How to start hacking electronics

In summary: Make-an-Arduino- LCD-Screen-from-a-3-Inch- LCD/In summary, if you want to interface an LCD with an Arduino, you should search for an LCD with a built in serial port.
jehan60188
got my hands on a keychain-lcd-picture frame thingy
there are 30 pins!
how do i figure out what pin does what?
thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
cool, thanks. there's black stuff over (what i suspect to be) the main I/C, but there's another one with tiny-tiny writing that I'm going to try magnifying tonight
anyone else have tips/pointers?

This is the worst era for hacking electronics. They've got everything tucked away in microprocessors or custom chips, or a mix of both.
If you have a dab of black goop on a chip, it's most likely COB - chip on board. That's where they glue the chip to the board, bond wires from the chip to some nearby pads, and bury the whole thing under an epoxy to protect it from the environment.
This is a very cheap form of construction, and generaly the parts die after a few years from slow contamination through the board.

If you want to get started, I'd recommend browsing the net for electronics forums, maybe buying a Don Lancaster book or a book about programming little chips, like the PIC chips. Also, hackaday.com has some really fun projects.

Best Luck

Mike

@jedishrfu, my goal is to interface an LCD with an arduino (nano came in the mail today!)
I guess i should try to find an LCD with a built in serial port?

Related to How to start hacking electronics

1. What equipment do I need to start hacking electronics?

To start hacking electronics, you will need a basic set of tools including a soldering iron, wire cutters, pliers, a multimeter, and a breadboard. You may also need specific components for the project you are working on, such as resistors, capacitors, and LEDs.

2. Do I need to have a background in electronics or programming to start hacking?

While having a background in electronics or programming can be helpful, it is not necessary to start hacking electronics. There are many online resources and tutorials available that can teach you the basics and guide you through projects. With dedication and practice, anyone can learn how to hack electronics.

3. How do I choose a project to start with?

When choosing a project to start with, it is important to consider your skill level and the equipment and components you have available. Start with a simple project, such as building a simple circuit, and gradually work your way up to more complex projects as you gain experience and knowledge.

4. Is there a risk involved in hacking electronics?

There is always a risk involved when working with electronics, especially if you are not familiar with the equipment and components. It is important to take safety precautions, such as wearing protective gear and turning off power sources before working on circuits. It is also a good idea to start with low voltage projects and gradually work your way up to higher voltages as you gain experience and knowledge.

5. Where can I find resources to learn more about hacking electronics?

There are many online resources available for learning how to hack electronics, such as tutorials, forums, and online courses. You can also find books and attend workshops or classes in your local community. Experimenting and learning from others is also a great way to gain knowledge and skills in hacking electronics.