A New Naturalist Philosophy On the Rise

In summary, the conversation revolves around the use of the term "Bright" and its perceived elitism. The participants also discuss their beliefs as atheists and agnostics, with one stating that the use of labels like "evil" and "good" is not viable. They also mention the possibility of a god, but ultimately conclude that there is not enough evidence to believe in one.
Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Carlos Hernandez
http://www.the-brights.net/
A not-so-bright idea. I'm a huge fan of Dawkins, but this is just silly.

See http://www.secularhumanism.org/library/fi/dowret_24_1.htm [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
That's... stupid.

The use of the word "Bright" has been discussed to death on the JREF boards...

While my pattern of thinking is a definition of a "Bright", I won't be adopting the title. Too elitist in my opinion, I'm happy being an Evil Atheist...

Originally posted by Yahweh
...I'm happy being an Evil Atheist...
Me too! :smile:

I am an evil atheist too!

However...

The idea of a god may be lunacy but it is not impossible. Whether I am evil or not is unknown as I we all strive to gain pleasure and evade pain, therefore all action are evil and good or neither. So we can assume that the definitions for good and evil are not abstract enough to be considerred viable for usage.

Therefore,

I am an agnostic-atheist. Though nothing is for certain, even this statement. So I may not be, though due to the lack of evidence to suggest otherwise, other than the fact that people can lie and I may being here and amongst other relevant scenarios, to believe otherwise is lunacy.

:smile:

other than the fact that I may be lying and possible other relevant scenarios**

1. What is a New Naturalist Philosophy?

A New Naturalist Philosophy is a way of thinking that emphasizes the importance of understanding and respecting the natural world. It promotes the idea that humans are a part of nature and should strive to live in harmony with it, rather than dominating or exploiting it.

2. How does a New Naturalist Philosophy differ from traditional environmentalism?

While traditional environmentalism often focuses on preserving specific ecosystems or protecting certain species, a New Naturalist Philosophy takes a more holistic approach. It recognizes the interconnectedness of all living things and seeks to promote a sustainable and balanced relationship between humans and the natural world.

3. What are the key principles of a New Naturalist Philosophy?

The key principles of a New Naturalist Philosophy include a deep respect for nature, a recognition of the intrinsic value of all living beings, a commitment to preserving biodiversity, and a belief in the importance of living in harmony with nature.

4. How can a New Naturalist Philosophy be applied in everyday life?

A New Naturalist Philosophy can be applied in everyday life through actions such as reducing one's carbon footprint, supporting sustainable practices, and engaging in conservation efforts. It also involves a mindset shift towards viewing nature as a source of inspiration, wonder, and respect.

5. What are the potential benefits of adopting a New Naturalist Philosophy?

Adopting a New Naturalist Philosophy can lead to a greater appreciation and understanding of the natural world, improved conservation efforts, and a more sustainable and harmonious relationship between humans and the environment. It can also promote a more mindful and fulfilling way of living that is in tune with nature.