How to use ballistic coefficient (SI units)?

In summary, Russian sources use ballistic coefficients, such as BC = 3.0 kg/m^2 or BC = 3.0 m^2/kg, which differ from the usual G1, G7 ratings. These BC ratings can be used to calculate the velocity at a certain point downrange, and are not specific to Russia. The G-ratings take into account the shape of the bullet and are used to model drag in trajectory relations.
Gews
Reading in Russian sources I see they use ballistic coefficients such as these:

BC = 3.0 kg/m^2

or alternatively

BC = 3.0 m^2/kg

That's quite different than the usual G1, G7, etc.

Given a certain muzzle velocity, how do I use that to calculate velocity at some point downrange?

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to How to use ballistic coefficient (SI units)?

1. What is the formula for calculating ballistic coefficient in SI units?

The formula for calculating ballistic coefficient (BC) in SI units is: BC = (0.295 x SD) / (Weight in grains)

2. What is the unit of measurement for ballistic coefficient?

The unit of measurement for ballistic coefficient is m-1 (per meter).

3. How do I convert my ballistic coefficient from English units to SI units?

To convert ballistic coefficient from English units (lbs/in2) to SI units (m-1), multiply by 0.295.

4. What is the importance of using SI units for ballistic coefficient?

Using SI units for ballistic coefficient allows for consistency and ease of comparison between different bullet types and sizes. It also allows for more accurate calculations and predictions.

5. How can I improve my understanding and use of ballistic coefficient in SI units?

To improve your understanding and use of ballistic coefficient in SI units, it is important to first understand the concept of BC and how it relates to bullet performance. You can also practice calculating BC for different bullets and use online resources or software to help with calculations. It is also helpful to stay up to date with new developments and advancements in bullet design and BC measurements.