How to Write Loop Equations for a Circuit with Multiple Resistors and Batteries

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with five resistors and two batteries, and how to solve for the current in a specific resistor using loop and junction laws. The correct equations are given and the student is advised to write out their own loop equations to fully understand the solution.
Cisneros778

Homework Statement

I do not understand the solution provided for this problem.
0a805c84-6e44-420b-8909-d9a59ca556f3.gif

Consider the circuit with five resistors and two batteries (with no internal resistance) shown in the figure.

(b) Solve for the current in the 4-Ω resistor.

Homework Equations

loop law
junction law

The Attempt at a Solution

2d8e9d1b-5fad-4948-a6d5-59d1fe2d270e.gif

The answer below is correct, however I am confused on how equations (2) and (3) were found.

(1) 12 - i1 -3i2 =0
(2) 6 -5 i1 +8i2 -4i3 =0
(3) 6 + 2 i1 -2 i2 -6i3 =0

solving the above we get
i1= 4.16
i2 = 2.61
i3 =1.51

current through 4-O resistor = i3 = 1.51 A

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are confused between KVL and KCL that is loop law and junction law resp. as you mentioned. No the answer is not right and since its loop equation given as sum of all the voltages in a loop but you are using junction law with it.

Cisneros778 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

2d8e9d1b-5fad-4948-a6d5-59d1fe2d270e.gif

The answer below is correct, however I am confused on how equations (2) and (3) were found.

(1) 12 - i1 -3i2 =0
(2) 6 -5 i1 +8i2 -4i3 =0
(3) 6 + 2 i1 -2 i2 -6i3 =0
It looks like (2) is the loop equation for the loop 6V-3Ω-4Ω-5Ω, and (3) is the loop equation for the triangular loop in the upper right part of the circuit.

Try writing out these loop equations yourself. To do that you'll need to figure out:
The current in the 5Ω resistor, in terms of i1 and i2, and
the current in the 2Ω resistor, in terms of i1, i2, and i3.​

Related to How to Write Loop Equations for a Circuit with Multiple Resistors and Batteries

1. What is the formula for calculating current in Resistor 2?

The formula for calculating current in Resistor 2 is I = V/R, where I is the current in Amps, V is the voltage in Volts, and R is the resistance in Ohms.

2. How do I determine the resistance value of Resistor 2?

You can determine the resistance value of Resistor 2 by using a multimeter. Set the multimeter to the resistance measurement mode and connect the probes to each end of the resistor. The resistance value will be displayed on the multimeter.

3. What factors affect the current in Resistor 2?

The current in Resistor 2 is affected by the voltage applied to the circuit, the resistance of the resistor itself, and the overall resistance of the circuit. Temperature can also affect the resistance and therefore, the current in Resistor 2.

4. How does the current in Resistor 2 change in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the current in Resistor 2 will be the same as the current in the rest of the circuit. This is because the current has only one path to flow through and it must pass through each component in the circuit, including Resistor 2.

5. How does the current in Resistor 2 change in a parallel circuit?

In a parallel circuit, the current in Resistor 2 will be different from the current in the rest of the circuit. This is because the current has multiple paths to choose from and can split into different branches, with each branch having a different current value. The total current in the circuit will be equal to the sum of the currents in each branch.