How Tube Size & Openings Impact Water Flow

In summary, the main factors that affect the flow rate of water from a tube are the size of the tube and the size of the opening where the water enters. Increasing the size of the tube can increase the flow rate, but if the tube narrows, the pressure pushing the water remains the same, resulting in a decrease in flow rate. The pressure comes from the difference in height between the two water surfaces.
Tylercc
What affects how fast the water come out of the tube?(size of tube, size of opening where the water enters, etc) thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tylercc said:
What affects how fast the water come out of the tube?(size of tube, size of opening where the water enters, etc) thanks in advance.
Welcome to the PF.

What are your throughts? What do you think are the main things that affect the flow rate?

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--CZn8Ula2--/18dy62lbycc0gjpg.jpg
18dy62lbycc0gjpg.jpg

Well my first thought is that the size of the tube is what would affect the flow rate. So if I wanted to increase the flow rate I would have to increase size of the hose, but what I am not to sure about is could I make it flow faster just by increasing the size of the first part of the tube? I would have to imagine that to some degree if you had a big enough tube and connected to a smaller tube it would flow faster. Maybe not fast enough to be similar to what would come out of a hose bid, but I am thinking it should be faster because there would be more water "behind" the smaller tube. But then again I know for water to faster through a smaller tube there has to be enough pressure to behind the smaller tube to actually push the water and not just siphon water(basics of a pressure washer). So is it possible to increase the flow rate by just increasing part of the tube?

Tylercc said:
Well my first thought is that the size of the tube is what would affect the flow rate. So if I wanted to increase the flow rate I would have to increase size of the hose, but what I am not to sure about is could I make it flow faster just by increasing the size of the first part of the tube? I would have to imagine that to some degree if you had a big enough tube and connected to a smaller tube it would flow faster. Maybe not fast enough to be similar to what would come out of a hose bid, but I am thinking it should be faster because there would be more water "behind" the smaller tube. But then again I know for water to faster through a smaller tube there has to be enough pressure to behind the smaller tube to actually push the water and not just siphon water(basics of a pressure washer). So is it possible to increase the flow rate by just increasing part of the tube?
The pressure comes from the "head" or difference in heights of the two water surfaces. Using a bigger tube allows more water to flow for a given height difference. If the tube necks down, you still have the same pressure pushing the water, but less area to let the water flow through.

https://myelms.umd.edu/courses/969642/files/27532357?module_item_id=6128404

Likes Jcirish
Well that sucks. Thanks for your help.

Tylercc said:
Well that sucks.
Funny double-meaning! :smile:
Tylercc said:
Thanks for your help.
you're welcome.

Related to How Tube Size & Openings Impact Water Flow

1. How does the size of a tube impact water flow?

The size of a tube or pipe directly impacts the rate at which water flows through it. This is because the diameter of the tube determines the amount of space available for the water to flow through. A larger diameter means more space for the water to flow, resulting in a higher flow rate. On the other hand, a smaller diameter creates more resistance and therefore a slower flow rate.

2. What is the importance of the length of a tube in water flow?

The length of a tube also plays a role in water flow. Longer tubes result in a slower flow rate due to the increased surface area for friction to act on the water. This means that the water has to travel a longer distance and encounter more resistance, resulting in a slower flow rate. On the other hand, shorter tubes have less surface area and therefore less friction, resulting in a faster flow rate.

3. Can the shape of a tube impact water flow?

Yes, the shape of a tube can impact water flow. For example, a circular tube will have a higher flow rate compared to a square tube with the same diameter. This is because a circular tube has a more efficient shape for water flow, with less resistance and turbulence compared to a square tube.

4. How do openings or obstructions in a tube affect water flow?

Openings or obstructions in a tube can significantly impact water flow. If the opening is too small, it can create resistance and decrease the flow rate. On the other hand, large openings or obstructions can increase the flow rate by allowing more water to pass through. However, these openings or obstructions can also cause turbulence, which can disrupt the flow and decrease the overall efficiency of the system.

5. Is there an optimal tube size for maximum water flow?

There is no one optimal tube size for maximum water flow, as it depends on the specific application and system. In general, larger tubes will have a higher flow rate, but they may not be practical or cost-effective for every situation. It is essential to consider factors such as cost, space limitations, and system requirements when determining the best tube size for maximum water flow.