How to translate from polar to cartesian coordinates:

In summary, the conversation discusses how to translate the equation r = 2 /(2 - cos(theta)) to cartesian coordinates. The steps taken include multiplying both sides by (2 - cos(theta)), substituting r with xcos(theta), and using the fact that r^2 = x^2 + y^2. The final solution is y = ((-3x^2 + 4x + 4)/4)^1/2, which results in a half ellipse above the x-axis. However, it is noted that taking the square root eliminates half of the graph.
sjombol
How to translate r = 2 /(2 - cos(theta)) to cartesian coordinates:

so far:

r = 2 /(2 - cos(theta))

r = 2 /(2 - cos(theta)) |* (2 - cos(theta)) both sides

r (2 - cos(theta))= 2

2*r - rcos(theta) = 2 | know x = rcos(theta)

2*r - x = 2 | know r^2 = x^2 + y^2

2*(x^2 + y^2)^1/2 - x = 2 | : 2

(x^2 + y^2)^1/2 - x/2 = 1 | opens the parentheses

x^2*1/2 + y^2*1/2 - x/2 = 1

x + y - x/2 = 1

y = 1 - x/2 | is this the solution?

Thank you in advance for help.

Regards
sjombol

Physics news on Phys.org
sjombol said:
How to translate r = 2 /(2 - cos(theta)) to cartesian coordinates:

so far:

r = 2 /(2 - cos(theta))

r (2 - cos(theta))= 2

2*(x^2 + y^2)^1/2 - x = 2 | : 2

(x^2 + y^2)^1/2 - x/2 = 1 | opens the parentheses

x^2*1/2 + y^2*1/2 - x/2 = 1

Is ##\sqrt{a+b} = \sqrt a + \sqrt b##?

Last edited:
It's interesting that you document each step along the way with what you did, and I think that's a good thing. Where you fell down, as LCKurtz notes, is in the step that you describe as "opens the parentheses". The distributive property, which is usually represented something like this -- a(b + c) = ab + ac -- might be what you were thinking. The problem is that that this property applies only to multiplication of a sum. It doesn't apply to expressions raised to powers (including square roots) or other operations.

Thank you both very much for your reply :-)

It's been a while since last time I went to school, guess old habits do die sometimes or at least needs refreshing. Another go then:

r = 2 /(2 - cos(theta))

r (2 - cos(theta))= 2

2*(x^2 + y^2)^1/2 - x = 2 | move x to right side and both sides ^2, gives me:

2^2 * ((x^2 + y^2)^1/2)^2 = (x + 2)^2

4 * (x^2 + y^2) = (x + 2)^2

4x^2 + 4y^2 = x^2 + 4x + 4 | move 4x^2 to right side

4y^2 = x^2 + 4x + 4 - 4x^2

4y^2 = -3x^2 + 4x + 4 | divide by 4 and takes the square root, giving me:y = ((-3x^2 + 4x + 4)/4)^1/2 | the calculator draws this as an half ellipse, above x-axis ?

Last edited:
I didn't check all your steps, but if you only took the positive square root, it wouldn't surprise me if half the graph is missing.

sjombol said:
Thank you both very much for your reply :-)

It's been a while since last time I went to school, guess old habits do die sometimes or at least needs refreshing.

Another go then:

r = 2 /(2 - cos(theta))

r (2 - cos(theta))= 2

2*(x^2 + y^2)^1/2 - x = 2 | move x to right side and both sides ^2, gives me:

2^2 * ((x^2 + y^2)^1/2)^2 = (x + 2)^2

4 * (x^2 + y^2) = (x + 2)^2

4x^2 + 4y^2 = x^2 + 4x + 4 | move 4x^2 to right side

4y^2 = x^2 + 4x + 4 - 4x^2

4y^2 = -3x^2 + 4x + 4 | divide by 4 and takes the square root, giving me:
Why take the square root? You understand that you will be losing half the graph that way, don't you?

y = ((-3x^2 + 4x + 4)/4)^1/2 | the calculator draws this as an half ellipse, above x-axis ?

Related to How to translate from polar to cartesian coordinates:

1. How do I convert polar coordinates to cartesian coordinates?

To convert from polar to cartesian coordinates, you will need to use the following equations:

x = r * cos(theta)

y = r * sin(theta)

Where r is the distance from the origin to the point, and theta is the angle between the positive x-axis and the line connecting the origin to the point. Plug in your values for r and theta to calculate the x and y coordinates.

2. What is the difference between polar and cartesian coordinates?

Polar coordinates use a distance and angle to describe the location of a point, while cartesian coordinates use x and y coordinates. In polar coordinates, the origin is represented by (0,0), while in cartesian coordinates, the origin is represented by (0,0) as well.

3. How do I graph polar coordinates on a cartesian plane?

To graph polar coordinates on a cartesian plane, use the equations mentioned in the first question to calculate the x and y coordinates. Then plot these points on the cartesian plane, with the x-coordinate representing the horizontal axis and the y-coordinate representing the vertical axis.

4. Can negative values be used in polar coordinates?

Yes, negative values can be used in polar coordinates. The distance, r, can be a negative value if the point is located in the opposite direction from the origin. The angle, theta, can also be negative if the point is located in the lower half of the polar plane.

5. What are some real-life applications of converting from polar to cartesian coordinates?

Converting from polar to cartesian coordinates is commonly used in navigation and mapping systems, as well as in physics and engineering for calculating the position of objects in 2D or 3D space. It is also used in polar graphs and charts, such as in weather forecasting to plot temperature and pressure data.