to something other than + and *, and I'm having trouble understanding how it can be applied to differentiation. I can see that integration would be the inverse, but is it binary of unary? Since you would write it as d(f), it appears unary, but you also have to know what variable to differentiate with respect to... Do you see the paradox?

I also noticed it is distributive but I don't think it's associative...

Like you said, groups involve binary operators: differentiation does not: it is an unary operator.

TylerH said:
Since you would write it as d(f), it appears unary, but you also have to know what variable to differentiate with respect to... Do you see the paradox?
There is no paradox. Let X be the set of functions from ℝ into ℝ, and let S be the set of all f in X such that for all x in ℝ, the limit

[tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{f(x+h)-f(x)}{h}[/tex]

exists. The derivative operator D is a function from S into X, defined as follows. For each function f in S, we define a function f' by

[tex]f'(x)=\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{f(x+h)-f(x)}{h}[/tex]

for all x. Then we define D:S→X by Df=f'.

(Note that the expressions f and f' represent functions while the expressions f(x) and f'(x) represent numbers in the ranges of those functions).

A good example of a group that doesn't have addition or multiplication as the group operation is the group of permutations on a set X (i.e. the set of bijections from X into X with composition of functions as the binary operation).

Also, the set of all smooth (continuously differentiable to all degrees) bijective functions is a group under the group operation of function composition.

What you probably can do is look at the set of all smooth functions. Then the integers [tex]\mathbb{Z}[/tex] act on this set by differentiation.Thus we put an action on the smooth functions as

[tex]n\cdot f=f^{(n)}[/tex]

However, this would also require negative derivatives, but I don't think that will pose a problem.

Using fractional calculus, we can even let [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex] act on the set of smooth functions. Using the same action.

I'll leave it to you to fill in the details :smile:

micromass: Somehow you will have to deal with the fact that two different functions can have the same derivative (if they differ by a constant). If you restrict yourself to functions where, say, f(0) = 0, then you could indeed allow Z to act on the set of such functions (where 1 acts by differentiation).

slider142 said:
Also, the set of all smooth (continuously differentiable to all degrees) bijective functions is a group under the group operation of function composition.

False. The function f: R -> R, f(x) = x3, is smooth and bijective but does not have a smooth inverse.

Related to How would differentiation, as an operator, be classified as a group? Or could it?

What is differentiation as an operator?

Differentiation is a mathematical operation used to find the rate of change of a function with respect to a variable. It is often denoted by the symbol "d/dx".

How is differentiation classified as a group?

Differentiation, as an operator, is classified as a group because it satisfies the four criteria for a group: closure, identity, inverses, and associativity. This means that when two functions are differentiated, the resulting function is also a member of the group, there exists an identity element (the constant function), every function has an inverse (the integral), and the operation of differentiation is associative.

What is the significance of differentiation being classified as a group?

The significance of differentiation being classified as a group lies in its applications in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics. By understanding the properties of a group, we can better understand the behavior of functions and their derivatives and use them to solve complex problems.

Are there any exceptions to differentiation being classified as a group?

Yes, there are some exceptions to differentiation being classified as a group. One of the main exceptions is when the function being differentiated is not continuous or differentiable at certain points. In this case, the derivative may not exist or may not follow the rules of a group.

Can differentiation be classified as a group in other mathematical systems?

Yes, differentiation can be classified as a group in other mathematical systems, such as complex numbers and matrices. However, the properties and rules of the group may differ from those in the real numbers.