How to start this off ( chem ?)

• Thread starter 2slowtogofast
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chem
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of plating a steel part with a 0.002 in thick layer of nickel, and the question of how many atoms of nickel would be required for a surface area of 200 in^2. The approach mentioned involves finding the volume of the nickel layer by multiplying the surface area with the thickness, and then using the density of nickel to calculate the mass. However, the numbers obtained did not seem accurate. The conversation ends with a request for assistance with the calculations.
2slowtogofast
in order to plate a steel part that has a surface area of 200 in^2 with a 0.002 in thick layer of nickle, how many atoms of nickle are required

not looking for an answer i just need help on what to do. i know how to find how many atoms of somthing when given the weight. just not sure what to do in this case. i was thinking find the volume by 200 * 0.002 then using the density of nickle to find the mass and then go from there. But the numbers i was getting didt seem right.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your approach looks correct. Can you show us the calculations?

To start off, you will need to convert the surface area of the steel part from square inches to square meters. This can be done by dividing the surface area by 1550 (since 1 square inch = 0.00064516 square meters). This will give you the surface area in square meters.

Next, you will need to find the volume of the nickel layer. This can be done by multiplying the surface area in square meters by the thickness of the layer in meters (0.002 inches = 0.0000508 meters). This will give you the volume of the nickel layer in cubic meters.

Now, you can use the density of nickel to find the mass of the nickel layer. The density of nickel is 8.908 g/cm^3 or 8.908*10^6 g/m^3. Multiply this density by the volume you calculated earlier to get the mass of the nickel layer in grams.

Finally, you can use the atomic mass of nickel (58.6934 g/mol) to calculate the number of atoms required. Divide the mass of the nickel layer by the atomic mass to get the number of moles. Then, multiply the number of moles by Avogadro's number (6.022*10^23 atoms/mol) to get the total number of atoms required.

In summary, the steps to start off would be:
1. Convert the surface area of the steel part from square inches to square meters.
2. Calculate the volume of the nickel layer in cubic meters.
3. Use the density of nickel to find the mass of the nickel layer in grams.
4. Use the atomic mass of nickel to calculate the number of atoms required.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to How to start this off ( chem ?)

1. What are the basic steps to start a chemistry experiment?

The basic steps to start a chemistry experiment include gathering all necessary materials and equipment, reading and understanding the experiment procedure, setting up the experiment in a safe and organized manner, and recording any initial observations or measurements.

2. How do I ensure safety when starting a chemistry experiment?

To ensure safety when starting a chemistry experiment, make sure to wear appropriate personal protective equipment, such as gloves and safety goggles. Additionally, be aware of any potential hazards and follow proper handling and disposal procedures for chemicals.

3. How do I properly measure and mix chemicals?

To properly measure and mix chemicals, use precise measuring tools, such as graduated cylinders and balances, and carefully follow the experiment procedure. Make sure to mix chemicals in the correct order and slowly and gently to avoid spills or reactions.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when starting a chemistry experiment?

Common mistakes to avoid when starting a chemistry experiment include not reading the experiment procedure thoroughly, not wearing proper personal protective equipment, and not following proper handling and disposal procedures for chemicals. It is also important to double check measurements and mix chemicals in the correct order.

5. How can I ensure accurate and reliable results from my chemistry experiment?

To ensure accurate and reliable results from a chemistry experiment, make sure to follow the experiment procedure carefully and record all observations and measurements accurately. It is also important to use clean and calibrated equipment and to repeat the experiment multiple times to confirm results.