How would a trampoline solve the twin paradox in relativity?

In summary, the twin paradox is solved because one twin turns around and the other measures him to be younger due to the lack of acceleration.
BobSanchez
So we have covered relativity a couple weeks ago and I've been thinking about the twin paradox. It is when one twin travels on a high speed ship to some distant planet and back. But since all frames of reference are equivalent, each twin measures the other to be younger. My book explained that the paradox was solved because of the acceleration and turning around of the one ship and the fact that its speed is not entirely constant.

So my question is, since we are dealing with hypothetical near the speed of light velocity. What if we had a huge trampoline or something such that the ship could just bounce directly off and maintain its velocity without experiencing deceleration. Wouldn't this leave us with the original paradox?

I hope that makes sense...I am just not very satisfied with the resolution offered to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
BobSanchez said:
What if we had a huge trampoline or something such that the ship could just bounce directly off and maintain its velocity without experiencing deceleration.
Huh? A trampoline doesn't eliminate acceleration.

I'm just saying a hypothetical mechanism that can eliminate the acceleration and just shoot the ship back at the same velocity without the whole stopping, turning, etc. If there must be some transfer in energy, it would be insignificant and extremely brief.

I know there is no such mechanism, but we are working with hypothetics

1] The net result of the thought experiment is that velocity A is turned into velocity B (probably -A but not necessary).

2] The definition of acceleration is a change in velocity.

Considering nothing else, you can see that it is futile to try to imagine how you could - even in principle - have 1] without 2].

BobSanchez said:
I'm just saying a hypothetical mechanism that can eliminate the acceleration and just shoot the ship back at the same velocity without the whole stopping, turning, etc. If there must be some transfer in energy, it would be insignificant and extremely brief.
Doing it quickly does not use less energy. It actually makes the rate of transfer arbitrarily large. Reduce the time of transfer from 1000 senconds to 1 second and you increase the rate of transfer by a thousand fold. (Since "rate" is simply total amount transferred divided by time)

BobSanchez said:
I know there is no such mechanism, but we are working with hypothetics
It has nothing to do with mechanisms, as DaveC mentions, it is just definitions. If the twin turns around then he accelerated by definition.

Got it! Thanks. That makes sense, I don't know what I was thinking. Relativity is just such an absurd concept!

Related to How would a trampoline solve the twin paradox in relativity?

What is the Twin Paradox in relativity?

The Twin Paradox is a thought experiment in the theory of relativity that involves a pair of twins, one of whom travels away from the Earth at high speeds and then returns. It explores the concept of time dilation, where time appears to pass slower for the traveling twin compared to the stationary twin due to their different frames of reference.

What is the difference between the traveling twin and the stationary twin in the Twin Paradox?

The traveling twin is the one who experiences time dilation due to their high-speed travel, while the stationary twin remains in a relatively constant frame of reference on Earth. This results in the traveling twin aging slower than the stationary twin, leading to the paradoxical situation where the traveling twin may return to find their twin has aged significantly more.

Is the Twin Paradox a real phenomenon?

No, the Twin Paradox is a thought experiment and not a real phenomenon. It is used to illustrate the principles of relativity and time dilation, but it has not been experimentally observed. However, the effects of time dilation have been confirmed through experiments such as the Hafele-Keating experiment.

Can the Twin Paradox be resolved?

Yes, the Twin Paradox can be resolved by considering the difference in acceleration between the twins. The traveling twin experiences acceleration when they change direction, which can explain the difference in their aging compared to the stationary twin. Additionally, the concept of the twin paradox can be avoided by considering the traveling twin's entire journey, rather than just the round-trip.

Are there any real-life examples of the Twin Paradox?

While the Twin Paradox itself is a thought experiment, the principles of relativity and time dilation have been observed in real-life situations. For example, astronauts who spend extended periods of time in space age slightly slower than those on Earth due to their high speeds, as seen in the famous "twin astronauts" experiment with Scott and Mark Kelly.