Cancer Resistant Mice: New Breakthrough

• Thread starter Entropia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cancer
In summary, the gene therapy idea is to insert the gene for cancer resistance into a virus that is programmed not to copy itself and burst cells. This is already in use, but is still somewhat problematic.
Entropia
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=571&ncid=571&e=25&u=/nm/20030429/hl_nm/mouse_cancer_dc_1

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
Wow. Thats incredible. Sounds like a little bit of evolution in action... You breed up a bazillion mice each year, and kill em all off with cancer, and one day you're going to hit a resistant one!

I wonder if the gene is resistant to all types of cancer, or just a particular family, or just one type... Thats the truly unfortunate thing about cancer. There isn't just 'cancer' and that's it...they are all different.

wow, interesting. Perhaps if the specific gene can be found, and with advancements in Human Genetic construction and modifications, Humans could have this Gene incorporated into their own. Perhaps (Probably atleast a century from now) Make a viral type unit, which, like a virus, injects its DNA into our own, causing us to produce viral growths and reproduce the virus itself. Yet instead of reproducing the virus that it coded into our DNA, perhaps add in the DNA necessary to create the protein(s) that make up anti-cancerous cells. Because we are not reproducing the "virus" itself, it probably would not rupture our cells as do most viruses.

Tell me if I made absolutely no sense there.

Originally posted by The_oMeGa
Tell me if I made absolutely no sense there.
Oh no, you made sense, you just don't understand how you almost got the right answer. Instead of just having the virus hold the DNA though, the idea is that you put the DNA in Lytic Retroviruses. That is, viruses that are programmed not to copy themselves and burst cells, and viruses that take their own DNA (actually stoared as RNA, then reverse copied into DNA (hence 'retro-virus')) and inserts it into the cellular DNA. Thereby permanently inserting it into the organism.

This is the idea behind Gene Therapy, and is already in use. though still somewhat problematic. (our bodies have evolved many ways of avoiding viruses for a start, and secondly, there is still a lot which is out of our control.)

holy ****.

Wow i thought that was just theoretical BS that came out of a 10th grade honors biology I student.

Haha.
So is this technology usable in the form of this cancer resistance?

Here's the PNAS paper: http://www.pnas.org/cgi/reprint/1031601100v1 ; you can get it if you have institutional access. I haven't read it yet...

What is the significance of cancer resistant mice?

The discovery of cancer resistant mice is a major breakthrough in the fight against cancer. By studying these mice, we can gain a better understanding of the mechanisms that protect them from developing this deadly disease. This knowledge can then be applied to develop new treatments and prevention strategies for human cancer.

How were these cancer resistant mice created?

Cancer resistant mice were created through genetic engineering techniques. Scientists identified certain genes that play a role in cancer development and modified these genes in the mice to make them resistant to cancer. This process is known as gene editing and it allows us to study the effects of specific genes on cancer development.

Can these cancer resistant mice be used to cure cancer?

While these mice are resistant to cancer, they are not a cure for cancer. However, by studying their genetic makeup and understanding how they are protected from cancer, we can develop new treatments and prevention strategies that may someday lead to a cure for cancer.

What are the potential implications of this breakthrough for human cancer treatment?

The discovery of cancer resistant mice has the potential to greatly impact human cancer treatment. By understanding the genetic mechanisms that protect these mice from cancer, we can develop targeted therapies that specifically target these mechanisms in humans. This could lead to more effective and less harmful treatments for cancer patients.

What further research is needed in this area?

While the discovery of cancer resistant mice is a significant breakthrough, there is still much research to be done in this area. Scientists need to continue studying these mice to gain a deeper understanding of the genetic mechanisms that protect them from cancer. This will help us develop more effective treatments and prevention strategies for human cancer. Additionally, further research is needed to determine if these findings can be applied to other animal models and ultimately, to humans.