How to Use a 12V Motor as a Generator for a Heating Element?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using a 12v motor to power a heating element that also requires 12v. However, it is noted that a motor is not the correct device to use and a generator would be more appropriate. The discussion also mentions the importance of knowing the wattage of the element in order to find a suitable power source. The conversation concludes with a suggestion for a link that may provide more information on using a motor as a generator.
SarahByrne
What output does a 12v motor give. I need to power a heating element that requires 12v, can I do this with a 12v motor? If not what size motor do I need?

Thank you in advance for any help

Sarah

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think you mean generator, not motor. But that aside, if you are using a 12v battery or your car's alternator, then a resistive heating element is a very high load.

A large (group 31) deep discharge battery, could supply 500 watts to a heater for probably only 20 minutes. A 50 amp alternator in a car could also do it. Most heaters are 750 to 1500 watts, and most are not designed for 12v operation.

Do you have more details on the heater?

Likes SarahByrne
anorlunda said:
I think you mean generator, not motor. But that aside, if you are using a 12v battery or your car's alternator, then a resistive heating element is a very high load.

A large (group 31) deep discharge battery, could supply 500 watts to a heater for probably only 20 minutes. A 50 amp alternator in a car could also do it. Most heaters are 750 to 1500 watts, and most are not designed for 12v operation.

Do you have more details on the heater?

The heating element only needs 12v to heat up to 400c. I don't want to give away too much information :-) but I need to power this element by something cost effective and very small. i.e. the motor. Could I not power that using a motor or is that not how it works? sorry to be so vague completely useless at this but have a really good idea that I would like to work on.

Thanks

Sarah

How many watts do you need, for how many minutes? I can't tell if you are trying to heat a tiny soldering tip or a whole house in mid winter.

SarahByrne said:
The heating element only needs 12v to heat up to 400c. I don't want to give away too much information :-) but I need to power this element by something cost effective and very small. i.e. the motor. Could I not power that using a motor or is that not how it works? sorry to be so vague completely useless at this but have a really good idea that I would like to work on.

Thanks

Sarah

It sounds like your goal is to pursue a patent. If that is the case you are taking a big risk coming to a public forum.

We can only really help you if you share more details.

SarahByrne said:
The heating element only needs 12v to heat up to 400c.

you must at least tell us the wattage of the element, else there is nothing anyone can do to help

SarahByrne said:
Could I not power that using a motor or is that not how it works?

you have already been told ... you need a generator, NOT a motor

so what will power the generator ?

again ... if you can't help us, then we can't help you ... its as simple as thatDave

Sheesh --- answer the question already. Why tell her she is asking the wrong question.

Let's assume she has a motor, and sometimes want to use it as a generator. So she can warm up while going down hill on her motorized bike ... or whatever

So, where's a good link to answer this?

maybe http://www.scienceshareware.com/bicycle-generator-faq.htm#pm-size

Without power numbers, you are on your own.

Likes jim hardy and sophiecentaur

Related to How to Use a 12V Motor as a Generator for a Heating Element?

1. What is the voltage output of a 12V motor?

The voltage output of a 12V motor is 12 volts. This is the standard voltage rating for most 12V motors.

2. Can a 12V motor have a different voltage output?

No, a 12V motor is designed to have a specific voltage output of 12 volts. Any other voltage output would require a different type of motor.

3. How is the voltage output of a 12V motor measured?

The voltage output of a 12V motor is measured using a multimeter or voltmeter. These tools measure the electrical potential difference between two points, which in this case is the positive and negative terminals of the motor.

4. What factors can affect the voltage output of a 12V motor?

The voltage output of a 12V motor can be affected by the load or resistance it is driving, as well as the quality and condition of the motor's components. Temperature and external power sources can also impact the voltage output.

5. Can the voltage output of a 12V motor be increased?

No, the voltage output of a 12V motor cannot be increased. It is limited by the design and construction of the motor. Attempting to increase the voltage output could damage the motor or cause it to malfunction.