How to understand flow of air in a car

In summary: The Bernoulli Effect is why convertible soft-tops are sucked outward while the car is moving and not pushed inward. It will also suck heavy sheets of 4x8 plywood right out of the bed of moving pickup trucks unless the load is properly secured. So if air is being sucked out by this effect, then rolling down the window does work to clear the air better?
dishguy55
I am in a disagreement with some co-workers about cigarette smoke contaminating the air inside a vehicle.

With all windows up except for the driver window which is down approximately 1 inch.

The smoke appears to be directed out the window but the smell of smoke is evident in the back seat.

I would like to prove the concept that even tho it appears the smoke is going out the window it is still contaminating the entire volume of air inside the vehicle.

If there is an article written about this subject please kindly point me to it.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
There's diffusion, where the smoke particles diffuse from an area of higher concentration to that of lower concentration.

There's the understanding of how heavier air particles move towards the back of the car when the car is accelerating.

Bloodthunder said:
There's diffusion, where the smoke particles diffuse from an area of higher concentration to that of lower concentration.

There's the understanding of how heavier air particles move towards the back of the car when the car is accelerating.

I don't think diffusion is the answer to my issue. Smoke floats therefore being lighter in it's non-defused state.

Heavier air particles moving to the back of the vehicle because acceleration forces also implies smoke would be heavier than air.

Great response, just not what i was looking for.

Thank you

C'mon, some common sense! That's neither diffusion nor centrifugal separation. Just air in the car circulates and mixes according to some non-obvious pattern, pretty impossible to be modeled theoretically, but maybe car manufacturer tested it experimantally. Not to protect non-smokers, but to design efficient ventilation and heating/air-conditioning.
The experimental proof that it happens is sufficient anyway: put a blindfolded non-smoker at the back seat and ask her what she smells when the driver is smoking or not.

read post on this forum - Balloons In A Car Jun23-03, 04:53 AM

dishguy55 said:
I am in a disagreement with some co-workers about cigarette smoke contaminating the air inside a vehicle.

With all windows up except for the driver window which is down approximately 1 inch.

The smoke appears to be directed out the window but the smell of smoke is evident in the back seat.

I would like to prove the concept that even tho it appears the smoke is going out the window it is still contaminating the entire volume of air inside the vehicle.

If there is an article written about this subject please kindly point me to it.

Thank you.

I would think that it is simply a matter of the human nose being able to detect cigarette smoke at concentrations that defy visible detection with the human eye. Unfortunately, I cannot think of a citation to support this opinion.

I think the air is drawn towards the window since you have incoming air that flows to the back, but it also will spread out slightly in other directions as well thanks to diffusion and such. Since air is coming into the window, then air is also leaving the car somewhere, so I'm sure the smoke also gets drawn out there with the normal air. All in all I don't think this has any benefit, but I could be wrong.

Drakkith said:
I think the air is drawn towards the window since you have incoming air that flows to the back, but it also will spread out slightly in other directions as well thanks to diffusion and such. Since air is coming into the window, then air is also leaving the car somewhere, so I'm sure the smoke also gets drawn out there with the normal air. All in all I don't think this has any benefit, but I could be wrong.

With the window cracked only an inch, I doubt that any significant amount of air will be coming in that window. The Bernoulli Effect will draw air (and smoke) out at a pretty good clip. This air will be replaced by air coming from sources other than the window. As you pointed out, there will be a certain amount of circulation within the vehicle. A rear-seat passenger should easily be still able to smell tobacco smoke.

This same Bernoulli Effect is why convertible soft-tops are sucked outward while the car is moving and not pushed inward. It will also suck heavy sheets of 4x8 plywood right out of the bed of moving pickup trucks unless the load is properly secured.

So if air is being sucked out by this effect, then rolling down the window does work to clear the air better?

Related to How to understand flow of air in a car

1. How does air flow affect a car's performance?

The flow of air in a car is crucial for its performance as it affects the aerodynamics, cooling system, and engine efficiency. Air flowing over the car creates lift and drag, which can impact handling and fuel efficiency. The flow of air also helps cool down the engine and prevent overheating.

2. What factors affect the flow of air in a car?

The shape and design of the car, as well as its speed, play a significant role in the flow of air. Other factors include weather conditions, such as wind, and the presence of obstacles like other vehicles or buildings.

3. How can I improve the flow of air in my car?

To improve the flow of air in your car, you can make sure to keep the exterior clean and free of debris or dirt. Additionally, installing a spoiler or air dam can help reduce drag and improve aerodynamics. Regular maintenance of the cooling system can also ensure proper airflow to the engine.

4. How can I tell if there is a problem with the air flow in my car?

If you notice a decrease in performance, such as reduced fuel efficiency or overheating, it could indicate a problem with the air flow in your car. Other signs to look out for include unusual noises, vibrations, or visible damage to the exterior of the car.

5. Are there any safety concerns related to the flow of air in a car?

Proper air flow in a car is essential for safety, as it affects the handling and control of the vehicle. Inadequate airflow can also lead to engine overheating, which can be dangerous and cause the car to break down. Therefore, it is crucial to regularly maintain and monitor the air flow in your car.