How to use Business Email (Technical)

In summary, using business email (technical) requires a professional and concise writing style, proper email etiquette, and careful consideration of the recipient's communication preferences. It is important to have a clear subject line, use a formal greeting and closing, and avoid using abbreviations or slang. Additionally, attachments should be properly labeled and the email should be proofread for any errors before sending. It is also helpful to familiarize oneself with the company's email policies and security measures to ensure the protection of sensitive information. Overall, effective business email communication can greatly enhance professional relationships and improve efficiency in the workplace.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi All,
I recently started a new job and I was assigned a personal email address by the company, but I am
clueless on how it works:

The email is of the form : username@companyname.com

I was told I can "log on to it" through Gmail. Anyone know how this works? I mean, how can

I send an email under this address, how can I check my emails ? I know for a fact the company does not have
its own server. Does it buy or freely get some service from Google/Gmail? I am aware of free services like Gmail itself and Googledocs, Google alerts, etc. but I am not familiar with this. Any ideas?

Sorry, I feel like an idiot for being so clueless and thanks for any help. Just in case (obviously), I am not the
CTO nor the IT :)

Computer science news on Phys.org
WWGD said:
Hi All,
I recently started a new job and I was assigned a personal email address by the company, but I am
clueless on how it works:

The email is of the form : username@companyname.com

I was told I can "log on to it" through Gmail. Anyone know how this works? I mean, how can

I send an email under this address, how can I check my emails ? I know for a fact the company does not have
its own server. Does it buy or freely get some service from Google/Gmail? I am aware of free services like Gmail itself and Googledocs, Google alerts, etc. but I am not familiar with this. Any ideas?

Sorry, I feel like an idiot for being so clueless and thanks for any help. Just in case (obviously), I am not the
CTO nor the IT :)
You go to gmail put the whole email name (username@companyname.com) and then the password when asked for it. Gmail will either log you in or redirect you to another page (from the company) which will probably ask for the password if the company handles the email.

The other option is to use an email client. You know, Thunderbird or whatever.

Likes harborsparrow and WWGD
Psinter said:
You go to gmail put the whole email name (username@companyname.com) and then the password when asked for it. Gmail will either log you in or redirect you to another page (from the company) which will probably ask for the password if the company handles the email.

The other option is to use an email client. You know, Thunderbird or whatever.
Sorry, but where do I put the email name? In a new email, on the search bar? Sorry for being slow.:oops:

WWGD said:
I was told I can "log on to it" through Gmail. Anyone know how this works?

Gmail is part of Google Apps, which has documentation here: https://apps.google.com/learning-center/

As described there, try going to http://mail.google.com/ , and enter your given e-mail address and password.

The college where I work uses Gmail and the other Google Apps. We have a special domain http://mail.g.ourdomain.edu (where "ourdomain" of course is a place-holder for the real name). Your company may or may not be set up similarly. But I don't remember what it looks like when you go there as a new user. When I go there now it remembers my address and either logs me in automatically or asks me for my password if I haven't logged in for a while.

Don't be embarrassed to ask your IT people about things if you have trouble. There may be peculiarities related to their system.

Last edited by a moderator:
jtbell said:
Gmail is part of Google Apps, which has documentation here: https://apps.google.com/learning-center/

As described there, try going to http://mail.google.com/ , and enter your given e-mail address and password.

The college where I work uses Gmail and the other Google Apps. We have a special domain http://mail.g.ourdomain.edu (where "ourdomain" of course is a place-holder for the real name). Your company may or may not be set up similarly. But I don't remember what it looks like when you go there as a new user. When I go there now it remembers my address and either logs me in automatically or asks me for my password if I haven't logged in for a while.

Don't be embarrassed to ask your IT people about things if you have trouble. There may be peculiarities related to their system.

Thank you, for some reason my searches all come up in a language I was told is Hebrew, no idea why, so I cannot do an(understandable) online search.

Last edited by a moderator:
WWGD said:
Sorry, but where do I put the email name? In a new email, on the search bar? Sorry for being slow.:oops:
No hassle. :wink: Like in the link jtbell wrote, go here: https://mail.google.com/
  • And there's a box that says in a placeholder text (gray text): Enter your email
  • Enter your email (username@companyname.com) and click the button that says: "Next"
  • Then it will ask for your password or before asking for your password it will redirect you to the login page managed by the company. If it asks for your password without redirecting then Google manages the email. If it redirects then your company manages the email.

Likes harborsparrow
WWGD said:
I actually use Google Apps for Physics Forums email. It can be slightly confusing especially when you have a personal gmail account.

Likes harborsparrow
My dad's work email was through Gmail. He was given a URL in which he could log in using his username (not full email) and password. It required a code if he logged into his emails at home. Maybe your company has a dedicate Gmail URL which you use to log in?

My company has gmail. Our email addresses are of form my_name@our_company.com. In any browser you can go to mail.google.com and login with your email address.

I use chrome as my dedicated mail client (and firefox for browsing).

Thanks all, I got it, I successfully logged in.

Likes harborsparrow

Related to How to use Business Email (Technical)

1. How do I set up a business email account?

To set up a business email account, you will need to choose an email service provider, such as Gmail or Outlook. Then, you can create a new account by entering your personal and business information, choosing a unique email address, and setting a secure password. Once your account is created, you can access it through your chosen email service provider's website or app.

2. Can I use my existing email address for my business email?

Technically, you can use your existing email address for your business email, but it is not recommended. It is best to create a separate email address for your business to maintain a professional image and keep your personal and business emails separate. Additionally, using a generic email domain (e.g. Gmail or Yahoo) for your business email may not look as professional as having a custom domain (e.g. yourname@yourbusiness.com).

3. How can I organize my business emails?

There are a few ways to organize your business emails. One way is to create folders or labels for different categories or projects. You can also use filters or rules to automatically sort incoming emails into specific folders. Another helpful tip is to regularly archive or delete old emails to keep your inbox clutter-free.

4. What is the difference between CC and BCC in a business email?

CC stands for "carbon copy" and BCC stands for "blind carbon copy". When you CC someone on an email, all recipients can see that person's email address and they are included in the email thread. When you BCC someone, they will receive a copy of the email, but their email address will not be visible to other recipients. BCC is often used when sending a mass email to a large group of people to protect their privacy.

5. How can I ensure the security of my business emails?

To ensure the security of your business emails, you can take a few precautions. First, use a strong and unique password for your email account. You can also enable two-factor authentication for an extra layer of security. Additionally, be cautious when opening emails from unknown senders or clicking on links or attachments. It is also important to regularly update your email software and run antivirus scans on your computer.