How Universe is expanding faster than speed of light?

In summary, the question is about the possibility of the universe eventually surpassing the speed of light due to its accelerating expansion. However, this is not a contradiction as the speed of light is a cosmic speed limit and the expansion of the universe does not involve objects actually moving through space. This misconception is further explained in the provided articles and related forum thread.
SecretOfnumber
Hi Guys ,

Just read this at The NASA site:

http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/ask_astro/answers/070904a.html

""Q ...My question is if the universe is accelerating, eventually should it not reach a speed faster than the speed of light? Has anyone investigated the question as to what will happen if the expansion of the universe breaks the light speed barrier?

The Answer

A :Thanks for your question. It is true that nothing can go faster than the speed of light. And it is also true that our universe is expanding faster than the speed of light today. This sounds like a contradiction, but..."""

Could some one explain this to me please ?perhaps a little about length contraction... !sorry I just don't get it!

Cheers,:confused:

Space news on Phys.org
Its a metric thing. Coordinates on the graph paper are not constrained.

Thanks ,I guess I know what you mean, but does this is "actually "is happening in a physical world?

Related to How Universe is expanding faster than speed of light?

1. How can the Universe be expanding faster than the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. However, the expansion of the Universe is not limited by this speed because it is not a movement through space, but rather a stretching of space itself. This means that the space between objects is increasing, not the objects themselves moving through space faster than the speed of light.

2. How do we know that the Universe is expanding faster than the speed of light?

Scientists use a variety of methods to measure the expansion of the Universe, including observations of distant galaxies and the cosmic microwave background radiation. These measurements provide evidence that the Universe is expanding faster than the speed of light, as the distance between objects is increasing at a rate greater than the speed of light.

3. Is the expansion of the Universe constant or does it vary over time?

The expansion of the Universe is not constant and has been shown to be accelerating over time. This means that the rate of expansion is increasing, causing the Universe to expand faster than the speed of light. The cause of this acceleration is still not fully understood and is an area of ongoing research.

4. Will the Universe eventually expand faster than the speed of light?

Based on current measurements and theories, it is predicted that the expansion of the Universe will continue to accelerate, eventually reaching a point where the expansion will surpass the speed of light. However, this does not mean that objects within the Universe will exceed the speed of light, as the expansion of space itself is not limited by this speed.

5. What implications does the expansion of the Universe faster than the speed of light have on our understanding of physics?

This discovery challenges our current understanding of the laws of physics, particularly the theory of relativity. It also raises questions about the nature of dark energy, the force that is causing the acceleration of the expansion. Further research and observations will be necessary to fully understand the implications of this phenomenon on our understanding of the Universe and its fundamental laws.