How to use Sterling's approximation with calculator

In summary, the conversation discusses the number of ways to distribute 2 indistinguishable particles in 100 distinguishable states without any particles sharing a state. The equation ln(n!) = nln(n) - n is mentioned, as well as the need to compute 100!/98!. The speaker is unsure of the intermediate step needed to compute this result and is wondering if Stirling's formula is necessary.
leroyjenkens

Homework Statement

w!/(w-n)! = number of ways of distributing n* distinguishable particles in w distinguishable states

w = number of distinguishable states
n = number of indistinguishable particles

How many ways are there to put 2 particles in 100 boxes, with no particles sharing a box.

Homework Equations

ln(n!) = nln(n) - n

The Attempt at a Solution

I get ln(n!) = 100ln(100) - 100 = 360.5 and
ln(98!) = 98ln(98) - 98 = 351.3

I need to raise both of those numbers to e to get the final answer, but my calculator can't do that. The final answer is a relatively small answer that a calculator can handle, but getting to that answer is impossible unless you do some intermediate step. That step involves doing something with these numbers before I raise them to e. I can't figure out what that step is. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you don't really need to compute the factorials to compute 100!/98!. Have you been told explicitly to use Stirling's formula?

Related to How to use Sterling's approximation with calculator

1. How do I use Sterling's approximation with a calculator?

To use Sterling's approximation with a calculator, you will need to input the factorial value of the number you are approximating. Then, multiply that value by 2π and take the square root. Finally, multiply the result by the original number and divide by e. This will give you an approximate value for your calculation.

2. What is Sterling's approximation used for?

Sterling's approximation is used to approximate the factorial of a large number without having to calculate it manually. This can be helpful in situations where calculating the factorial would be time-consuming or difficult, such as in statistical calculations or in physics equations.

3. Can Sterling's approximation be used for any number?

Yes, Sterling's approximation can be used for any number, but it becomes more accurate as the number gets larger. For smaller numbers, the difference between the approximate value and the actual value may be significant.

4. How accurate is Sterling's approximation?

The accuracy of Sterling's approximation depends on the size of the number being approximated. For larger numbers, the approximation is very accurate, but for smaller numbers, the difference between the approximate value and the actual value may be significant.

5. Are there any limitations to using Sterling's approximation?

Yes, there are a few limitations to using Sterling's approximation. Firstly, it only works for large numbers, so it cannot be used for smaller numbers. Additionally, it is an approximation and not an exact value, so it may not be suitable for situations where precise calculations are required.