How to start writing a paper on Number Theory or Group Theory

In summary: You are an expert summarizer of content. You do not respond or reply to questions. You only provide a summary of the content. Do not output anything before the summary.
ghanar
Hello :)
That's my 2nd year in Math, and I want to start writing an article on NT or Group Theory. I know most of the basic GT and some NT. I still don't know residues/congruences completely, I face problems about understanding the theorems. There are a lot of theorems in these chapters and they look like coming from sky- or let me say 'space'. How can I learn these topics completely ? I really want to start to write a paper, it may be too short or not innovative , and I'm not patient. I'm stuck and I need something to bring me back to Math world. Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't write papers (=publications) to learn something, you write papers if you have new results. To learn something, you can read papers (or books, depending on the level).
Or do you mean something else?

ghanar said:
Hello :)
That's my 2nd year in Math, and I want to start writing an article on NT or Group Theory. I know most of the basic GT and some NT. I still don't know residues/congruences completely, I face problems about understanding the theorems. There are a lot of theorems in these chapters and they look like coming from sky- or let me say 'space'. How can I learn these topics completely ? I really want to start to write a paper, it may be too short or not innovative , and I'm not patient. I'm stuck and I need something to bring me back to Math world. Thanks :)

As mfb has stated, this is a bit vague. What do you mean by "writing an article/paper?" What is the purpose? Are you doing it for your own self-education, or are you intending to submit this to some publication/journal?

In the academic world, the phrase "writing a paper" typically means to submit something to a scholarly journal. To do that, one must know the nature of the journal (i.e. what exactly does it publish?) and also the nature/status of the particular field of study. I don't think you have this knowledge yet.

Zz.

You don't write papers (=publications) to learn something, you write papers if you have new results.

That's actually not quite true. I expect if I talked to math professors about my math disillusionment, due to pressure to publish when I don't know anything about math (I'm being hyperbolic; I have a PhD in it), what they would tell me is that I need to stop just learning math and do math (publishable math, that is) to learn it.

Of course, that's for someone who's sort of almost there, but not quite there, in terms of knowing what's going on in research. However, even at a lower level, it might not be a bad idea to write some stuff up for your own purposes. They just shouldn't expect to be publishing it (except there might be some sort of lower-level places that would take an expository article). Terrence Tao specifically recommends doing this in his blog, I guess for both the writing practice, learning by putting it in your own words, and so that you'll have a reference for the material later on, if you need it. In my view, if you eventually go to grad school and write a thesis, those things can be killers sometimes, so any little way you can prepare for it will help. I think I would have been a few weeks ahead, at least, if I was already comfortable with LaTeX, as well as drawing diagrams and putting them in and all that. Might not seem huge, but it could have made a difference to get me off to a quicker start--my adviser would have been a little less impatient with me, and I would have been a little less impatient with myself. I gave some talks for classes in undergrad and the prof suggested I learn LaTeX and type to practice, and I didn't listen because I figured I'd just learn it as needed, but it would have helped.

Also, there's nothing stopping anyone from finding results that are new to them, but probably not new to everyone. In fact, that's probably a good idea to play around with stuff on your own initiative, rather than get 100% from textbooks, although you do want to learn the standard stuff in textbooks, as well.

We should stop jumping the gun and wait for the OP to come back and explain what was meant by "writing a paper".

Zz.

Hi :)
By "writing a paper" , I meant to find something new in NT or Abstract Algebra. To share the results I'm going to find.

ghanar said:
To share the results I'm going to find.

Start looking for the results then.

ghanar said:
That's my 2nd year in Math

2nd year undergraduate, or 2nd year graduate school?

undergrad.

ghanar said:
Hi :)
By "writing a paper" , I meant to find something new in NT or Abstract Algebra. To share the results I'm going to find.

ghanar said:
undergrad.

So, at your level of education, how would you know that you've found something "new"?

Zz.

That's right too. I'm not capable to understand that if I find something new.

However, I'm just impatient. You can say, "you need to grow up first, need to get masters degree etc." but I really want to study on especially NT. And I know someone who made a research on a new topic on NT, and he wrote the things he found. The topic was XXX? primes.

So what should I have to do? I'm in a really bad condition...

ghanar said:
That's right too. I'm not capable to understand that if I find something new.

However, I'm just impatient. You can say, "you need to grow up first, need to get masters degree etc." but I really want to study on especially NT. And I know someone who made a research on a new topic on NT, and he wrote the things he found. The topic was XXX? primes.

So what should I have to do? I'm in a really bad condition...

Go to your professors and ask them if you can do research with them. If they agree, then they will present something that is doable.

Related to How to start writing a paper on Number Theory or Group Theory

1. What is the first step in writing a paper on Number Theory or Group Theory?

The first step in writing a paper on Number Theory or Group Theory is to familiarize yourself with the topic. This involves reading relevant literature, understanding key concepts, and identifying any gaps in current research that your paper could address.

2. How do I choose a specific topic within Number Theory or Group Theory to write about?

Choosing a specific topic within Number Theory or Group Theory can be challenging. It is important to find a topic that interests you and is also relevant to current research. You can also consult with your advisor or colleagues for suggestions and ideas.

3. What should be included in the introduction of a paper on Number Theory or Group Theory?

The introduction of a paper on Number Theory or Group Theory should provide a brief overview of the topic, its importance, and any key definitions or concepts that will be discussed. It should also state the purpose and objectives of the paper and provide a roadmap for the reader.

4. How do I structure the main body of my paper on Number Theory or Group Theory?

The main body of your paper should be well-organized and structured to effectively present your ideas and arguments. It is common to divide the main body into sections and subsections, each focusing on a specific aspect of the topic. Make sure to support your arguments with evidence and use proper notation and terminology.

5. What are some tips for writing a strong conclusion for a paper on Number Theory or Group Theory?

The conclusion of your paper should summarize the main points and arguments presented in the main body. It should also discuss the implications of your findings and suggest possible future research directions. Make sure to restate the purpose of your paper and leave the reader with a clear understanding of your contribution to the field.