How to turn a weak acid into a strong acid

• Thread starter Nick tringali
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acid Weak
In summary, this conversation is about how to turn .1M HCL into a super strong acid like 10M or higher HCL. What is the highest M ever recorded for HCL? At what Molarity do I have to wear gloves and avoid skin contact?
snorkack said:
45 Celsius is the boiling point of pure (and non-polymerized) sulphur trioxide.

I specified sufficiently concentrated.
Boiling point of concentrated hydrochloric acid drops rapidly with concentration:
20 % - 108 C
30 % - 90 C
32 % - 84 C
34 % - 71 C
36 % - 61 C
38 % - 48 C
42 % - 20 C
45 % - 0 C
48 % - -18 C
The hydrochloric acid sold by retail seems to go to 32 %, which boils at 90 %.
Scroll up at the post where hydrogen chloride generator is used to feed a funnel... there filled with NaCl/H2SO4 mixture, and heated.
Well, you can use the same arrangement to generate gaseous hydrogen chloride by heating hydrochloric acid above 20 %! Say, 32 % acid would give off mostly HCl and little water Thus you can distil one portion of 32 % acid down to 30 % and absorb the fumes into the other portion of 32 % acid which you are cooling. So you can get from two portions of 32 % acid a portion of 30 % and a portion of 34 % acid. Or if the portions are different size and you are using enough cooling of the second portion, as much as 48 % acid.
Please cite your source as this data does not make sense.

<h2>1. How can I turn a weak acid into a strong acid?</h2><p>There are a few methods for turning a weak acid into a strong acid. One way is by adding a strong acid to the solution, which will increase the concentration of H+ ions and make the solution more acidic. Another method is by increasing the temperature of the solution, which can also increase the concentration of H+ ions and make the acid stronger.</p><h2>2. Can I use a base to turn a weak acid into a strong acid?</h2><p>No, you cannot use a base to turn a weak acid into a strong acid. Bases have a higher pH and will actually neutralize the acid, making it weaker.</p><h2>3. How long does it take to turn a weak acid into a strong acid?</h2><p>The time it takes to turn a weak acid into a strong acid will depend on the method used. Adding a strong acid will have an immediate effect, while increasing the temperature may take a few minutes. It is important to monitor the pH of the solution and make adjustments as needed.</p><h2>4. Is it safe to turn a weak acid into a strong acid?</h2><p>It is generally safe to turn a weak acid into a strong acid, but it is important to handle the chemicals carefully and wear appropriate protective gear. It is also important to dilute the solution properly and dispose of any excess chemicals properly.</p><h2>5. Can I turn any weak acid into a strong acid?</h2><p>Not all weak acids can be turned into strong acids. Some weak acids, such as acetic acid, cannot be converted into strong acids. It is important to research the properties of the specific acid and determine if it can be made stronger.</p>

1. How can I turn a weak acid into a strong acid?

There are a few methods for turning a weak acid into a strong acid. One way is by adding a strong acid to the solution, which will increase the concentration of H+ ions and make the solution more acidic. Another method is by increasing the temperature of the solution, which can also increase the concentration of H+ ions and make the acid stronger.

2. Can I use a base to turn a weak acid into a strong acid?

No, you cannot use a base to turn a weak acid into a strong acid. Bases have a higher pH and will actually neutralize the acid, making it weaker.

3. How long does it take to turn a weak acid into a strong acid?

The time it takes to turn a weak acid into a strong acid will depend on the method used. Adding a strong acid will have an immediate effect, while increasing the temperature may take a few minutes. It is important to monitor the pH of the solution and make adjustments as needed.

4. Is it safe to turn a weak acid into a strong acid?

It is generally safe to turn a weak acid into a strong acid, but it is important to handle the chemicals carefully and wear appropriate protective gear. It is also important to dilute the solution properly and dispose of any excess chemicals properly.

5. Can I turn any weak acid into a strong acid?

Not all weak acids can be turned into strong acids. Some weak acids, such as acetic acid, cannot be converted into strong acids. It is important to research the properties of the specific acid and determine if it can be made stronger.