How torque and friction cause wheel to roll

In summary: But if the force is applied at the center of mass, then the torque is zero and there is no rotation. So in summary, a force applied at the base of the wheel, tangent to it, is responsible for both a linear acceleration and a torque, and a force applied to a free body (not at the center of mass) causes a linear acceleration and a torque. Additionally, the frictional static force acts as a pivot point, creating a momentary pivot that allows for rotation. By increasing the size of the pivot, one can see the effects of rotation more clearly. Ultimately, the force and center of mass should become co-linear for pure translation to occur.
Razvan
I apologize if this question has been answered before, but I did not find the explanation that I needed.

If a torque is applied to a wheel situated on a frictional surface, what forces cause the wheel to roll?

I know that if P is the contact point, the static frictional force counteracts the torque, making P stationary with respect to the surface.

What are the forces that cause the translation motion and how can I compute them?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Razvan said:
...the static frictional force ...

...What are the forces that cause the translation motion ...
You have mentioned it yourself.

Last edited:
But I should be able to find a force that can be considered to be applied at the center of mass in order for a pure translational acceleration to exist. Is there any source that explains the entire rolling motion?

Razvan said:
But I should be able to find a force that can be considered to be applied at the center of mass in order for a pure translational acceleration to exist. Is there any source that explains the entire rolling motion?
But you don't have a pure translational acceleration, when a wheel starts rolling.

I am aware, but what is the force that "helps" with the translational acceleration and how I can find both these accelerations?

Razvan said:
I am aware, but what is the force that "helps" with the translational acceleration
You have mentioned it yourself. There is only one external force, if you just apply a pure torque at the axis.

Razvan said:
and how I can find both these accelerations?
You have to write down the equations for linear and angular acceleration and solve them.

maybe it would help draw a diagram and the forces at play; for the moment, go ahead and replace the "torque" by an equivalent pair of forces, one above the center of the wheel, one below, both at a radius half of that of the wheel...

...don't forget to draw the frictional static force tangent to wheel right at the point where the wheel touches the ground (you can skip weight, if you want)

What forces combine to produce what?

So a force applied at the base of the wheel, tangent to it, is responsible for both a linear acceleration and torque?
In other words, a force applied to a free body (not at the center of mass) causes a linear acceleration (a=F/m) and a torque (F*r/I) as well? Thank you.

woahhh...not so fast.

o.k., allow me another attempt at explaining this.

The friction force is static, it does not move; but, at least, it also keeps the bottom of the wheel from moving, i.e., it creates some kind of pivot, if you will.

Once you represent the central torque as two separate forces, one above the center of the wheel and one below, you could think of these two forces as producing moments about the point where the wheel touches the ground (momentary pivot). Then, you will see that the moment produced by the force above the center of the wheel is greater than the one produced by the one below the center of the wheel...and, so, the summation of these two moments is not zero and a rotation is produced about the point currently touching the ground...this is a momentary pivot that comes about thanks to the static frictional force...

Another mental exercise could be to imagine what would happen if instead of a wheel, you have a gear and then you pivot the gear from a tangent point and apply torque at the center of the gear...what happens?...this should help you "forget" about linear translation, for a moment, and see the rotation motion alone...but a rotation about a point different than the center of the gear

Then, start increasing the size of the pivot to be a small gear...what happens?

Then increase the "pivot" gear to a large gear...what happens?

The increase the "pivot" gear to the size of the earth...

I understand. So because the bottom of the wheel does not move and the lever arm of the "top part of the torque" is longer than that of the "bottom part of the torque" the wheel rotates around that point.

As for the gear analogy, it is as if the wheel is made of very small flat parts. I think this is what you were trying to say.

I know this is not to the point, but the part about the force being applied to a free body (off center) is correct?
Thank you.

Hhhhmmm...I guess it depends how quickly you apply the force...meaning, if the force is applied instantaneously at its final constant velocity, it may produce quite a few oscillations/rotations of the body before it settles in its final state...if the force is applied gradually, starting from a velocity of zero and gradually increasing, the body may not oscillate as much...

...at the end, though, I am thinking the "torque" should disappear with the applied force and center of mass co-linear...and pure translation...at least with drag and friction present...you can this, not with a standing wheel, but with a disc flat on a smooth surface.

In other words, the applied force off the center of mass and the inertia at the center of mass do produce a torque that produce rotation, but because the applied force is moving in a straight line and there is nothing holding the center of mass...the rotation produced will tend to bring the center of mass onto the line of action of the applied force, reducing the "torque" at the same time...when the center of passes the line of action, the torque is zero and then switches sign and starts acting opposite direction to the rotation...I am thinking the center of mass will behave like a pendulum about the point of the applied force.

Razvan said:
So a force applied at the base of the wheel, tangent to it, is responsible for both a linear acceleration and torque?
In other words, a force applied to a free body (not at the center of mass) causes a linear acceleration (a=F/m) and a torque (F*r/I) as well? Thank you.

Yes. You've got it.

For a rigid body, you can write Newton's second law as
∑F=m*a_cm
where a_cm is the acceleration of the center of mass and ∑F is the sum of all forces acting on the body, no matter where their point of application is.

Related to How torque and friction cause wheel to roll

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied.

2. How does torque affect the rolling of a wheel?

When a torque is applied to a wheel, it causes the wheel to rotate around its axis. This rotation creates a force that allows the wheel to roll forward. The amount of torque applied determines the speed and direction of the wheel's rotation.

3. How does friction play a role in the rolling of a wheel?

Friction is the force that resists motion between two surfaces in contact. In the case of a rolling wheel, friction between the wheel and the ground allows the wheel to grip the surface and propel it forward. Without friction, the wheel would simply slide and not roll.

4. Can torque and friction cause a wheel to roll in the opposite direction?

Yes, if the torque applied to the wheel is in the opposite direction, it will cause the wheel to rotate in the opposite direction. Additionally, if the friction between the wheel and the ground is greater in one direction, it can also cause the wheel to roll in the opposite direction.

5. How does the size and shape of a wheel affect its rolling motion?

The size and shape of a wheel can affect its rolling motion in several ways. A larger wheel will cover more distance with each rotation, while a smaller wheel will require more rotations to cover the same distance. The shape of the wheel can also impact its friction with the ground, as a wider wheel may have more surface area in contact with the ground, increasing friction and improving rolling motion.