How to solve when x is an exponent and a base

In summary, to solve for x in an expression of the form ax = xb, you can manipulate the equation to fit the Lambert W function. This involves taking the bth root of both sides and using the Lambert W function, which is defined as the inverse function to f(x)= xex. This can be used to calculate the value of x, but there are also numerical methods such as Newton's method that can be used.
JungleJesus
Just out of curiosity, I was wondering how to solve for x in an expression of the form
ax = xb

It kinda tripped me out at first.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
There is no way in general to solve this kind of equation in terms of elementary functions.

You can try manipulating it to fit the lambert W function I think.

Anonymous217 said:
You can try manipulating it to fit the lambert W function I think.
Yes. Taking the "b"th root of both sides, [itex](a^{1/b})^x= x[/itex] so that [itex]1= xe^{-(1/b)(ln a)x}[/itex]. Multiply on both sides by -(1/b)ln a: [itex]-(1/b)ln a[/itex][itex]= (-(1/b)(ln a)x)e^{-(1/b)(ln a)x}[/itex].

Letting y= -(1/b)(ln a)x, that becomes [itex]ye^y= -(1/b)ln a[/itex]. Using the Lambert W function (which is defined as the inverse function to f(x)= xex) we have y= W(-(1/b)ln a).

Then [itex]x= -\frac{b}{ln a}W(-(1/b)ln a)[/itex]

HallsofIvy said:
Letting y= -(1/b)(ln a)x, that becomes [itex]ye^y= -(1/b)ln a[/itex]. Using the Lambert W function (which is defined as the inverse function to f(x)= xex) we have y= W(-(1/b)ln a).

Then [itex]x= -\frac{b}{ln a}W(-(1/b)ln a)[/itex]

Is there any way to simplify this expression, or is this the bare bones? How would one procede to calculate this value?

JungleJesus said:
Is there any way to simplify this expression, or is this the bare bones? How would one procede to calculate this value?

There are numerical methods, like Newton's method or the secant method, that can give numerical values for the W function -- or even your original function directly. (If you just want the W function, there are optimizations that can be used to make it go faster.)

Related to How to solve when x is an exponent and a base

1. How do I solve for x when it is both an exponent and a base?

The first step is to rewrite the equation so that x is only either an exponent or a base, but not both. For example, if you have an equation like x^x = 4, you can rewrite it as x = 4^(1/x). Then, you can solve for x using algebraic manipulation or trial and error.

2. Can I use logarithms to solve for x when it is both an exponent and a base?

Yes, you can use logarithms to solve for x in equations where x is both an exponent and a base. You can use the logarithm rule log(a^b) = b*log(a) to rewrite the equation and then solve for x using the properties of logarithms.

3. Are there any other methods for solving equations with x as an exponent and a base?

Yes, there are other methods such as substitution, factoring, or using the quadratic formula. The best method to use will depend on the specific equation and your comfort level with each method.

4. Are there any special cases to consider when solving for x when it is both an exponent and a base?

Yes, there are a few special cases to consider. One is when the base is a negative number, in which case the solution may involve imaginary numbers. Another is when the exponent is a fraction, in which case the solution may involve taking the root of a number. It is important to check for these special cases and handle them accordingly when solving for x.

5. How can I check if my solution for x in an equation with x as an exponent and a base is correct?

To check if your solution is correct, you can substitute your value for x back into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. Another way is to graph the equation and your solution on a coordinate plane to see if they intersect at the same point.