Astronomy Trivia Challenge: Can You Answer These Questions About the Night Sky?

In summary, this conversation is about an astronomy Q&A game where players take turns asking and answering questions. The rules are that a question must be answered correctly within 3 days or a new question is posted. If the person who posted the question does not respond within 2-3 days, the first person to answer correctly can then post their own question. The first question asked is about the brightest star in the Northern Sky, with the correct answer being Sirius. The game then continues with questions about other astronomical topics such as supermassive black holes, energy generation in stars, and the length of Pluto's orbit. The conversation also includes some discussion about the rules and format of the game, as well as some jokes and personal anecdotes from the
Nicool002
[SOLVED] Astronomy Q&A Game

Hi guys! Most of you know how this works but for the newcomers:

The rules are this: someone will ask a question and if the question is not answered correctly within 3 days then a new question will be posted. If an answer to a question is posted and the person that posted the question does not respond to the answer within 2 to 3 days, then the first person to have answered the question will then be able to post their own question. HAVE FUN AND LEARN!

I will start:

Question: What is the brightest star in the Northern Sky? (excluding the sun)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I'm making an educated guess here:

Alpha Canis Majoris (Sirius)?

Techincally, I think Deneb is the "brightest" but only in absolute magnitude. It's so far away that it really doesn't make much of a difference since its apparent magnitude is not as bright as Sirius.

Hey it's only a guess.

oh, man. I better lock this now before you guys swamp our server resources again.
-jk

haha *hurt look* us? Phobos why ever would you say that? hehe

Yes sting you are correct, your go.

My go? My turn to ask a question (I never participated in the original thread so I have no idea how this works)?

Okay, my question: What is the name of the large multiringed basin located on Mercury at a longitude of 180 degrees?

I believe that it is the Caloris Basin. Am I correct?

$#%^! I sure pick easy questions don't I?

Yes, you got it right. I guess, it's "your go"

I knew that from when I studied Astronomy for Science Olympiad (By the way guys I got a gold medal in Astronomy for the Competition )

Ok. True Or False

Do we havea supermassive black hole at the center of our galaxy?

Shoot, that was quick...

Uhhh truefalse...

Actually, I don't know if it was ever "proven" but I'm going with "true"

Correct, it is true. On Discover, they lookd at something like 37 galaxies and in each one, they found a supermassive black hole. Then, they looked at our galaxy and guesss what they found... Oh wait, sting already said it.

Yippee!

Okay, I guess it's my turn:

What is the name given to the energy generation in which a stellar object initiates helium burning by the triple-alpha process?

OK I don't think I know this one but I'm going to go out on a limb and say the Nuclear Fusion that a star relies on to live... but I am not sure if that's right.

for how many years does pluto enter into neptune's orbit, and how many years does it take pluto to make one revolution around the sun?

no cheating...

Kerrie I'm going to answer your question but first The way I put it in the rules was that one question had to be answered before the next was asked that way you don't have a bunch of questions going on at once :smile:

Answer: Pluto takes 247 years that is the first answer. The second is... well I am not sure but I think it is around 100 years although that is basicaly just a guess.

OK I don't think I know this one but I'm going to go out on a limb and say the Nuclear Fusion that a star relies on to live... but I am not sure if that's right.

Generally, yes, but I was thinking more of a specific name but I'll give you a clue (two words)

helium fusion...?

Last edited:
What is the 'helium flash'?

how many years does it take pluto to make one revolution around the sun

Well if I was being tricky I would say exactly 1. Plutonian year that is :wink:

Raavin

Darn, I do believe damgo got it.

Originally posted by Raavin
Well if I was being tricky I would say exactly 1. Plutonian year that is :wink:

Raavin

It takes pluto 250 Earth years to make one revolution around the sun.

I think Damgo got it too. The 'initiation' would seem to be the helium flash which continues into helium fusion. I think that's right, as the helium fuses to carbon 12, then you then have carbon flash and I assume you could have oxygen and neon flash but, for reasons that elude me, it would seem that it is naturally unlikely do to the changes/reduction in pressure until it gets to iron.

Raavin

Last edited:
Yep, he's right.

Helium flash was the answer I was looking for.

:) Hmm... okay, what does /\-CDM stand for, and what is it?

Can we have a normal Astronomy category

This may sound a bit sour but... now we are starting a new leaf, how about you starting a separate topic called "Astronomy Questions Game" so we can use the word "Astronomy" for a general topic of Astronomy without turning it into a sort of "Who wants to be a Millionaire" (an Aussie TV program :)

By the way, what happened to all the old posts, have they been classified due to the impending war or something?

[ome]

...cold dark matter...
...cold dark matter is composed of objects massive enough to move at sub-relativistic velocities...

Originally posted by damgo
:) Hmm... okay, what does /\-CDM stand for, and what is it?

As the previous poster pointed out CDM stands for cold dark matter, but the /\ stands for the dark energy or cosmological constant. I couldn't begin to tell you what cold dark matter is or what dark energy is, because no one knows! :smile:

I have turned to the darkside...
For I have tasted the truth...
(CEO Morgan's Recycling Tanks of Humour)

Yep, cragwolf got it... it's the cosmological model with large lamda, omega_matter mostly dark.

Well first off JJalexand were you on the old PF? and second off it's because this was the name on the old PF and I didn't want to change it and this thread IS about astronomy. I made it a game so it would be more fun.

(as you can see I had to change my name having login troubles seeing what we can do about it)

Originally posted by damgo
Yep, cragwolf got it... it's the cosmological model with large lamda, omega_matter mostly dark.

Hi damgo, can you award the prize to Bogdan, since he got most of the question right, and I'm feeling generous? :smile:

Well right now I don't know the answer to your question. I will try to find the answer but I can't really guarantee anything. Does anyone know the answer?

What question ?[?]

sure...

I believe it is CragWolf's question now am I right? SO go ahead and ask away crag.

No, it's bogdan's question. Go ahead, bogdan, ask any astronomy question you like.

<h2>1. What is the difference between a planet and a star?</h2><p>A planet is a celestial body that orbits around a star and does not produce its own light. It is much smaller than a star and is made up of mostly rock and gas. A star, on the other hand, is a massive, luminous sphere of plasma that produces its own light and heat through nuclear fusion.</p><h2>2. How many planets are in our solar system?</h2><p>There are eight planets in our solar system: Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune. Pluto was previously considered a planet, but is now classified as a dwarf planet.</p><h2>3. What is a constellation?</h2><p>A constellation is a group of stars that form a recognizable pattern in the night sky. They are used as a way to navigate and locate specific stars and objects in the sky.</p><h2>4. What is a black hole?</h2><p>A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. They are formed when a massive star dies and collapses in on itself.</p><h2>5. How do stars die?</h2><p>Stars can die in different ways depending on their size. Smaller stars, like our sun, will eventually run out of fuel and become a white dwarf. Larger stars will go through a series of explosions before collapsing in on themselves and becoming a neutron star or black hole.</p>

1. What is the difference between a planet and a star?

A planet is a celestial body that orbits around a star and does not produce its own light. It is much smaller than a star and is made up of mostly rock and gas. A star, on the other hand, is a massive, luminous sphere of plasma that produces its own light and heat through nuclear fusion.

2. How many planets are in our solar system?

There are eight planets in our solar system: Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune. Pluto was previously considered a planet, but is now classified as a dwarf planet.

3. What is a constellation?

A constellation is a group of stars that form a recognizable pattern in the night sky. They are used as a way to navigate and locate specific stars and objects in the sky.

4. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. They are formed when a massive star dies and collapses in on itself.

5. How do stars die?

Stars can die in different ways depending on their size. Smaller stars, like our sun, will eventually run out of fuel and become a white dwarf. Larger stars will go through a series of explosions before collapsing in on themselves and becoming a neutron star or black hole.