How to Translate 'There Exists Exactly One Happy Person' into Predicate Logic?

In summary: The maximal scope is what you're looking for. The expression means $(\forall x:A(x))\implies B(x)$, which is what you want.
tmt1
How to translate "there exists exactly one happy person" into predicate logic?

I came up with $$ \exists x : happy(x) \implies \forall y: happy(y) \land y = x$$. But this is incorrect.

I also tried $$\exists x: happy(x) \land \forall y: happy(y) \land x = y$$. This is also incorrect.

The correct answer is :

$$ \exists x : (Happy(x) \land \forall y: Happy(y) \implies x = y))
$$

What is the error in my thinking?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
$x$ or $y$ by themselves do not have truth values. You can't AND the $\text{happy}(y)$ with the $y$. You must predicate something about $y$. So, can you see that you must say $\exists x: \text{happy}(x)?$ This is why your first expression is wrong. An implication doesn't force the IF part to be true!

But why is the first part not enough? Because it gives you existence and not uniqueness. How can you get uniqueness? By forcing all other happy's to be equal to $x$. That's what the rest of the correct expression does.

Your second expression is wrong because it's (sort of) saying that there is a happy $x$, that everything else is happy, and that everything else is equal to $x$. That's WAY stronger than what you mean, isn't it? I would also add that there's probably a scope issue: I'm not sure $x$ is legally allowed to show up in the third expression unless you use parenthesis. Evgeny.Makarov can, I'm sure, give you more details on the correct syntax. He can also correct any faulty explanations on my part. ;)

Ackbach said:
$x$ or $y$ by themselves do not have truth values. You can't AND the $\text{happy}(y)$ with the $y$.
I don't see this in the OP's post, at least after editing.

The first thing to decide is whether the scope of quantifiers is maximal or minimal. Tmt, please look in your textbook and describe the syntactic notations used there. In particular, whether $\forall x:A(x)\implies B(x)$ means $(\forall x:A(x))\implies B(x)$ or $\forall x:(A(x)\implies B(x))$.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
I don't see this in the OP's post, at least after editing.

Ah, yes, I see now. Thanks!

Related to How to Translate 'There Exists Exactly One Happy Person' into Predicate Logic?

1. What is predicate logic?

Predicate logic is a formal system of logic that uses predicates, or statements that describe properties or relationships, to represent and reason about the truth or falsity of statements.

2. How is predicate logic different from propositional logic?

The main difference between predicate logic and propositional logic is that propositional logic deals with simple, atomic statements whereas predicate logic allows for more complex statements that include variables and quantifiers.

3. What is a quantifier in predicate logic?

A quantifier in predicate logic is a symbol that indicates how many objects a variable refers to. The two main quantifiers are the universal quantifier (∀), which means "for all", and the existential quantifier (∃), which means "there exists".

4. How is predicate logic used in mathematics and computer science?

Predicate logic is used in mathematics and computer science to formulate precise definitions and statements, as well as to prove theorems and reason about the properties and behavior of mathematical and computational systems.

5. What is a truth assignment in predicate logic?

A truth assignment in predicate logic is a mapping of truth values (true or false) to each atomic statement in a logical formula. It is used to determine the overall truth or falsity of a logical formula.