How to take the fourier transform of a function?

In summary, the problem at hand is finding the Fourier transform of x(t) = e-t sin(t) for t >= 0. The student is struggling to understand the concept of Fourier transform and the equations involved, but has attempted to find a solution using e-t = cos(t) + j sin(t). However, the integral seems too complex and the discussion of using convolution in the frequency domain is brought up. Eventually, it is determined that the integral is not as difficult as initially thought and can be solved without using convolution.
XcKyle93

Homework Statement

Find the Fourier transform of x(t) = e-t sin(t), t >=0.

We're barely 3 weeks into my signals course, and my professor has already introduced the Fourier transform. I barely understand what it means, but I just want to get through this problem set.

Homework Equations

I honestly don't know. I know it's an improper integral with bounds -∞ and ∞, that is
∫x(t)e-j2∏tdt

The Attempt at a Solution

I get something VERY LONG which does not seem right.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How can sin(t) expressed in exponential notation?

BTW your integral is missing dt. It is dt, right?

Yes, that is correct.

I know that sin(t) = (1/2) * j * (e-t - et), so x(t) = (1/2)*j*(et(-j-1) - et(j-1)). But then I'd have something really painful to integrate, right?

You're right, can't do it that way. Will come back to you in a short while.

Looks like convolution in the frequency domain is the way to go. You remember the convolution theorem?

So you'll need F(ω) for f(t) = exp(-at) and f(t) = sin(ωt), both for t > 0 and both = 0 for t < 0. The first one is easy; let me know how you're managing with the second ... remember when you take F(ω) to integrate from 0 to ∞, not -∞ to +∞.

EDIT: never mind convolution. You can do the integral.

The integral is not as bad as you think. Key point is that lim t→∞ {e-(a + jb)t} = 0 providing a > 0 which it is in your case.

Last edited:

Related to How to take the fourier transform of a function?

What is the Fourier Transform?

The Fourier Transform is a mathematical operation that decomposes a function into its constituent frequencies. It transforms a function from the time or spatial domain to the frequency domain.

Why is the Fourier Transform useful?

The Fourier Transform is useful because it allows us to analyze the frequency components of a signal or function. This is important in many fields such as signal processing, image processing, and communication systems.

How do you take the Fourier Transform of a function?

To take the Fourier Transform of a function, you need to use an integral equation known as the Fourier Transform formula. This formula involves integrating the function with respect to frequency, and then multiplying by a complex exponential term.

What are the properties of the Fourier Transform?

Some of the properties of the Fourier Transform include linearity, time-shifting, frequency-shifting, and convolution. These properties make it a powerful tool in analyzing and manipulating signals and functions.

What is the relationship between the Fourier Transform and the Inverse Fourier Transform?

The Fourier Transform and the Inverse Fourier Transform are inverse operations of each other. This means that given the Fourier Transform of a function, the Inverse Fourier Transform can be used to recover the original function. This relationship is also known as the Fourier Inversion Theorem.