How to wall mount a detachable shelf rack for computer

In summary: Tapcons also require that you drill a hole and the correct bit is either in a blister pack nearby on the store display, or inside the box if you're buying them in quantity.
TheMacNerd
Does anyone know how to wall mount a shelf rack (similar to a Truss shelf rack) to a concrete basement wall and hook computer supplies (like speakers, monitors/displays) on them while making the shelf rack detachable at the same time?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
Something like this?
http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/o...tions/72-h-wall-mount-unit-w-vesa-mount-beige

Your detach requirement is a little odd.

Well, i have a desk in the basement of the townhouse and I want to install the shelf racks on top only so that I can hook computer peripherals (like speakers, monitors and displays, whatever) on them for cable management and stuff. It's kind of like a gaming/workstation area. I have 3 total desktop computers. They're all refurbished. I'm just trying to update my workstation/gaming area .

TheMacNerd said:
I'm just trying to update my workstation/gaming area .
Can you post a photo of the area to give us a better feel for space and equipment?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Can you post a photo of the area to give us a better feel for space and equipment?

Attachments

• IMG_20171221_161118.jpg
    IMG_20171221_161118.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 435
  • IMG_20171221_161123.jpg
    IMG_20171221_161123.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 369
I'd make a "French Cleat" and fasten it to the wall with Tapcon(or similar) concrete screws. Then hang the shelf from the cleat.http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/how-to-plans/how-to/g2340/how-to-build-a-french-cleat-shelf/http://www.tapcon.com/products/concrete-screw-anchors/original-blue-tapcon

Looks like you should use at least one 3/16 in screw for every 100 pounds of load.
http://www.tapcon.com/getattachment/49dc7672-ddfd-4cf5-973d-e05565349e10/charts_performancetables_bluewhitestainless_v0-1_c.aspx
upload_2017-12-21_20-55-54.png

old jim

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-21_20-55-54.png
    upload_2017-12-21_20-55-54.png
    7.3 KB · Views: 418
Likes max262
I bought the command strips from 3-M to hang a coat rack on my wall in my apartment, they each hold 16 pound and I used two. I am sure you can figure out how to use some thin pieces of wood and the command strips to hang up small speakers etc...

Anchor wood furring strips to the masonry wall. Use the blue concrete/masonry anchors found at the home store. Be sure to set the screws into the mortar joints, not the cinder blocks themselves. Use of furring strips will help distribute the load and give you something easier to screw-mount other things into them. Can all be removed & patched if the landlord gets angry at your mods to his wall.

Likes Tom.G
tygerdawg said:
Use the blue concrete/masonry anchors found at the home store.
Are you describing plastic sheath anchors

upload_2017-12-22_12-31-37.jpeg

or masonry screws ?

upload_2017-12-22_12-32-58.png

old jim

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-22_12-31-37.jpeg
    upload_2017-12-22_12-31-37.jpeg
    3.9 KB · Views: 394
  • upload_2017-12-22_12-32-58.png
    upload_2017-12-22_12-32-58.png
    7.9 KB · Views: 394
jim hardy said:
plastic sheath anchors
That couldn't possibly go into concrete though right?

Greg Bernhardt said:
That couldn't possibly go into concrete though right?
It will if you drill a hole for it first. I don't trust them with significant load though.

Must have a Masonry bit to drill into a concrete block. It ruins an ordinary bit.
upload_2017-12-22_13-40-43.jpeg

note business end - those flutes are hard !.Tapcons also require that you drill a hole and the correct bit is either in a blister pack nearby on the store display, or inside the box if you're buying them in quantity.

old jim

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-22_13-40-43.jpeg
    upload_2017-12-22_13-40-43.jpeg
    2.1 KB · Views: 424
I meant the TAPCON masonry screws, not the little plastic sleeves. I always assumed the TAPCONs are usually a little stronger material to survive the torque into the masonry. They would also survive more shear load. As old Jim said, a masonry bit usually comes in the pack of screws.

Likes jim hardy
tygerdawg said:
TAPCONs are usually a little stronger material to survive the torque into the masonry. They would also survive more shear load.
Tension too.
I can usually pull out a screw that's in a plastic anchor if i grab it with pliers. I'd never place a heavy monitor on a shelf supported by them.
But just some lightweight computer speakers? Sure. No sand filled Wharfdales, though .

Related to How to wall mount a detachable shelf rack for computer

1. How do I determine the best location for wall mounting a detachable shelf rack for my computer?

The best location for wall mounting a detachable shelf rack for your computer would be near your desk or workspace, at a height that is comfortable for you to access. It should also be in an area with good ventilation to prevent your computer from overheating.

2. What tools and materials do I need to wall mount a detachable shelf rack for my computer?

You will need a drill, drill bits, screws, a screwdriver, a level, a measuring tape, and wall anchors (if your wall is not made of solid wood). You will also need the detachable shelf rack and any additional hardware that may be included.

3. How do I properly attach the detachable shelf rack to the wall?

First, use a measuring tape and level to mark where the shelf rack will be mounted on the wall. Then, use a drill to create holes for the screws and wall anchors (if needed). Next, secure the wall anchors into the holes and then attach the shelf rack to the wall using the screws and a screwdriver. Make sure the shelf rack is securely attached and level before placing any items on it.

4. Can I use a detachable shelf rack for my computer monitor?

Yes, you can use a detachable shelf rack for your computer monitor as long as it is securely mounted and can support the weight of your monitor. Make sure to also check the weight limit of the shelf rack and the size of your monitor to ensure it will fit properly.

5. Can I easily remove the shelf rack from the wall if needed?

Yes, the detachable shelf rack can easily be removed from the wall if needed. Simply unscrew the screws and detach the shelf rack from the wall anchors. However, make sure to properly store the hardware so it can be used again if needed.