How to Watch a UFO: Tips for Identifying Unidentified Flying Objects

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    watch
In summary: The most common type of UFO reported is what is called an “ atmospheric phenomena ” such as a weather balloon, a “ lenticular cloud ” or an “ astronomical object .” These are often easily identifiable as something that is not from Earth, but with the right information, they can usually be identified as something natural or man-made.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
How to watch a flying saucer!

Years ago, two friends of mine, Ron DiIulio and John O. Williams, wrote and produced a planetarium show called “How to Watch A Flying Saucer.” Truthfully, I barely remember the show, but the title has always stuck with me.

However, I prefer the term “UFO” because “Flying Saucer” just automatically means that whatever it was, it was from another world in space. Although “UFO” carries the same general connotation, it just means “unidentified flying object,” and as such can be and often is later identified as some natural or human-made phenomenon or artifact. While there are a few UFO reports that are difficult to explain, and I cannot say with 100 percent certainty that no UFO report is the result of some visitation by beings from another planet, I have yet to see any convincing evidence.

Now, I am not writing here about what UFOs are or might be. They are unidentified flying objects, so they first step is to identify them as well as possible. While you may not know what you are observing, there may be someone out there who does, but you’ll find out only if you report your sighting with enough valid information.

Probably 99 percent [Ivan: Est to be more like 95%] of all “UFO” sightings are actually of human-made devices such as weather balloons, atmospheric phenomena such as lenticular clouds, or astronomical objects such as Venus. [Please hold your comments about what UFO’s may be — that is not what this blog entry is about. I’ll try to get around to that in a future blog.] With the right information, such sightings can usually be easily identified by a knowledgeable person. And even if the sighting remains unidentified, at least the known possibilities can be eliminated. [continued]
http://blogs.Earth'sky.org/larrysessions

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I find that holding my breath{so I don't scream} and sitting down{so I don't run around like a crazy person} helps a great deal. Of course, I've only seen one thing in the sky, that was so odd, that I had to apply these tactics.:cool:

Uh oh! Unless this is just a glitch, it seems that Mr. Sessions has removed this blog.
http://blogs.Earth'sky.org/larrysessions/space/073036/how-to-watch-a-flying-saucer/

Maybe it was too scary. :biggrin:

Okay, the blog is back. I was wondering if this was considered to be too controversial for EarthSky, which would be rather silly.

Part II: How to identify a UFO
...there are a small percentage of reports that are not easy to dismiss and do not appear to be within our capability to explain with the available information. In no way am I implying that even those sightings are alien spacecraft or interdimensional travelers, nor do I personally believe that, but in the absence of other information to the contrary, it is not hard to understand how some observers could make that speculation. But that is as far as I will go with the UFO as alien spacecraft question.

So, of the natural and human-made phenomena reported as UFOs, what are the most common? [continued]
http://blogs.Earth'sky.org/larrysessions/space/080538/how-to-identify-a-ufo/

1. What should I do if I see a UFO?

If you see a UFO, the first thing you should do is remain calm. Take note of the object's size, shape, color, and movement. You may also want to take photos or videos if possible. Do not try to approach the object or follow it. Instead, contact your local authorities or a UFO reporting agency.

2. How can I determine if a UFO is real or a hoax?

Determining the authenticity of a UFO sighting can be difficult. It's important to evaluate the credibility of the witness, as well as any photos or videos taken. Look for any logical explanations for the sighting, such as drones or balloons. You can also consult with experts or scientists for their opinions.

3. What equipment do I need to watch a UFO?

You do not need any special equipment to watch a UFO. However, having a camera or binoculars can help you get a better view of the object. Keep in mind that some UFO sightings may not be visible to the naked eye, so using a telescope or night vision equipment may also be helpful.

4. Where is the best place to watch for UFOs?

The best place to watch for UFOs is in a remote or dark location with minimal light pollution. This will make it easier to spot any unusual objects in the sky. You can also research areas where UFO sightings have been reported in the past, as these may be hotspots for sightings.

5. How can I report a UFO sighting?

If you witness a UFO, you can report it to your local authorities or a UFO reporting agency. There are also online databases where you can submit your sighting. Be sure to include as much detail as possible, including the date, time, location, and any photos or videos you may have taken.