How to understand potential energy in Lagrangian

In summary, the potential energy of a Lagrangian for a closed necklace system of N beads, each of mass m, interacting only with its nearest neighbour, has a form of V=V(q_{1},q_{2},\dots q_{N}) where V is a function of the generalised coordinates. The Lagrangian for this system includes a kinetic term and two potential terms, one due to harmonic approximation and the other being a constant term for dimensional consistency.
Dixanadu
Hi guys,

So I'm trying to understand why the potential energy of a Lagrangian is the way it is.

The system I'm considering is a closed necklace of N beads, each of mass m. Each bead interacts only with its nearest neighbour.

First let me make some comments:
1) Each bead is labeled with a generalised coordinate [itex]q_{i}[/itex]
2) there is no explicit time dependence of the generalised coordinates
3) the system is conservative, so the potential is a function only of the generalised coordinates: [itex]V=V(q_{1},q_{2},\dots q_{N})[/itex],

The Lagrangian for this system is

[itex]L=\frac{1}{2}\sum_{i=1}^{N}m\dot{q}_{i}^{2}-\frac{1}{2}\sum_{i=1}^{N}hq_{i}^{2}-k(q_{i}-q_{i+1})^{2}[/itex].

I don't understand why the potential has this form. I think i know where the second term [itex]-k(q_{i}-q_{i+1})^{2}[/itex] comes from - its due to the harmonic approximation. But what about the first term?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is ##h##?

To be honest I don't think [itex]h[/itex] has a particular meaning - it's just a constant for dimensional consistency perhaps? something like that

Related to How to understand potential energy in Lagrangian

1. What is potential energy in Lagrangian?

Potential energy in Lagrangian is a concept used in classical mechanics to describe the energy associated with the position of a system. It is a type of energy that is stored in an object due to its position or configuration, and can be released or converted into other forms of energy.

2. How is potential energy related to Lagrangian mechanics?

In Lagrangian mechanics, potential energy is one of the two components that make up the total energy of a system, the other being kinetic energy. It is included in the Lagrangian function, which is a mathematical expression that describes the dynamics of a system in terms of its generalized coordinates and their derivatives.

3. What are the different types of potential energy in Lagrangian mechanics?

There are several types of potential energy that can be described using Lagrangian mechanics, including gravitational potential energy, elastic potential energy, and electric potential energy. Each type is associated with a specific force or interaction within a system.

4. How do you calculate potential energy in Lagrangian mechanics?

The specific method for calculating potential energy in Lagrangian mechanics depends on the type of potential energy being considered. In general, potential energy can be calculated as the negative gradient of the potential function, which is defined in terms of the generalized coordinates and their derivatives.

5. Why is potential energy important in Lagrangian mechanics?

Potential energy plays a crucial role in the Lagrangian formulation of classical mechanics because it helps to describe the behavior of a system in terms of its energy and its interactions with other objects. By accounting for potential energy, Lagrangian mechanics allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the dynamics of a system and its underlying physical principles.