How to solve the instantaneous center problem for rotating tires?

In summary, the conversation discusses the motion of a lower tire in relation to an upper tire. The velocity of points A, B, and C are determined, and it is noted that point D is instantaneously stationary. The concept of "no slipping" is also explained.
yugeci

Homework Statement

2e401042868e57db85fa7d9b4768c7af.png

Homework Equations

v = rw

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure where to begin, honestly. For part (a), the angular velocity w will be v/r for the lower tire and upper tire both so all I need is the right values of v and r. Now for r, what is the reference point supposed to be? If I measured r from point D, rc would be r and rA would be 3r. But these are obviously wrong according to the solutions. And I know the velocity at point P will be 0 since there is no slipping, but I have no idea how to get the velocity of the other points (and what about other arbitrary points on the tires..?)

Another thing that bothers me is that according to the solution, the upper tire is going CCW. How is that possible when the velocity is going towards the right? Shouldn't the upper tire be going CW and the lower tire CCW?

Also how do we find the instantaneous center of points A, B and C? When they all are parallel and we don't know the magnitudes.

I've been struggling to solve this problem and haven't gotten anywhere in 2 hours so help would greatly be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider just the lower tire first. The presence of the upper tire does not affect the motion of the lower tire, agreed?
What is the forward velocity of the bit of tire at point P? What is the forward velocity of point A?
You can concentrate on PAB as though it is just a rod, briefly. What do the above answers tell you about the forward velocity of point B?
Which way is the tire rotating, and how fast?
When you've got all those right, we can move onto the upper tire.

The mechanic is walking forwards, so the lower wheel must rotate CW because there is no slipping at point P. The upper wheel progresses forwards along with the mechanic but without any slipping of contact surfaces at point B. To see which way these must turn, try this using a pair of coins or jam jar lids if you find it difficult to run as a thought experiment.

r is the distance from the periphery to the wheel's centre of rotation, meaning it's the wheel radius

How do you know or why do you have to consider the lower tire first? If I do that I got Va, Vb and Vc right, but I am unsure why Vd is zero.

Also what exactly does "no slipping" mean? I don't think I am understanding that clearly as well.

yugeci said:
How do you know or why do you have to consider the lower tire first?
The movement of the lower tire is determined by its contact with the ground and the given overall forward motion, so you can consider it independently of the upper tire. But the movement of the upper tire depends on what the lower tire is doing.
yugeci said:
I got Va, Vb and Vc right, but I am unsure why Vd is zero.
In the lower tire, P is instantaneously stationary (it is the instantaneous centre of rotation), and A is moving forward at speed v. B is twice as far from P as A is, so it moves forward at speed 2v. Likewise, C is only moving forward at speed v, so to keep BCD straight D must be moving backwards at speed v relative to C, so is instantaneously stationary. Indeed, you could place a ceiling at height 4r and the upper tire would happily roll along that.
yugeci said:
what exactly does "no slipping"
It means that the two surfaces in contact have no relative motion parallel to the contact. In consequence, the frictional force between them does no work.

Related to How to solve the instantaneous center problem for rotating tires?

What is the Instantaneous Center Problem?

The Instantaneous Center Problem is a fundamental concept in mechanics that involves determining the instantaneous center of rotation of a body in motion. It is used to analyze the motion of rigid bodies and understand the relationship between the forces acting on the body and its motion.

How is the Instantaneous Center determined?

The Instantaneous Center is determined by finding the intersection point of the perpendicular lines drawn from two points on the body that are in motion. This point represents the center of rotation at that instant in time.

What is the significance of the Instantaneous Center in mechanics?

The Instantaneous Center is significant because it helps to simplify the analysis of the motion of rigid bodies. It allows us to treat the body as a point and focus on its rotational motion rather than its translational motion.

Can the Instantaneous Center change during motion?

Yes, the Instantaneous Center can change during motion, as it represents the center of rotation at a specific instant in time. As the body moves and its direction or speed changes, the location of the Instantaneous Center will also change.

How is the Instantaneous Center used in real-world applications?

The Instantaneous Center is used in various real-world applications, such as in the design of machinery and vehicles. It helps engineers and designers to understand the motion and forces acting on a body and make improvements to its design for better performance and efficiency.