Finding the Tangent Line to a Level Curve at a Given Point: How Do I Do It?

In summary, you are trying to find the equation of a line that is perpendicular to the gradient vector at a point and goes through the point. You first use the fact that the dot-product of two vectors is zero when they are parallel, and then use the equation of the tangent to find the line.
pezzang
Hi, I had problem solving one question.
Please help me. I included my answers. Please check to make sure that my way is right.
1. IF f(x,y) = x^2 +4y^2, find the gradient vector f(2,1) and use it to find the tanenet line to the level curve f(x,y) = 8 in the xy-plane at the point (2,1).

I solved this way:

f(x,y) = x^2 + 4y^2
gradient f(x,y) = <fsubx, fsuby>
fsubx = 2x
fsuby = 8y
therefore, gradient f(x,y) = <2x,8y>
gradient f(2,1) = <4,8>
f(x,y) = 8

HOW DO I FIND THE EQUATION OF TANGENT LINE?
- I know how to find the equation of tangent plane, but i don't know how to find line. If you can tell me how to find it, i would greatly appreciate your help and intellect.

AND, please make sure that What i did until now is right.
Thank you so much.

Physics news on Phys.org
You want to find ANY vector that is parallel to the gradient at the point specified, and then simplify it.

Do this using the fact that the dot-product of two vectors is zero when they are parallel.

That is, if X, Y are vectors, then they are parallel if and only if
X dot Y = 0 .

So, let X = <x,y> and we have grad(F(2, 1)) = <4,8>.

The equation of the tangent is thus <x,y> dot <4, 8> = 0.

Or, 4x + 8y = 0.
Or, y = -x/2.

pnaj- you used "parallel" when you meant "perpendicular"!

Also, 4x+ 8y= 0 is NOT tangent to the level curve f(x,y) = 8 in the xy-plane at the point (2,1). For one thing, it doesn't go through (2, 1)!

Yes, the gradient is perpendicular to the level curve and the tangent to ax+ by= c is perependicular to <a, b> so we can take
a= 4, b= 8. We then calculate c so that the line goes throught (2, 1). At (2, 1), 4x+ 8y= c become 8+ 8= 16. The tangent line to
f(x,y)= 8 at (2, 1) is 4x+ 8y= 16.

Doh!

Thanks for the correction!

1. What is a multivariable question?

A multivariable question is a question that involves more than one independent variable and one dependent variable. This means that the question is looking at the relationship between multiple factors and how they affect an outcome.

2. How is a multivariable question different from a single variable question?

A single variable question only looks at the relationship between one independent variable and one dependent variable. A multivariable question looks at the relationship between multiple independent variables and one dependent variable.

3. Why is it important to ask multivariable questions in research?

Multivariable questions allow for a more comprehensive and accurate understanding of the relationship between different factors and an outcome. They also help to control for confounding variables and provide a more complete picture of the phenomenon being studied.

4. What are some examples of multivariable questions?

Examples of multivariable questions include: "How does age, gender, and socioeconomic status affect academic achievement?", "What is the relationship between exercise, diet, and stress levels on overall health?", and "How do different teaching methods, class size, and student engagement impact academic performance?"

5. How can researchers analyze multivariable questions?

There are various statistical methods that can be used to analyze multivariable questions, such as regression analysis, ANOVA, and correlation analysis. These methods help to determine the strength and direction of the relationships between the variables and the outcome.