Calculating Net Force on a Third Charge Using Coloumb's Law

• Thread starter Cyto
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of electric fields and forces between charged particles. One member asks for help in determining the force on a third charge placed in between two other charges, while another member explains the principle of superposition and how to find the net force on the third charge. The conversation then shifts to a variation of the problem where the third charge's location is unknown, and another member attempts to solve it. The conversation ends with a member asking about vectors and expressing electric fields as vectors.
Cyto
HEHE me again.. i was going to post this Q in the same thread as the last, but i didn't think you guys would see it...

here's the Q... A point charge of 3.8x10^-6 is placed 0.20 m to the right of a charge of -2.0x10^-6. What is the force on a third charge of 2.3x10^-6 if it is placed where the third charge would experience a net force of zero.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you copied the problem incorrectly. If the third charge is placed so the force on it is zero, then the force on it is zero.

- Warren

oops here...

A point charge of 3.8x10^-6 is placed 0.20 m to the right of a charge of -2.0x10^-6. What is the force on a third charge of 2.3x10^-6 if it is placed

d) Where would the third charge experience a net force of zero?

i got the answers for a), b) and c).. just need help on d)

they changed the question basically to WHERE would the third object be placed to get a force where they equal each other so that the object doesn't move...

Do you understand (and can you explain to me) the principle of superposition?

Can you explain to me what happens when a particle experiences two forces in opposite directions?

- Warren

no.. can't say that i do...

Originally posted by Cyto
no.. can't say that i do...
Okay. :smile: Let's start there.

The first thing you need to know about electric fields is that they just add right on top of one another.

Imagine that you have one particle all by itself -- a proton, say. It creates an electric field all around itself that tends to pull negative particles toward it. You know how to calculate the force that would be experienced by a particle in that field -- it's just Coulomb's law.

Now, imagine that you add a second particle (of any arbitrary charge). What happens? Well, the field due to the first particle stays exactly the same -- it is completely unaffected by the new charge.

The new charge, however, exerts a field of its own. It may be in opposition, or in concert, with the field of the first.

Imagine that the fields created by both particles are like the transparencies you'd use on an overhead projector. You can put down a tranparency with the field due to the first particle drawn on it. Then you can stack another transparency with the field due to the second particle right on top. The total field is just the sum of the two individual fields. This is called the principle of superposition.

So we've established that the total force on test particle (the third, movable charge in this problem) is divided up into two parts: some due to the first particle, and some due to the second.

As you know from playing tug-o-war, if you pull on an object from both directions with equal force, the object won't move. This is what has to happen in this problem -- the first particle has to pull just as hard as the second, in the opposite direction.

Let's assume that the x-axis is horizontal, and goes through both particles. Let's assume that the first charge, [tex]\inline{q_1 = 3.8 \cdot 10^{-6} C}[/tex] is at the origin of this coordinate system, while the second charge, [tex]\inline{q_2 = -2.0 \cdot 10^{-6} C}[/tex] is at the position [tex]\inline{x_2 = 0.20 m}[/tex].

What's the total force experienced by the third, test particle?

It's the sum of two copies of Coulomb's law:

[tex]F_\textrm{total} = \frac{k q_1 q_3}{r_1^2} + \frac{k q_2 q_3}{r_2^2} = 0[/tex]

where [tex]\inline{r_1}[/tex] is the distance between the first and third charges, and [tex]\inline{r_2}[/tex] is the distance between the second and third charges.

All you need to do is solve for either [tex]\inline{r_1}[/tex] or [tex]\inline{r_2}[/tex]. Does this make sense?

- Warren

yeah i think i got it... thanks again...

slight variation?

hi i have a slight variation to the same problem and was wondering how it might differently be solved:

A positive charge of +5.4 µC is located at the origin, and a -2.0 µC charge is placed 17.0 cm away on the +x axis. At what location on the x-axis can a third charge be placed so that it experiences no net force?

i understand superposition and the application of coulomb's law but i do not understand how to do this problem when the third charge is an unknown.

any help would be suuper.

Assume it to be q and solve hence

no luck

tried my good man, but no dice.

any other suggestions?

nevermind, I am just a big dummy

thanks for your help guy.

While were on C's LAw

Seeing as how this post is on E fields etc, I have a question about 2 charged Particles placed .3m apart and a third point is placed equidistant away from each point(3 points for an equilateral triangle) a 3rd charged particle is placed at Point P.
I can get my E fields but I am left with 2 Vectors Therefore, I have to figure out the F at P4,I don't know how to multiply vectors, I have only added them to this point.
FYI Q1+39 microC, Q2-26 microC Q3-36 microC. So know what and can an electric field be expressed as a vector.

Thanks"feeling negatively Charged"

You can start it as new post

And what is P4 There is no multiplications involved as far as i know

Any way

[tex]\vec{E}=\frac{kq \vec{r}}{r^3}[/tex] where r has the direction from the charge to the point where field is to evaluated

U should take the sign of charge as well

Last edited:

1. What is Coloumb's Law Part II?

Coloumb's Law Part II is a mathematical formula that describes the relationship between the electric force between two charged objects and the distance between them. It is an extension of Coloumb's Law, which only applies to point charges, and takes into account the size and shape of the charged objects.

2. How is Coloumb's Law Part II different from Coloumb's Law?

Coloumb's Law Part II takes into account the size and shape of the charged objects, whereas Coloumb's Law only applies to point charges. This means that Coloumb's Law Part II can be used to calculate the electric force between more complex objects, such as spheres and cylinders.

3. What is the mathematical formula for Coloumb's Law Part II?

The formula for Coloumb's Law Part II is F = k * (q1 * q2) / d^2, where F is the electric force, k is the Coulomb constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the two objects, and d is the distance between them.

4. What are some real-life applications of Coloumb's Law Part II?

Coloumb's Law Part II has many applications in our daily lives, such as in the design of electronic devices, the study of atomic and molecular interactions, and the understanding of the behavior of particles in electric fields.

5. What are the limitations of Coloumb's Law Part II?

Coloumb's Law Part II assumes that the charged objects are stationary and do not change their shape or size. It also does not take into account other factors that may affect the electric force, such as the presence of other charged objects or the effects of relativity.