How to write coupled mode equation of a given structure

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion of the speaker regarding the direct writing of equations in PT symmetry and CMT papers. They seek clarification on how to write equations to describe the dynamics of a given structure and are advised to refer to the referenced papers for further explanation. The use of a "tight binding" model from condensed matter physics is suggested and the importance of reading review papers is emphasized.
TimelordZhou
Recently I am reading the papers in the field of PT symmetry systems. What I am confused is that in these papers, authors directly write out the equations describe the dynamics of the given systems( For example, in this paper http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1103/1103.3389.pdf , authors put forward a honeycomb photonic lattice and they just write out the equations).
Now I am reading the papers about CMT written by Haus and Huang, but I still can not figure out how to write the equation describe the dynamics of a given structure.
So my question is that what I need to do so that I can give the coupled mode equations.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You will have to follow the references; the equations will be derived there, or in further references.

For example, the origin of the system of equations (1) will be explained in references [3-5].

This "tight binding" model is an application of a "standard" model from condensed matter physics to their particular problem, and will originate in a standard textbook in one of the references [3-5].

Thus when you are reading a paper in a new field you may also have to read a number of the references. It is often easier to seek out a review paper so that the slogging has been simplified by an expert in the area.

Related to How to write coupled mode equation of a given structure

1. What is a coupled mode equation?

A coupled mode equation is a mathematical representation of the interaction between different modes of a given physical system. It describes the coupling between these modes and how they influence each other's behavior.

2. How do I write a coupled mode equation?

To write a coupled mode equation, you first need to identify the different modes of your system and determine how they are coupled. Then, you can use mathematical techniques such as perturbation theory or the method of multiple scales to derive the equation.

3. What factors should I consider when writing a coupled mode equation?

When writing a coupled mode equation, you should consider the physical properties and boundary conditions of your system, the coupling mechanisms between the different modes, and any external forces or perturbations that may affect the system.

4. Are there any limitations to writing a coupled mode equation?

Yes, there are some limitations to writing a coupled mode equation. It may not accurately reflect the behavior of a highly nonlinear system, and it may be challenging to include all the relevant parameters and variables in the equation.

5. How can I validate my coupled mode equation?

You can validate your coupled mode equation by comparing its predictions to experimental or numerical data from the system. If the equation accurately describes the behavior of the system, it can be considered validated.